Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   Concealed Carrying & Personal Protection (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f17/)
-   -   Why concealed carry is important... (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f17/why-concealed-carry-important-31049/)

indyfan 08-29-2010 08:06 AM

Why concealed carry is important...

Just got back from a friends house, it's about 1:30 am, when I parked my car in front of my house and got out, two mexican guys came around the corner of a large bush and looked at me. One of them said "Sup". I then proceeded to the front door, looking back I could see them walking around my car and then they just started pacing back and forth, both of them still eyeballing me. Seemed like forever to get my locks open, when I finally did, I jumped inside, and locked the door.

I felt so naked without my handgun. I'm still shaken up.

I desperately need to get that concealed carry license.

CONCEALED CARRY IS IMPORTANT. I got lucky. This time. :(

danf_fl 08-29-2010 08:19 AM

An animal can tell when someone is scared, and people can too.
Display a confident attitude (not cocky).
Get the permit and study the "rules of engagement" to understand when a displayed firearm is appropriate.

(And check you car in the A.M.)

Safetyguy 08-29-2010 07:30 PM

It is strange today that there are people in the street behind bushes and when we get home they come out. Self defense is no longer a nice to learn it is a necessity to protect our families and ourselves.

In Florida where I live a weapon can be carried in the car, not on your person, with out a permit. It is perfectly okay to take it from your car to your house and vice-versa. The weapon can be in your glove box, console, under an unoccupied passenger seat, in a shoe box covered sitting on the passenger seat, chambered off safe and ready to fire. The permit gives us a little more. We can take it most everywhere we go. My problem with this is that the Perps will be the only ones to have the guns. Guess they can't read! Read up on your states laws. The castle laws are great. If you do not have the castle law then do what you can to get it. Good luck to you in the future.

CHLChris 08-29-2010 09:33 PM

Let's say you were armed. How, exactly, would that encounter have gone differently?

Are you just thinking that if it had gotten ugly you would have been in a better position? I don't think being armed would have changed your particular encounter. At least most people wouldn't have drawn or anything in those circumstances.

In fact, being armed could have emboldened you and made you raise your head even more. Who knows, maybe it could have escalated if you HAD been armed.

Edited for clarity: Being armed is always better than being unarmed. Especially if you know how to handle any situation through training.

canebrake 08-29-2010 09:43 PM

Why concealed carry is important..."An armed man will kill an unarmed man with monotonous regularity." - Clint Smith

indyfan 08-29-2010 10:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CHLChris (Post 340836)
Let's say you were armed. How, exactly, would that encounter have gone differently?

Are you just thinking that if it had gotten ugly you would have been in a better position? I don't think being armed would have changed your particular encounter. At least most people wouldn't have drawn or anything in those circumstances.

In fact, being armed could have emboldened you and made you raise your head even more. Who knows, maybe it could have escalated if you HAD been armed.

Edited for clarity: Being armed is always better than being unarmed. Especially if you know how to handle any situation through training.

I completely understand how situations do get escalated because people jump the gun and get an itchy trigger finger.

I've heard numerous situations where someone pulls out their cc weapon without the need to. I don't think it would of been escalated, all I'm stating is that I would of felt safer with my handgun on my waist.

but what if they had taken out a knife on me? what if my life was in danger and my handgun was sitting in its case under my bed and I was outside getting stabbed?

It's all about what if's. I'm not going to trust my life to a "what if" situation. I'd rather be carrying than not carrying.

this is a good video on concealed carry:

CHLChris 08-29-2010 10:31 PM

There have been a few situations that I've been in that--knowing that I am armed--has allowed me to just observe the situation somewhat dispassionately. My blood pressure didn't get nearly as high and my adrenaline not nearly as extreme as it might have been has I not been armed.

brancher 09-03-2010 05:30 PM

That is a scary video.

LuckenbachTexas 09-03-2010 07:36 PM

And thats what they want to take away from you!!!!!!!!!!

Good Video, Please post the link

Alchemist 09-03-2010 07:57 PM

That short video is a very effective presentation... Thanks for the link.