Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   Concealed Carrying & Personal Protection (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f17/)
-   -   Why I carry a .380auto (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f17/why-i-carry-380auto-26458/)

opaww 04-25-2010 09:00 AM

Why I carry a .380auto

The need, reason, and use of a handgun varies from person to person, as does the choices in what they want, need, and carry. Some extol the virtues of bigger is better, or higher capacity is the way to go. Quite simply use what you got but be good with it.

If one is to assume that the least carry concealed should be a 9mm, then would it not stand to reason that a .38spl would be better then that? Sense it has been used for almost 100 years as a side arm of Law Enforcement Officers, and still used by many of them as a off duty and/or backup hand gun.

The most used handgun and caliber sense the early 1920ís up until the Hollywood frenzy with the 9mm in the 1980ís was none other then the .38spl. More bad guys were dispatched by law abiding citizens and LEOís using this caliber in revolvers then any other handgun to date.

A small snubby has a very small finger print when concealed; it offers a good punch and a quick draw and use without thinking.

The point here is not about the caliber nor the action of a given handgun but rather what one uses. A small .380 auto is about the same as a small .38spl, but a slightly smaller bullet weight. The accuracy of a .380auto is far better then it was 30 years ago as is the reliability. The draw back of the .380auto is the cost of ammo if you can get any.

When a handgun gets smaller in size and weight but keeps the same power in caliber we tend to lose some control of the weapon when recovering for a second shot which is important in staying alive. If we use a subcompact in 9mm, 40 S&W, or say a .45auto the recoil is magnified and that split second that is added to the recovery can make the deference in a second shot or being a recipient of hot lead from the bad guy.

I use my .380auto as a backup, but my .38spl is used as a primary and backup carry. With the choices I have I would rather use my .45auto all the time but not every situation allows for the carry of a full size government model .45. The bulk of it makes it un-carrable in some places and at times of the year where light clothing is a must because of heat.

So the need for something smaller and lighter in weight is needed, along with controllability thus I choose the .380auto or my .38spl.

Some of you might ask for me to show one famous person who carried a .380auto, well that one person that I know of who was famous was SGT. Barry Sadler, OH dam sorry some of you youngsters donít remember him. Well he was famous anyway.

opaww

DrumJunkie 04-25-2010 09:15 AM

Carry what you want man. It's all about the individual. I really don't have a problem with the round as much as I do with the weapons made for it. But I'm not a fan of pocket guns at all. I've owned a few 380's over the years and m,y only real issue with them was the recoil beat you to death due mainly to the size of the weapon firing it. They seemed to be pretty accurate but the muzzle flip was not worth the ease of concealing. But that's just me. I know several people that really like the smaller weapons and that's what they carry. If a 380 is what you like then by all means you should be able to and not get grief. Maybe I'd like them more if I could find one the size of a Commander length 1911 or a 9VE Sigma.

opaww 04-25-2010 09:40 AM

I like this Bersa it is small enough and light enough but controllable

NGIB 04-25-2010 10:37 AM

My primary summertime carry is a Walther PPK (or PPK/S) in .380 as it's big enough to shoot accurately and small enough to be easily concealed. To me, it's like carrying a higher capacity J frame and it's thinner...

opaww 04-25-2010 11:08 AM

Nothing wrong with carrying a .380auto, but that is my lowist limit I won't carry anything small in caliber then that.

DrumJunkie 04-25-2010 01:03 PM

I had a Bersa Thunder. It was one of the better pistols in that caliber I still didn't like it as much as a comparable sized 9mm..To me anyway. I'm sure I"ll see one at some point, I just hadn't yet.

I don't buy into the whole smallest is this or that. The weapon choice and caliber rests in the hands of the one that carries it. Look at how many are hurt or killed with 22's. Being the accepted distance of a self defense situation with good shot placement I see no reason why a 380 would be a poor choice.

I am a 45ACP person. Ammo costs as they are I choose to use what I operate the best. I have 9mm's but I don't like them for defense. Not because it's a poor round.I am just more comfortable with a 1911 in 45ACP. Old dogs and all I guess:)

Gojubrian 04-25-2010 01:28 PM

If a .380 is enough for you then that's your business, but it's too small for me to feel comfortable carrying. The price of .380 is going down, but I still see it the same price as .45acp in places for some crazy reason.

They do make smaller more carry friendly gun in .380, but with a good holster I can carry my kimber just fine too. The LCR goes on alot of outing as well .38 +p.

Carry what you want, but the fact that you are trying to justify it to everyone speaks volumes. ;)

m72law 04-25-2010 01:37 PM

nuttin wrong with a .380...very close if not same ''depending on ammo as the 9x18 mak...now that it is getting warmer weather...i have only 3 small concealable carry choices...rossie m88 5shot .38spl.,cz82 13shot 9x18mak,or my very trusty cz50 8shot 32acp...heck,what ever anyone packs as long as your capable to make each shot count ''if the need be''its going to suck for the person/s on the business end of that life saving tool;)

m72law 04-25-2010 01:43 PM

anyone have any experience with the cobra 2shot derringers?...i know they are cheap and not everyday shooters...but i found a guy 2miles away with his 01FFL and he will do the transfer/s @15bucks...i found these @ sog for 109.00 bucks and they have multi cals and some are long barrels ''about 1inch longer then norm"

Gojubrian 04-25-2010 01:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by m72law (Post 275707)
anyone have any experience with the cobra 2shot derringers?...i know they are cheap and not everyday shooters...but i found a guy 2miles away with his 01FFL and he will do the transfer/s @15bucks...i found these @ sog for 109.00 bucks and they have multi cals and some are long barrels ''about 1inch longer then norm"

Please start a new thread.