Why lightweight carry guns? - Page 5
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Concealed Carrying & Personal Protection > Why lightweight carry guns?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-06-2013, 10:08 PM   #41
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 30

Quote:
Originally Posted by drvsafe View Post
I know you're playing regarding the topic of size, but size does matter in a firearm. A very lightweight pistol will have a more harsh recoil than a heavier one. Also a heavier semi-auto would be difficult for a person of smaller stature to manipulate the slide.
I certainly [I]used[I] to agree with that statement, but the newer engineering of some guns has changed my mind about the correctness of that as a blanket statement. My wife's new 9 MM Boberg has far less recoil than any of the full sized 9 MMs I've shot. It may be the double springs or maybe the bullpup design or something else entirely.

I just switched from a Glock 36 to a Springfield Armory XDs and despite the lighter weight and smaller size, it seems to have less recoil in the form of muzzle flip. The push back is not a problem for me, so the lesser muzzle flip many be influencing me subjectively.

As a number of people have already said, "Carry what you are comfortable with." and I certainly do not disagree with that. If the extra weight all day long is not a problem for someone, I don't see what difference it makes. I opt for the lighter weight because I see it as a benefit after carrying a Colt Commander around for years. I have been going progressively lighter and smaller for years which is how I ended up with the XDs I use now. For me, it certainly makes the Summer more enjoyable and less hassle, and better armed.

I no longer find myself choosing a Freedom Arms .22 or a Seecamp .25 or .380 instead of a .45 ACP just because I can't hide my gun under my polo shirt and shorts. I no longer have to buy clothing too large to cover a gun. That is enough reason for me to go smaller and lighter. If I dressed like my son does from time to time, it might be different, but I like trim fitting clothes and that is hard on the concealed carry of 1911s and a whole lot of other guns.

Old 03-06-2013, 10:18 PM   #42
Supporting Member
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 212 Times on 169 Posts
Likes Given: 116

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tackleberry1 View Post
Recoil I agree with but personally I find that as auto's get smaller "lighter slides" the loss of inertia must be accounted for and is typically done with stiffer springs.

My 5" 1911 is much easier to cycle than my 4" and there both easier than my Kahr PM 9.

Little pistols = Less Slide to grab and stiffer springs...

Tack
True. I am considering a Tomcat for my wife simply for the tip up barrel. And a .32 may be at the lowest end of reliability in terms of a SD caliber, but I'd prefer it over a wheel gun for her.