why i do not OC
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Concealed Carrying & Personal Protection > why i do not OC

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-14-2014, 02:09 AM   #1
FTF_MODERATOR.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 5990 Times on 3133 Posts
Likes Given: 427

Default why i do not OC

this is why i do not open carry. it makes you a target. this security guard was open carrying. it was not a deterrent and because he did not have a concealed firearm he was a target leading to the murder of a police officer by a knofe wielding nutball.

open carry i firmly believe makes you a target. i am however surpotive of OC because it makes ME less of a target if someone is ocing. oc does allow me to not have to worry about accidentally exposing my firearm or printing

http://www.foxnews.com/us/2014/07/13/new-jersey-police-officer-shot-killed-on-robbery-call/?intcmp=latestnews

Quote:
Lawrence Campbell, 27, shot Officer Melvin Santiago in the head shortly after he and his partner arrived at the 24-hour Walgreens at around 4 a.m., Jersey City Mayor Steven Fulop said. Other officers returned fire at Campbell, killing him.

Campbell, of Jersey City, was one of three suspects wanted by police for a prior homicide, Fulop said.

Fulop said Campbell was carrying a knife when he walked into Walgreens and asked for directions to the greeting card aisle. He assaulted an armed security guard at the store and snatched his gun, Fulop said. He waited for police to arrive, then shot Santiago with what police believe was the guard's weapon.

"Gun control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound." — L. Neil Smith

The problem with being stupid is you cannot simply decide to stop doing dumb things...

People Like This 

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 07-14-2014, 02:18 AM   #2
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1009 Times on 606 Posts
Likes Given: 221

jeeze, and you're a moderator who has personally closed OC v CC threads, and you decide to open one yourself?

Since the last debate, a local forum member who I personally know, walked into a gas station store OC. Couple of guys a row over said, come on, we gotta go, dudes gotta gun... and they left.

Friend of mine came across some rabel rousers in his neighborhood. He was OC his 1911. He challenged them to stop with the nonsense. They were going to get him until they noticed the 1911.

I personally know both of this people.

Old 07-14-2014, 03:03 AM   #3
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 5990 Times on 3133 Posts
Likes Given: 427

Quote:
Originally Posted by partdeux View Post
jeeze, and you're a moderator who has personally closed OC v CC threads, and you decide to open one yourself?

Since the last debate, a local forum member who I personally know, walked into a gas station store OC. Couple of guys a row over said, come on, we gotta go, dudes gotta gun... and they left.

Friend of mine came across some rabel rousers in his neighborhood. He was OC his 1911. He challenged them to stop with the nonsense. They were going to get him until they noticed the 1911.

I personally know both of this people.
its ok to discuss oc vs ccw issues. so long as it does not devolve into hate filled diatribes against other member's opinions, which is why threads get closed. there are only a few content or topic issues we automatically close threads for.

if i was restricted to topics solely based on things i have not closed threads dealing with i wouldnt be posting... heh

a few examples but not all of them:

racist topics
politics outside appropriate premium forums
sexual content in open forums
illegal activity
scamming
selling outside vendor or classifieds

"Gun control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound." — L. Neil Smith

The problem with being stupid is you cannot simply decide to stop doing dumb things...

People Like This 
Old 07-14-2014, 03:14 AM   #4
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 588 Times on 331 Posts

OC or CC, as long as you carry it's a right. I'm tired of the debate.being a target for OC is minimal. Being a CC just institutes the fear of guns.

Old 07-14-2014, 03:21 AM   #5
Supporting Member
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 635 Times on 351 Posts
Likes Given: 2653

Here in calif.
I can not carry either way.
I believe I would carry concealed if the laws were changed.

Old 07-14-2014, 04:12 AM   #6

Liked 2605 Times on 1481 Posts
Likes Given: 2004

IMO, we have to sacrifice so much to be gun owners,

and carriers, these days. We pay thru the nose for registrations

that criminals get for free. We are listed, counted, taxed, and treated

like inferiors and pariahs, after showing spotless records for

sobriety, law abiding, domestic harmony and zero drug use.

We are hounded by government agencies, and face dozens of

other challenges, difficulties, and issues by mere rote of gun ownership.

Under what possible circumstances could any sane gun owner even remotely

consider surrendering the last great advantage of concealed carry?

Last edited by therewolf; 07-14-2014 at 04:15 AM.
People Like This 
Old 07-14-2014, 04:21 AM   #7

Liked 4985 Times on 2414 Posts
Likes Given: 1586

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonM View Post
this is why i do not open carry. it makes you a target. this security guard was open carrying. it was not a deterrent and because he did not have a concealed firearm he was a target leading to the murder of a police officer by a knofe wielding nutball.

open carry i firmly believe makes you a target. i am however surpotive of OC because it makes ME less of a target if someone is ocing. oc does allow me to not have to worry about accidentally exposing my firearm or printing

http://www.foxnews.com/us/2014/07/13/new-jersey-police-officer-shot-killed-on-robbery-call/?intcmp=latestnews
I agree with you on many topics Jon but I'm sorry to say your a bit "out to lunch" on this one my friend.

We have a knife wielding psycho who targeted a security guard, took a gun, and shot a cop.

Your premise assumes the perp knew there would be a gun present and chose the location for this reason, specifically to get a gun, so he could them wait around to shoot a cop?

If his intent was to kill a cop, and he was able to charm himself close enough to a lone security guard to inflict a fatal knife attack... Why not just find a lone Cop and bypass the security guard altogether?

Is it possible this was a psycho intent on a mass stabbing, took out the guard first, and the gun was simply a "bonus?"

Whether he was after a gun, or plotting a mass stabbing, would it not logical for him to fist kill the guard regardless of whether or not the guard was armed?

I move we rename this thread "REACHING"...

Too many of us have personally seen the mere presence of a firearm dissuade violence to believe that cases like these are anything more than an anomaly of "minimal" proportions.

Tack
People Like This 
Old 07-14-2014, 05:01 AM   #8

Liked 2752 Times on 1238 Posts
Likes Given: 2650

Huh? Killing cops and security guards has nothing to do with oc or cc. That wack job just wanted to kill authority figures. Maybe cops should stop wearing uniforms and badges. That's quite a stretch Jon.

Old 07-14-2014, 07:19 AM   #9

Liked 109 Times on 90 Posts
Likes Given: 219

I used to be strong oc supporter. Then the mess started with starbucks and spiraled downwards from there. I still oc revolver out in the rural areas, when hunting (revolver is with me), backpacking of course, or at the shooting range (obviously), and the car holster is in plain sight. Other than that I would rather keep it hidden, because I dont usually have time to spare dealimg with the dumb****s who try to provoke a fight (seattle comes to mind: man legally oc was harassed and bullied, but kept his cool). I dont oc long guns, even though its legal here, unless I am hunting. Its time to regroup and strategize right now. I know its mostly the asshat keyboard commandos with an ar that are causing us grief. I sometimes wonder if its liberals doing it to make trouble.

Old 07-14-2014, 07:36 AM   #10
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2131 Times on 1466 Posts
Likes Given: 793

Most police officers that are shot are shot with their own gun. Police officers take+ retention seriously. Every officer in this are carries a holster with double or triple retention devices. Yet criminals still manage to get officers weapons. I seriously doubt your average OCer is as well prepared as these fallen officers.

I am not against responsible open carry. But people who make me wonder if they are MDA plants I have issues with their behavior. I open carry myself but I am very respectful of private property. I leave my gun locked in the truck when I visit friends with children. I do the same when I enter a business unless the owners actually open carry themselves.

To argue with a person who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead. Thomas Paine