This is why CCW is good
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Concealed Carrying & Personal Protection > This is why CCW is good

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-23-2011, 08:40 PM   #1
FTF_MODERATOR.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 5913 Times on 3086 Posts
Likes Given: 415

Default This is why CCW is good

this ccw person saves 4 lives, his own, his co-workers, a mother and her baby.

"Gun control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound." — L. Neil Smith

The problem with being stupid is you cannot simply decide to stop doing dumb things...

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 03-23-2011, 08:54 PM   #2

Liked 32 Times on 22 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Good reaction, but didn't he fire while the BG was retreating?

The perp had a weapon and posed a threat, got off a few shots; so I have no issue with his current dirt nap and assumption of room temperature.

People get the government they deserve.

Old 03-23-2011, 09:00 PM   #3

Liked 1423 Times on 808 Posts
Likes Given: 1290

Quote:
Originally Posted by dunerunner View Post
Good reaction, but didn't he fire while the BG was retreating?

The perp had a weapon and posed a threat, got off a few shots; so I have no issue with his current dirt nap and assumption of room temperature.
Retreating and firing your gun is still a threat!

Dirt bag paid his dues.

http://i1060.photobucket.com/albums/...ps18cfbeae.jpg

Get her dirty, then clean her so she starts to respect you. When her trust is complete, she will serve you well for a lifetime!

"...if doves shot back, there wouldn't be a need for a bag limit."
- orangello

Old 03-23-2011, 09:02 PM   #4

Location: I see you, and you will not know when I will strike
Liked 3479 Times on 1609 Posts
Likes Given: 3590

The area around :31-:34 is a little hazy for me. There is an infant RIGHT THERE and the bad guy is clearly in retreat, but appears to be shooting backwards.

Hard to tell and it's SUPER easy to just sit here and Monday Morning QB it. The guy had good reaction time and his shots hit the mark. Obviously this "upstanding member of the community" was not on his first armed robbery incursion, so I also have no problem with his resulting lead poisoning and ceased heart rate.

JD

Old 03-23-2011, 09:04 PM   #5
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 5913 Times on 3086 Posts
Likes Given: 415

Ramsey is the ccw person. this is taken from a different forum. i found it by a quick google search.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 'Ramsey'
My Justified shooting expieriance.
I put this in the Home defense section because this seemed like the most appropriate section. I was involved in a shooting at my work at a Super 8 motel off brice rd in Columbus Oh. This happend on the sixth of last month. I didn't want to post anything untill things had cooled down and I got a feel for what the law enforcement officals thought. I am pleased to say that the Columbus Police department, were very professional about the whole situation, and even when they had to do there usual routine, never made me feel like a criminal, and they kept me well hidden from the media. I was expecting the worst from the police from all the negative things I've heard people say happen to them after a shooting, so I was very relieved. The officers that I was with did their best to make sure that I was ok, and made me as comfortable as they could. Anyway, I'd like to address some of the things that I learned from this confrontation, and also re-address some things that most of us in the ccw world already know.

A confrontation will be extremely quick and extremely violent: I teach this in my concealed carry class, but never really thought about it. From the time that the Robber walked in and pulled his gun, to the point where he was lying on the pavement was 13 seconds. The shooting portion from when my gun cleared the holster to him on the ground was under 3 seconds (I got these times from the time recorder on the security camera video)

You must remain alert, ALWAYS: I was unprepared for this, I must admit. When he walked into the lobby, I tottaly didn't even notice him. I was busy checking a guest in on my computer that I didn't even look up. It wasn't untill the other desk clerk started acting frantic, and the kid came behind the counter that I looked up and saw him wearing a mask and a gun in his hands.

Holster options: I now know that I don't want any type of retention strap on my firearm. I had one during this incident and realise had I not had the other desk clerk there to conceal my actions of drawing, I don't think I would have been quick enough. When I practice drawing, I always practice undoing the strap at the same time to make it quick, but you MAY loose your fine motor skills, which makes it just a little more difficult, especially for me because I was using a Glock 27, which is a little difficult to get a grip on to begin with, because I can't use my back fingers on it because it is so small. I was using a cheapie nylon, but will now be upgrading to a Galco retention style. In my opinion, just pay the money to get a good holster. Also, I know for sure that an ankle rig would have been almost useless. I think they are good for just BUGs.

