why my friend needed a firearm
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Concealed Carrying & Personal Protection > why my friend needed a firearm

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-01-2013, 07:17 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 210 Times on 128 Posts
Likes Given: 292

Default why my friend needed a firearm

A friend of mine missed work one weekend, when he came back his duck dynasty beard was gone. I immediately assumed he had went to jail. When asked it turns out he was sent to the local mental hospital. Here's why...after waking up with his children early Friday morning he was attempting to make them breakfast. His home had been broken into several times so when he heard something go bump that wasn't supposed to go bump he immediately feared someone was in the house. Tur s out, he was right! One guy fled out the back door and he lost sight of him. He did see the other guy run into the building. He ran outside and heard one of the guys under his porch, he grabbed the only weapon he seen...a gallon of gas and poured it on the guy and told him if he moved he would burn him up. Needless to say he didn't move. Not a few moments later the police responded to his 911 call and immediately drew down on him with sidearms and placed him in handcuffs. The two methed out attempted robbers were released immediately, the one hosed off, and both given rides home (from the house they broke into) by police. My friend was put on a 72 hour psych hold and his children were removed from his home immediately. I told him he should have gotten a shotgun for home defense before those drug addicts broke in again.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 10-01-2013, 07:21 PM   #2
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 5734 Times on 3360 Posts
Likes Given: 4877

So you can't use flammable liquids for defensive purposes, legally?
damn!

FWIW, I've never met a tweeker who wasn't afraid of a barky german shepherd-type dog. Maybe your buddy could stop by the pound and gear up.

Dead Bears, the only good kind.

Old 10-01-2013, 07:26 PM   #3

He needs to do something. He is supposed to get his three flat screen TVs back today they found in a pawn shop from the last time someone broke in. Good idea about the dog though. I'm the guy everyone knows that pushes the idea of firearms on people so sometimes I don't think about the other means of keeping druggies out of your belongings. Thanks for the advice.

Old 10-01-2013, 07:29 PM   #4
10-32
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2917 Times on 1718 Posts

I'd recommend a security system with cameras so he doesn't get locked up when they come back and he defends himself again.

I don't need No stinking signature.

People Like This 
Old 10-01-2013, 07:32 PM   #5

Liked 748 Times on 451 Posts
Likes Given: 402

Shame he didnt set the bastar* on fire when he had the chance.

Old 10-01-2013, 07:34 PM   #6
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 5734 Times on 3360 Posts
Likes Given: 4877

It doesn't have to be "either or"; he could get a barky german shepherd AND a good HD shotgun.

I have known a number of tweekers over the years; most of them had firearms or were accustomed to firearms being around them (sometimes with their wigged out friends waving them at imaginary enemies ). If you want to scare them, you have to step outside the norm, even the norm for tweekers. Scary dogs are a natural, wired-in fear, especially for people who spend days or weeks paranoid as heck about "the drug dog" showing up. Many shelters will let you walk a dog around to see how it reacts to you and your kids before you decide. I had this one buddy I had to quit hanging out with when he got too weird, but before that, I noticed the grips on his colt revolver were blotchy/faded in spots; his funky tweeker sweat had messed up the finish severely (I think he slept holding it under his pillow).

Dead Bears, the only good kind.

Last edited by orangello; 10-01-2013 at 07:37 PM.
People Like This 
Old 10-01-2013, 07:39 PM   #7
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 510 Times on 342 Posts
Likes Given: 157

Quote:
My friend was put on a 72 hour psych hold and his children were removed from his home immediately. I told him he should have gotten a shotgun for home defense before those drug addicts broke in again.
Why was he put in a psych doesn't make sense to me. ? Can the police qust through someone into a psych ward or hold them without a psych evaluation.

Last edited by manta; 10-01-2013 at 07:43 PM.

Old 10-01-2013, 07:39 PM   #8

I don't know if he will be allowed to own a firearm now. They told him he just checked out mentally, so I don't know if that will prevent him from getting a firearm even though there were no charges brought against him. He still hasn't got to get his kids back either which is what really bothers him, like it would all of us with kids.

Old 10-01-2013, 07:42 PM   #9

Have to give him props for originality though with the gas! :-). And I'm not sure why they did, I imagine because Spencer county sucks and they just pulled up on a big bearded dude with a lighter in his hands threatening to burn someone up if they moved...

Old 10-01-2013, 07:47 PM   #10
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 3726 Times on 2283 Posts
Likes Given: 1224

Based on what you said, Orangello, the German Shepherd sounds like the perfect dog for that purpose.

Regarding your friend, OP. That's pretty sh*tty. We should be allowed to defend ourselves with whatever we want...

Always have clean socks.

People Like This