Why do you want penetration? - Page 2
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Concealed Carrying & Personal Protection > Why do you want penetration?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-24-2011, 02:09 AM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Some heavy winter clothing maybe as much as 8 inches plus like they said ^^^^ they may not be standing square at you. If the round for some reason doesn't go straight through it will take longer for them to bleed out, as to a clean punch through will take less time for them to expire. Also one reason I carry a 357 mag.

"ever man out here has a timer, no one know how long it will take but no one last forever"
Sargent Miller

"cake or death! I'll have the cake then... SORRY WHERE OUT OF CAKE!... so it's or death? I'll have the chicken then please." Eddy Izzard

"so a suppose your going to kill me now? no he is I'm just here to watch"

"you know why guns are better then a woman?... you can put a silencer on a gun."

Old 05-24-2011, 02:13 AM   #12
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 5730 Times on 2995 Posts
Likes Given: 379

i dont feel underarmed carrying 230grn 45acp fmjs. its whats in the spare mags. the 1911 itself has the hp rounds. im a worrier and a worst caser. if im cornered and the sd turns into a holding action the badguy may be using cover. need the extra penetration to get the lead to the target.

Auslach: i dont disagree but the odds of hitting such a tiny thing are smaller than landing a head shot. i want to maximize the rounds i get center mass

i do have 380's and i do feel a bit underarmed with em but its better than a sharp stick.

im just hoping wisconsin's ccw law when its signed has provisions for OC and CCW. right now we have constitutional carry but its based off the attorney general's interpretation of the wisconsin constitution and refusal to prosecute peeps. he wont be the AG forever

"Gun control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound." — L. Neil Smith

The problem with being stupid is you cannot simply decide to stop doing dumb things...

Old 05-24-2011, 02:38 AM   #13

Location: I see you, and you will not know when I will strike
Liked 3479 Times on 1609 Posts
Likes Given: 3590

Jesus are we really going to go round and round with this discussion again?

I grow tired of this Rube Goldberging.

Let me ask you all this:

How many rounds fired by police officers in shoot out conditions HIT their intended target??

1 out of 4? Meaning a police officer under duress hits 25% of the time?

2 out of 4? Meaning a police officer under duress hits 50% of the time?

What about the ROUNDS THAT MISS?!?!?

No one ever wonders about over-penetration or dynamic/systemic shock or incapacitating ability for the rounds.

Why?!?!

6 inches of penetration? 8 inches? 18 inches? If there is NO media between the barrel and where the round ends up, what about THOSE rounds???

The only time this comes up is when someone is worried about shooting THROUGH some bad guy and somehow hitting the next Mother Teresa, killing her before she can change the world.

Let me paint you a little scenario.

It's a nice sunny day. You decide to head off to the Home Depot to get some parts to fix those broken fence boards and some cleaner for the siding.

Just so happens at that same exact moment the bank in the parking lot of the Home Depot is being robbed as the armored car pulled up to transfer funds.

As the robbers in question have already started shooting it out with the guards, you feel it's your obligation as a Concealed Weapon Holder to interject yourself into the fray.

Now -

Option A) Everyone WITHOUT a weapon is lining up behind the bad guys, munching popcorn, watching the show and just waiting to catch an over-penetrating bullet??

OR

Option B) Everyone WITHOUT a weapon is ducking, covering, hiding and/or running for their lives??

Which option do you REALLY think is more likely??

Carry what you can shoot well. Don't worry about "over-penetration" as the odds you will encounter a need to draw, a need to shoot, a chance of striking AND a chance of over-penetration striking another target are so infinitesimally small that you would have a better chance of getting struck by lightning WHILE winning the lottery AND sitting a top a Unicorn.

JD

Old 05-24-2011, 03:20 AM   #14

Liked 17 Times on 9 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dillinger View Post
Jesus are we really going to go round and round with this discussion again?

I grow tired of this Rube Goldberging.

Let me ask you all this:

How many rounds fired by police officers in shoot out conditions HIT their intended target??

1 out of 4? Meaning a police officer under duress hits 25% of the time?

2 out of 4? Meaning a police officer under duress hits 50% of the time?

What about the ROUNDS THAT MISS?!?!?

No one ever wonders about over-penetration or dynamic/systemic shock or incapacitating ability for the rounds.

