Why are ccw steps different?
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Concealed Carrying & Personal Protection > Why are ccw steps different?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-28-2011, 11:39 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 38

Default Why are ccw steps different?

If you have to pass a background check to buy a gun, whats the need for going through the hassle of obtaining a permit? If i can legally purchase, shouldnt i be able to carry flat out? If anything, i feel you need to show your certificate before you can purchase. Some states dont have to do anything hardly to obtain a ccw, and some is more of a hassle if you wanna call it that.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 09-28-2011, 11:53 PM   #2

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 2

oh boy

Rigjumpr
Texas CHL Instructor, NRA Handgun Instructor,
Owner Operator- DefenderTX Concealed Handgun training
“American by birth Texan by the grace of God”
“Molon labe”
http://www.ebay.com/itm/151001455519?ssPageName=STRK:MESELX:IT&_trksid=p39 84.m1555.l2649

Old 09-29-2011, 12:16 AM   #3

Liked 178 Times on 132 Posts
Likes Given: 44

I totally agree,I buy handguns all the time-and in MI they make you take a test to get a purchase permit and you have to register that permit once you buy the gun---yet I still can't get my CCW here because I have anxiety disorders that they consider "mental illnesses".

S&W 915 9mm
Mossberg 500 Mariner 12ga
1945 Win 94
Ruger MKIII 22/45 4"
Savage MK II
Ruger SP101 .357
Kung-Fu Moves

Old 09-29-2011, 01:02 AM   #4

I think alot of people wonder the same thing but the federal government leaves it up to the states and each state has their ideas of what they think you ahould have to do. I live in ohio and feel their ccw requirements are very fair and the permit only needs renewed every 5 years

Old 09-29-2011, 01:03 AM   #5

Liked 22 Times on 10 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glockpotion23
If you have to pass a background check to buy a gun, whats the need for going through the hassle of obtaining a permit?
Liberals want to make our lives harder; but, the overall all reason is to waste the government's money that hard working Americans pay for in taxes.

Old 09-29-2011, 07:38 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by RecklessRegard

Liberals want to make our lives harder; but, the overall all reason is to waste the government's money that hard working Americans pay for in taxes.
Slight exaggeration. This is how bureaucracy works - lots of hoops.

Plus I don't see how taxpayer money is being wasted, isn't that why you pay for the permit?

Old 09-29-2011, 08:46 AM   #7

Liked 1102 Times on 677 Posts
Likes Given: 2389

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmidfield14 View Post
Slight exaggeration. This is how bureaucracy works - lots of hoops.

Plus I don't see how taxpayer money is being wasted, isn't that why you pay for the permit?
I think we are probably pretty fortunant in that in Ohio we dont pay hundreds of dollars. My guess is that with the SO officers that handle then paperwork, we are paying their salary for the time they are handling our papers.

On the other hand, it really shouldn't cost anything. Nothing like paying to retain your rights

Quote:
Originally Posted by ninjatoth View Post
I totally agree,I buy handguns all the time-and in MI they make you take a test to get a purchase permit and you have to register that permit once you buy the gun---yet I still can't get my CCW here because I have anxiety disorders that they consider "mental illnesses".
I know this has been an ongoing problem for you, but I was really hoping to hear you had made some headway. I'm guessing you haven't. Have you tried getting a letter from your doctor stating that you would be OK (in his professional opinion) to carry a firearm? Get a hold of a attorney too, if only to ask for some guidance. I'm sure there has to be some way around that, some loophole somewhere...

“Let it not be said that no one cared, that no one objected once it’s realized that our liberties and wealth are in jeopardy.”
---Ron Paul

"He who passively accepts evil is as much involved in it as he who helps to perpetuate it."
---Dr. Martin Luther King

"If you think we are free today, you know nothing about tyranny and even less about freedom."
---Tom Braun

Old 09-29-2011, 08:33 PM   #8

Liked 178 Times on 132 Posts
Likes Given: 44

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigByrd47119 View Post
I think we are probably pretty fortunant in that in Ohio we dont pay hundreds of dollars. My guess is that with the SO officers that handle then paperwork, we are paying their salary for the time they are handling our papers.

On the other hand, it really shouldn't cost anything. Nothing like paying to retain your rights

I know this has been an ongoing problem for you, but I was really hoping to hear you had made some headway. I'm guessing you haven't. Have you tried getting a letter from your doctor stating that you would be OK (in his professional opinion) to carry a firearm? Get a hold of a attorney too, if only to ask for some guidance. I'm sure there has to be some way around that, some loophole somewhere...
When I went to register my last handgun purchase,the lady at the sheriffs office told me "now it's time to get your ccw",I informed her that the application says "must not have a diagnosed mental illness at the time application is made whether they are recieving treatment or not"she seemed baffled as to how I could buy a gun if I can't get my ccw,I then went to my doctor and she was a total anti gun person saying "you do have a mental illness"and "I will never reccommend someone coming in here to OWN guns",I was like,I already own them,that's not the issue".I don't get how a supposedly trained psychiatrist would tell someone with OCD and social anxiety disorder(extreme shyness) that I shouldn't even own a gun.But on the federal government guidelines,I dont' even have a mental illness,I have an anxiety disorder,but michigan defines it as mental illness,my state has way too much say into say whatever it wants,michigan is so dumb they classify a slingshot as a firearm.

S&W 915 9mm
Mossberg 500 Mariner 12ga
1945 Win 94
Ruger MKIII 22/45 4"
Savage MK II
Ruger SP101 .357
Kung-Fu Moves

Old 09-29-2011, 08:39 PM   #9
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 5734 Times on 3360 Posts
Likes Given: 4877

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigByrd47119 View Post
Damn straight!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ninjatoth View Post
someone with OCD and social anxiety disorder

michigan is so dumb they classify a slingshot as a firearm.
Sounds like a great way to encourage people to seek help for their challenges.

Slingshot = "firearm" ? Oh yeah, about like horse = motor vehicle, good grief.

Dead Bears, the only good kind.

Old 09-29-2011, 09:03 PM   #10

Liked 1012 Times on 607 Posts
Likes Given: 16

Quote:
Originally Posted by orangello
Damn straight!

Sounds like a great way to encourage people to seek help for their challenges.

Slingshot = "firearm" ? Oh yeah, about like horse = motor vehicle, good grief.
Oklahoma even has its own seperate law on sling shots, or as its listed in the laws "slungshot"... SS1281 felony use of a slung shot...any person who carries upon his person,wheather concealed or not, or uses or attempts to use against another,any instrument or weapon of the kind usually known as a slung shot, or of any similar kind,shall be guilty of a felony....crazy isnt it

Semper paratus.....virtute et armis