Why I don't ride the bus or light rail

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Concealed Carrying & Personal Protection > Why I don't ride the bus or light rail

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-14-2011, 08:46 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 27 Times on 20 Posts
Likes Given: 9

Default Why I don't ride the bus or light rail

SEATTLE -- A violent gang may be behind the recent string of street robberies in Seattle's Rainier Valley neighborhood, perhaps targeting people getting off buses or Link Light Rail trains.

Pat Murakami, president of the Southeast Seattle Crime Prevention Council, sent a "community safety alert" Sunday night to more than 1,000 community members.
Murakami cited a south precinct police captain she speaks with regularly who suspects the increase in robberies and assaults is the result of about 20 to 30 gang members working throughout the city.
She warns these gang members tend to target distracted people within a few blocks of bus and light rail routes.
"It happens all over Seattle so I'm careful wherever I go," said train passenger Lanetra Barron.
"Just when I'm walking, especially at night, I pay more attention," said a neighbor who only identified himself as Mark.
The Southeast Seattle Crime Prevention Council comprises concerned neighbors who meet monthly with police representatives.
Murakami said at Sunday's meeting many said, with all the recent attacks, including the death of hairdresser Danny Vega, they don't feel safe.
“We should be able to walk casually and not always be turning around to see who is coming up behind us,” said Murakami. “There are even instances where they'll snatch something from you and run so fast, before you can even react, they're gone."

There’s been an uptick in street robberies in Rainier Valley, the worst involving the murder of Danny Vega, who was surprised by three assailants as he walked alone near the intersection of South Othello Street and Martin Luther King Way South.

"They're becoming increasingly violent,” said Murakami.

"We're upset that we weren't notified earlier about a couple different pretty violent attacks. They weren't as brutal as Danny Vega's, but they should have been alerted,” said Murakami.

When asked about this, Seattle police spokesman Jeff Kappel said he could not confirm the captain's comments, but added, "Robberies are an ongoing concern for the department. Our crime data shows a 3 percent reduction city-wide from last year."
"However we still average about 100 a month. Our robbery unit continues to focus their efforts on identifying robbery patterns and arresting those responsible," said Kappel.
Murakami says she's also talked with people who've been attacked, but they did not call police for fear of retaliation. She's encouraging those victims to speak up. She believes that's the only way they can catch the robbers.

I would really like to know what would happen if I did ride the light rail with my Concealed carry permit and my pistol and if someone tried to rob me and I shot them.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 12-14-2011, 10:37 PM   #2

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts
Likes Given: 2

As long as it's legal and They threatened your life you would be justified by doing so, But you sound like you would like to ride the light rail to take care of the problem.. There is a fine line from vigilantly to just protecting yourself.
I feel none of us should have to live our lives like a heard of scared sheep. Just be careful about your reasons and don't tell too many what you would like to do. Good Luck.

Old 12-14-2011, 11:11 PM   #3

Liked 2179 Times on 1470 Posts
Likes Given: 1191

Quote:
I would really like to know what would happen if I did ride the light rail with my Concealed carry permit and my pistol and if someone tried to rob me and I shot them.
Unless a lawyer or law expert should chime in how do you expect "us" to answer that (in any certainty)?
Your title reads "Why I dont" & here you are askin "What if"

Texan By Birth & Choice
USMC/VIET NAM VET

Old 12-14-2011, 11:51 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by BB98338 View Post
While you certainly don't live in NY, and gun laws have change substantially...This comes to mind.

This has been in the news around here lately, and I don't see any end to this type of behavior.

"How a politician stands on the Second Amendment tells you how he or she views you as an individual..."

--Rep. Suzanna Gratia Hupp (TX)

Old 12-14-2011, 11:59 PM   #5

I lived in Seattle aka San Francisco North for 8 years if you killed someone trying to rob you, most likely you'd end up in prison for killing that poor man who was just trying to make a living. Seattle sickens me and I am so glad to be back in Texas. I was actually yelled at once for shaking a soldiers hand on a corner.

Old 12-15-2011, 12:26 AM   #6

Liked 27 Times on 20 Posts
Likes Given: 9

Hossfly and Glockman you both make good points. I am certainly not looking to engage in any vigilantism. The article forced me to ask myself if I should knowingly put myself in a situation where I might have to use my weapon to defend myself. If not then I am forced to ask myself if I should be carrying a weapon in the first place. It is also possible that I am over thinking the whole issue.

Old 12-15-2011, 02:07 AM   #7

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts
Likes Given: 2

It's always better to avoid a confrontation than engage.. If you have that choice, you have to live with your decision..