Why?!?!

6 inches of penetration? 8 inches? 18 inches? If there is NO media between the barrel and where the round ends up, what about THOSE rounds???

The only time this comes up is when someone is worried about shooting THROUGH some bad guy and somehow hitting the next Mother Teresa, killing her before she can change the world.

Let me paint you a little scenario.

It's a nice sunny day. You decide to head off to the Home Depot to get some parts to fix those broken fence boards and some cleaner for the siding.

Just so happens at that same exact moment the bank in the parking lot of the Home Depot is being robbed as the armored car pulled up to transfer funds.

As the robbers in question have already started shooting it out with the guards, you feel it's your obligation as a Concealed Weapon Holder to interject yourself into the fray.

Now -

Option A) Everyone WITHOUT a weapon is lining up behind the bad guys, munching popcorn, watching the show and just waiting to catch an over-penetrating bullet??

OR

Option B) Everyone WITHOUT a weapon is ducking, covering, hiding and/or running for their lives??

Which option do you REALLY think is more likely??

Carry what you can shoot well. Don't worry about "over-penetration" as the odds you will encounter a need to draw, a need to shoot, a chance of striking AND a chance of over-penetration striking another target are so infinitesimally small that you would have a better chance of getting struck by lightning WHILE winning the lottery AND sitting a top a Unicorn.

JD
^^^^This^^^^

JD is a wise man. Well said, Sir.

Old 05-24-2011, 03:30 AM   #15
WDB

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

^^^This concludes todays class unless there are any more questions^^^

Thank's JD that was truly well expressed with the correct amount of sarcasim to make it funny.

Those who hammer their guns into plows will plow for those who do not." ~ Thomas Jefferson

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benning Boy View Post
If you're really bored, I'm your huckleberry. If you really want a challenge, I'm the one.

If you're really smart, you'll just peddle your paint.

Last edited by WDB; 05-24-2011 at 03:31 AM. Reason: pur spelng

Old 05-24-2011, 03:36 AM   #16

Liked 9 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 3

I appreciate all of the imput, and the "they may not be facing you squarely" thing is the part i was overlooking. So that makes sense why more penetration would be good then. I was just curious as to the logic behind this.

For the record I personally carry a 9mm with FMJ's but thats just because I practice with fmj's so i figure i should use what im best with and most comfortable with. I use a 9mm because the ammo is cheaper lol. If I had my pick of round (assuming it was in a concealabe firearm) it would probably be .45 acp or .44 magnum. But, then again, I do like the idea of having 18+rounds ready to rock.

Check out my blog:http://ithinkforme.blogspot.com/

Old 05-24-2011, 03:45 AM   #17

Liked 27 Times on 21 Posts

And as a happy medium and something I have done for a long time, is why I stagger load my carry weapon's magazines (usually a .45) with ball and HP rounds.

Now school is out.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ!

"There is no hunting like the hunting of man, and those who have hunted armed men long enough and liked it, never care for anything else thereafter." - Hemingway

“The greatest ignorance is to reject something you know nothing about.”

Old 05-24-2011, 04:23 AM   #18
FAA licensed bugsmasher
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2163 Times on 1177 Posts
Likes Given: 783

Quote:
Why do you want penetration?
Because all the stuff that makes you work is on the inside.

Scott

Quote:
If you're not representing Jesus in a way that makes people want to hang out with you, you're doing it wrong.
Quote:
Those who refuse to participate in politics shall be governed by their inferiors. -Plato
Join the NRA

Old 05-24-2011, 11:06 AM   #19
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 83 Times on 54 Posts
Likes Given: 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dillinger View Post
you would have a better chance of getting struck by lightning WHILE winning the lottery AND sitting a top a Unicorn.

JD
That happen to me once. Dang unicorn ran off and got hit by an 18 wheeler and some guy took my winning ticket AND cut my unicorn's horn off while I was knocked out from the lighting.

If the pain is lacking so is the discipline...

"the only 911 call I need is chambering a round" - Mr. Muller, MO car dealer

Old 05-25-2011, 01:59 AM   #20

Liked 190 Times on 129 Posts
Likes Given: 89

Did the lightning over-penetrate, though?

2 Chron. 7:14 Christians must seek His face