Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Concealed Carrying & Personal Protection > Why train/practice defensive scenarios?

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-28-2013, 10:13 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 284 Times on 246 Posts

Default Why train/practice defensive scenarios?

I really, truly don't understand it.

Doctors, please correct me if and where I'm wrong here...

This whole concept of "muscle memory" is the biggest joke ever. My understanding is that muscles don't have anything the brain doesn't give them, other than mass. It's truly the most fundamental and elementary of truths, that the musculatory system simply reacts to electrical impulses sent from the brain.

So, the only muscle with memory is the brain and understanding that most basic of facts, training yourself to react to a specific situation in a specific way is a matter of conditioning. Now to understand what conditioning is. It's a set up for failure!

This is what's wrong with all of you and all of your ideas of defensive drills. You're conditioning yourselves to respond to a singular dimensional scenario, but nothing is so streamline in murder or attack.

This isn't the military, the bad guy isn't trained to fight any particular way that you can practice for, this isn't football, there's no position to guard, thus you SHOULD NOT train to defend so specifically!

Learn good shooting stances and grips, absolutely! Understand pressure points and general defensive positions and concepts, yes. But DO NOT "train" for anything more than being aware and present.

Example, training to move during altercation. Great, but where to move? What if attack is left, or behind, or beyond, or front center, or etc, or etc, or etc...

Take things at more of a face value, your instinct will take control and do the right thing there. Stop over-estimating things.

Anyway, this is my take, based on my understanding and person experiences. I'm no doctor nor have I been more than mugged, pistol whipped, and jumped before. This just seems the most logical thing to me.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 05-28-2013, 10:51 PM   #2

Liked 1616 Times on 944 Posts
Likes Given: 1894

Do you do anything that you did best on your first try? Or are you more like real people and with practice gain proficiency over time?

The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants.
Thomas Jefferson

johnr1943 Likes This 
Old 05-28-2013, 10:55 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrumJunkie View Post
Do you do anything that you did best on your first try? Or are you more like real people and with practice gain proficiency over time?
Poor logic here. I'm not advocating to never shoot, maybe I didn't make that clear.
Old 05-28-2013, 11:01 PM   #4

No, sound logic. Anyone can stand and slow fire a target. But can you bring a weapon fmr a holster to target while moving and do it in just a couple/few seconds?

You can't expect to be able to do something so involved without knowing how to do it. At the very least people should train to bring a weapon on target and fire two/three rounds in under four seconds.

The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants.
Thomas Jefferson

johnr1943 Likes This 
Old 05-28-2013, 11:03 PM   #5
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1069 Times on 718 Posts
Likes Given: 1626

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeyondTheBox View Post
I really, truly don't understand it.

Doctors, please correct me if and where I'm wrong here...

Surely, you jest? Really?

I guess one just reads the directions ad infinitum and you have the skill?

Wow, I have wasted sooooooooooo much time honing various skills for over 6 decades!! I'm glad you're not a doctor too.

Last edited by johnr1943; 05-28-2013 at 11:06 PM.

Old 05-28-2013, 11:11 PM   #6

Quote:
No, sound logic. Anyone can stand and slow fire a target. But can you bring a weapon fmr a holster to target while moving and do it in just a couple/few seconds?

You can't expect to be able to do something so involved without knowing how to do it. At the very least people should train to bring a weapon on target and fire two/three rounds in under four seconds.
Know how doesn't require practice as far as I'm concerned, never has

Old 05-28-2013, 11:11 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnr1943 View Post

Surely, you jest? Really?

I guess one just reads the directions ad infinitum and you have the skill?

Wow, I have wasted sooooooooooo much time honing various skills for over 6 decades!! I'm glad you're not a doctor too.
I'm very serious. Please do edify if you have insight.

Oh, and don't call me Shirley.

Last edited by BeyondTheBox; 05-28-2013 at 11:26 PM.

Old 05-28-2013, 11:20 PM   #8

Man, I am not trying to be condescending or anything but I can not see how anyone can be any good in any situation they have never even tried to engage in.
It's like saying no need to pick up a gun until you actually have to use it. I can't say a person that never trained for a SD situation can't protect themselves. But they are putting themselves at a disadvantage.

Thomas Jefferson

johnr1943 Likes This 
Old 05-28-2013, 11:26 PM   #9

Quote:
Man, I am not trying to be condescending or anything but I can not see how anyone can be any good in any situation they have never even tried to engage in.
It's like saying no need to pick up a gun until you actually have to use it. I can't say a person that never trained for a SD situation can't protect themselves. But they are putting themselves at a disadvantage.
Couldn't disagree more, and again, I'm not saying one shouldn't practice shooting at all. I advocate for shooting practice, but only for the purpose of achieving a good grip and accurate shot.

Old 05-28-2013, 11:29 PM   #10

My issue stems from the idea that in a SD situation you don't have the time to compose yourself. You have to get things right in a hurry. And to do that it's best yo know how to do it before hand.

Thomas Jefferson

People Like This 
Closed Thread