Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   Concealed Carrying & Personal Protection (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f17/)
-   -   Why I carry a Gun (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f17/why-i-carry-gun-53276/)

juggler 12-09-2011 06:09 PM

Why I carry a Gun

Here's a story about how a gun saved my son and I from being assaulted by a road raging madman.

http://youtu.be/Ly4IVSjpMyo
Feel free to share if you would like.

fmj 12-09-2011 06:50 PM

Break out your fire suit....i feel a flaming coming on!

Anywho, i agree with you, GLAD it all worked out for the best and that you weren't forced to airate the road rager.

vincent 12-09-2011 07:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fmj (Post 647161)

Anywho, i agree with you, GLAD it all worked out for the best and that you weren't forced to airate the road rager.

As long as the OP is on the up and up, it's all good, maybe I missed something, why would this merit a flaming? If it turns out to be BS then ya but I didn't see anything worth getting in a twist about.

Don't let your car be your grave...check...
Protect your child...check...
Remove yourself from danger...well, if you're stuck in a ditch, gotta roll with the punches...
Probably did have time to call 911, (one or two minutes as you said) if only to be the first to call, not like it could have alleviated the situation but it certainly wouldn't have hurt

Glad everybody is safe, if in fact this is a true story...don't take that personally, I don't know you, that's all, my BS meter is on high online

fmj 12-09-2011 07:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by vincent (Post 647195)
As long as the OP is on the up and up, it's all good, maybe I missed something, why would this merit a flaming? If it turns out to be BS then ya but I didn't see anything worth getting in a twist about.

Don't let your car be your grave...check...
Protect your child...check...
Remove yourself from danger...well, if you're stuck in a ditch, gotta roll with the punches...
Probably did have time to call 911, (one or two minutes as you said) if only to be the first to call, not like it could have alleviated the situation but it certainly wouldn't have hurt

Glad everybody is safe, if in fact this is a true story...don't take that personally, I don't know you, that's all, my BS meter is on high online

I see nothing to merit a flaming either. I would have acted in the same manner (only i would have had the 1911 or PF9 or 686 ;):D....but there ARE folks here that are rather critical of anything and everything.

vincent 12-09-2011 08:01 PM

All too true, point taken ;)

AZL 12-09-2011 08:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fmj (Post 647161)

Why the fire suit? As long as he relayed the facts as they happened...

1. He felt threatened in a situation where clearly his avenue of escape was cut off by a vehicle of superior size, and I will asume for the moment, power. Most ANY reasonable person (the yardstick by which this would be measured) in the same situation WOULD feel threatened.

2. He had his young son with him, and he DID try to remove himself and his son from the conflict. He did everything he reasonably could to avoid confrontation of any kind, and protect his child.

My ONLY question is, and it can be very simply resolved: The OP said he "indicated" his presence. How was it "indicated"? Short beep on horn, or finger out the window? I am hoping and assuming it was the former...so if that is the case...he did nothing wrong. ASSUMING he relayed the facts as they happened.

As for the rest...I have to wonder what qualifies you to TEACH people how to use a firearm in SD. That is a specialized discipline and requires a pretty deep understanding of use and lethal force laws.

But...good job on the front part of the video. Glad you didn't have to use your pistol. Glad you and your boy were not hurt.

unclebear 12-09-2011 09:23 PM

love the shirt!

Most of the people that tell other people that "you don't need a gun call 911" or that "guns only make things worse" are usually the people that aren't in touch with the real world around them. Just because the world around you looks safe does not mean that in can't change in a instant, the world is a dangerous place and isn't getting too much better.

PowerViolence 12-09-2011 10:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by vincent (Post 647195)
Probably did have time to call 911, (one or two minutes as you said)

You meen the two minutes he was flying down the road with a giant truck next to him pushing him off the roadway....? Calling the cops could have further endangered him and his son, since he was operating a vehicle.

Firearms4ever 12-09-2011 10:45 PM

I can't see anything that you did wrong or that is questionable. My wife has been in a similar situation where while she was skeet shooting with my cousins on their property one of the neighbors decided to trespass on the property and raise Hell. He approached her swear words ablazing and shouting at the top of his lungs. She informed him we were doing nothing wrong since we were on our own property, and he got more angered so he decided to pull a pistol on her. Well, he said, "Make one move and I'll put a bullet in your head", and called the police. When the police arrived they said, "You're trespassing on their property and threatening one of them. If you do not put down the weapon we will have to resort to lethal force". Foolishly he refused to lay down his firearm, and the police said, "This is your last warning. Either put it down or we will put holes in you". Thankfully he did listen then, and was arrested for trespassing.

vincent 12-09-2011 10:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PowerViolence (Post 647346)
You meen the two minutes he was flying down the road with a giant truck next to him pushing him off the roadway....? Calling the cops could have further endangered him and his son, since he was operating a vehicle.

And the boy can't make a phone call? Obviously if he's an infant or toddler then you're 100% right but that was never specified, but any 4 year old knows how to use a phone...Tell us OP, how old is your son? That oughta settle it right?