why i dont defend property of others.
You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of FirearmsTalk.com!    

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Concealed Carrying & Personal Protection >

why i dont defend property of others.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-30-2014, 03:03 AM   #1
FTF_MODERATOR.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 6820 Times on 3623 Posts
Likes Given: 513

Default why i dont defend property of others.

watching cops tonite on spike. last episode was this call 4 guys with guns. turned out a resident decided the blackguy digging in the back of a truck was stealing things. he threatened him with a shotgun. cops roll up prone out everyone turns out the blackguy's truck was broke he was fixing it the white resident assumed he was stealing. white resident goes to jail

never defend property of others...

call the police let them deal with it.

"Gun control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound." L. Neil Smith

The problem with being stupid is you cannot simply decide to stop doing dumb things...

"I crapped my pants to avoid the draft!!" -Ted Nugent
People Like This 

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 07-30-2014, 03:22 AM   #2
RKB

Liked 265 Times on 174 Posts
Likes Given: 209

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonM View Post
watching cops tonite on spike. last episode was this call 4 guys with guns. turned out a resident decided the blackguy digging in the back of a truck was stealing things. he threatened him with a shotgun. cops roll up prone out everyone turns out the blackguy's truck was broke he was fixing it the white resident assumed he was stealing. white resident goes to jail

never defend property of others...

call the police let them deal with it.
This is what the cops are paid to do. If you are not LE stay out of it!

MisterMcCool Likes This 
Old 07-30-2014, 09:45 AM   #3
Retired
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 3525 Times on 2022 Posts
Likes Given: 1552

Each situation has to be evaluated for threat to yourself and others.

Fixing a car is not a threat to harm someone.

Life Member NRA
Life Member NAHC
Former President of the ECPT (Eifel Combat Pistol Team)
People Like This 
Old 07-30-2014, 10:21 AM   #4
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1618 Times on 1078 Posts
Likes Given: 201

If your life, or someone else's life is not in immediate danger, stay out of it and call the local authorities.

You are a better witness then anything else, there is no need to get into a situation, when it is not warranted.

I have seen first hand, where this is made to be a "set up" and a plot to do harm to oneself.

Again, if you or anyone else, life is not in immediate danger (life threatening) call the police department, and let us deal with the rest.
Axxe55 Likes This 
Old 07-30-2014, 10:28 AM   #5
Big TOW
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 8231 Times on 4240 Posts
Likes Given: 9476

I mostly agree with you Jon with some reservations, as Danf pointed out, each situation is different and the call isnt universal. Defending "Others" and Defending "Others I know" could be completely different cases. Those I dont know probably will get help from the 911 call I make cause if I dont know much about them, its probably the only call I cam make that I can be sure is correct. When it comes to folks I do know in my little world, I could see myself stepping in according to the situation and the person.

I put my cape and mask away a very long time ago. Im not superman or the hulk, live to fight another day means each decision I make could be my last one and I treat them all that way to hopefully avoid dying before Im really old and wrinkly for the sake of some of the crazy folks that love me!
People Like This 
Old 07-30-2014, 10:44 AM   #6
The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

Liked 22314 Times on 12477 Posts
Likes Given: 53672

i have to agree. in probably about 99% of the time, it's probably much more prudent to cal LE and let them handle the situation.

in those 1% cases like if i were driving by my father's or brother's houses and i know they are out of town, i pretty much know who should or shouldn't be sitting in their driveways. in those cases, that would be my exception to the rule of just calling for LE to handle the situation.
WebleyFosbery38 Likes This 
Old 07-30-2014, 10:47 AM   #7
Big TOW
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 8231 Times on 4240 Posts
Likes Given: 9476

Quote:
Originally Posted by Axxe55 View Post
i have to agree. in probably about 99% of the time, it's probably much more prudent to cal LE and let them handle the situation.

in those 1% cases like if i were driving by my father's or brother's houses and i know they are out of town, i pretty much know who should or shouldn't be sitting in their driveways. in those cases, that would be my exception to the rule of just calling for LE to handle the situation.
Yup, it has everything to do with your situational awareness (as most things in life do). Jumping to conclusions can be a leap into a pit of vipers!
Axxe55 Likes This 
Old 07-30-2014, 07:22 PM   #8
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 450 Times on 237 Posts
Likes Given: 940

It's a lot easier to jump into a hole than to jump out.
I would pull my weapon in two instances. To defend my life. To defend someone else's life. Property can be replaced.
Words of wisdom borne from experience.

You gain wisdom from experience, you gain experience from mistakes.
Axxe55 Likes This 
Old 07-31-2014, 02:29 AM   #9
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1378 Times on 810 Posts
Likes Given: 252

Quote:
Originally Posted by Axxe55 View Post

Co-Worker saw someone coming out of a neighbors window that he knew was out of town. He held the guy prone at gun point while waiting for the police to show up... responding officer was a friend of his. Guy started complaining about being threatened with a gun, illegal detention, he has rights, etc, and the responding LEO told the guy you're lucky to be alive, we've had to take him to the psych hospital several times. It was all my co-worker could do to keep a straight face

Depending on the local LEO, that could have gone much differently.
People Like This 
Old 08-23-2014, 01:14 AM   #10

Liked 271 Times on 194 Posts
Likes Given: 30

The lesson here is to know what is legal to do, to know that things are often not what they seem and to take action only when time and circumstances warrant .

I won't guarantee that I will never help anyone . The following are true in some if not all jurisdictions :

A person has a right to resist an unjustified citizen's arrest .

If you arrest without probable cause, you may be guilty of false arrest and could be sued as well .

Citizen's arrests must not be done unreasonably, including for ridiculously minor offenses . Force used must be the minimum necessary to make and maintain the arrest . Pulling a gun on a car theft suspect these days will probably be considered excessive .