Point shooting: As I stated before, everything happend so fast. I didn't use the sights. I used muscle memmory and point shooting. I believe it is imperitive to get yourself trained to shoot quickly(double and triple tap drills)and to get your mucles used to your relative point of aim. More than likely you will never use your sights. It will all be point shooting.

Never say anything: You will probably want to talk about this expieriance, especially with the police. DON'T DO IT!! Anything you have to say right after the shooting you will have to say the next day. No matter how cool calm and collected you think you will be or feel, you still need to calm down. I didn't realise I was wound so tight, untill I loosened up. Anything you have to say, can come through a lawyer. I gave no statement that night, and looked for a lawyer the next day just in case. I had other witnesses who gave statements, so I never even needed to give one, and haven't yet. Why bother if it's not needed. It could only hurt you to give a statement that night, waiting to give a statement through a lawyer never hurt anybody.

These are just some things I thought I should share. I may post a few more things later, but for right now this is it. If you would like to read a little more about the shooting, you can yahoo search it. Type in "shooting at 2055 brice rd" or you can look it up on the civialian self defense blog.

Thanks, and stay safe, Ramsey.
Quote:
Motel Clerk Shoots Would-Be Robber
by
NCB4i (Columbus, OH)
Category: News Center
August 7, 2005

Man To Be Charged With Aggravated Robbery
COLUMBUS, Ohio -- Police said a desk clerk shot a man who was attempting to rob an east side motel on Saturday night.
Officers said that shortly before 9:30 p.m., a man walked into the Super 8 Motel, located at 2055 Brice Rd., showed a gun and demanded money.
Police said the desk clerk on duty then shot the alleged robber, Antoine Stephens.
Stephens, 20, was transported to Grant Medical Center and was in serious condition on Sunday morning, NBC 4 reported.
Police said he would be charged with aggravated robbery.
The motel clerk's name was not released. It was unclear as to whether he would be charged.
Anyone with information about the crime is asked to contact the Columbus police detective bureau at (614) 645-4624. Anonymous calls can be made to Central Ohio Crime Stoppers at (614) 645-8477

reading thru his aar brings some real world experience to the fore. the smaller the gun the harder it is to deploy quickly. a good holster is a good idea!! i think im liking my new agent more and more.

"Gun control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound." — L. Neil Smith

The problem with being stupid is you cannot simply decide to stop doing dumb things...

Last edited by JonM; 03-23-2011 at 09:08 PM.

Old 03-23-2011, 09:30 PM   #6

Liked 32 Times on 22 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Great follow-up post!!

People get the government they deserve.

Old 03-23-2011, 11:18 PM   #7
FTF_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Liked 1383 Times on 700 Posts
Likes Given: 1025

I agree, good post.

"I gave no statement that night, and looked for a lawyer the next day just in case..."

Smart man. Anytime you pull it will change your life. Always CYA. Incidents like this that may seem no-brainers can come back and bite you in the azz.

Old 03-24-2011, 01:25 AM   #8
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 32 Times on 24 Posts
Likes Given: 30

Great post. Kudos to the CCW guy.

Old 03-24-2011, 02:48 AM   #9

I had seen the vid before, but the post by the guy brought new depth to it.

Lifetime NRA Member
Paul Harris Fellow - 3 Diamond Level

Old 03-24-2011, 03:56 PM   #10

It's great that things turned out well for the Good Guy and the bystanders, but IMHO he was lucky. Lucky he didn't shoot that woman or her child, lucky the BG's shots didn't hit anyone either. I don't mean to be too critical, God only knows how I would have reacted. If it were just me I'm sure I would have presented and fired too. With others there between me and the BG I'm not so sure.

I guess what I get most from watching this video is that there are probably never going to be any ideal conditions in an altercation. Situational awareness is a CCW's responsibility. Always armed, always on.

SILENCE DOGOOD