You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of FirearmsTalk.com!    
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Concealed Carrying & Personal Protection >

Why carry without bullet in the chamber?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-02-2013, 07:39 PM   #81
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 1453 Times on 885 Posts
Likes Given: 513

Quote:
Andy won't let me carry a loaded handgun. Some people think just carrying a handgun will scare the bad guys. How did the empty guns work out in the Fort Hood massacre? And that was a military base.
You have lost me with that reply, I am not that familiar with the incident but I would think that the problem was that soldiers were not armed not that they had an unloaded firearm that would have took a few seconds to load and use. I am sure you can correct me if I am wrong.
Quote:
According to testimony from witnesses, Hasan passed up several opportunities to shoot civilians, and instead targeted soldiers in uniform. These soldiers were not allowed to carry personal firearms on the base due to military policy

Old 07-02-2013, 08:40 PM   #82

Liked 1146 Times on 736 Posts
Likes Given: 246

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimRau View Post
.....not fond of he NRA defense courses. They are very unrealistic. They 'push' the safety and marksmanship way more than they do the skills and mindset you need to survive an attack by a determined assailant.
Please post for us, the class names from NRA you feel do not teach surviving an attack, and also list for us what class you have taken, you feel better prepared you to be attacked.

Thank you.

Old 07-02-2013, 08:49 PM   #83

Liked 28 Times on 22 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by therewolf

Yet, strangely enough, there are no NDs of the same sort

caused by "Negligent leg" folks carrying 1911s, or DAs with decockers.

Perhaps the fault can be placed elsewhere, but the fact remains that

material, skin, holsters, seatbelts, and other such clutter getting

snagged in the "safety" mechanism cause

NDs by folks using the glock design.
No NDs by folks carrying 1911s, huh?

http://youtu.be/zYvAxLX6OzE
http://youtu.be/p3kJ6SU3ycs
The same argument of materials interfering with safeties or lack thereof can apply to ANY firearm. It's the end user who is responsible for his own safety and understanding how to correctly holster, draw, fire and clear his weapon.

Gun stores: Where the morbidly obese can pretend to be mercenaries, allude to past experiences in Special Ops, and overuse words like "tactical" and "piece of kit".
People Like This 
Old 07-02-2013, 09:11 PM   #84
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1453 Times on 885 Posts
Likes Given: 513

Quote:
mindset you need to survive an attack by a determined assailant.
What mindset is that. ?

Old 07-02-2013, 09:18 PM   #85

Liked 5756 Times on 3368 Posts
Likes Given: 4889

Because your boss is Sheriff Andy and your name is Barney Fife?

Old 07-02-2013, 10:17 PM   #86
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2875 Times on 1716 Posts
Likes Given: 1819

Quote:
Originally Posted by manta View Post
What mindset is that. ?
The 'NSDQ' mind set. Never quit. A determined assailant will not quit until they have 'control' of their victims, you have to be be more determined than he is if you wish to survive.
Common sense to those of us who have been there and survived!!! It can only be explained to those who have never had to 'fight for their life', some call it the survival instinct. Not everyone has it!!!

Old 07-02-2013, 10:30 PM   #87
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2875 Times on 1716 Posts
Likes Given: 1819

Quote:
Originally Posted by AR10 View Post
Please post for us, the class names from NRA you feel do not teach surviving an attack, and also list for us what class you have taken, you feel better prepared you to be attacked.

Thank you.
I was a certified NRA Police Firearms Instructor for MANY years and had several friends who were instructors in the NRA Self Defense arena. I attended several of the classes they taught as an observer and was amazed at the lack of 'real' training for self defense. Their training was more direct to 'home' defense than individual self defense, up close and personal. That is why I did not pursue certification from the NRA in self defense but developed my own lesson plans and target the 'close quarters' aspects of individual self defense. I encourage my students to then go to the more civilized/idealistic NRA Courses but use my teachings as a basis to continue their training. MANY of my previous students report back to me and they agree with my assessment of the NRA training. The NRA SD Training is not 'bad' just not very realistic, probably for liability reasons.

Old 07-03-2013, 04:35 AM   #88
FTF_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Liked 1468 Times on 773 Posts
Likes Given: 634

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimRau
That was a long post which points out human nature. 'Training is never a wasted time or money', I couldn't disagree more. It is like anything else when it comes to 'products', there are good and bad. That is why I am not fond of he NRA defense courses. They are very unrealistic. They 'push' the safety and marksmanship way more than they do the skills and mindset you need to survive an attack by a determined assailant.
You also say that as long as you're a comfortable with it is OK. Wrong, many people make decisions based on A LOT of misinformation and emotion and they are very comfortable with decision which could get them killed in the real world.
Jim, are you saying that you didn't learn something even from the bad training classes? I did. I learned how to pick instructors, what was a realistic training regimen and what to avoid. The classes also put me in touch with like-minded individuals that had taken other courses and could help me. I always get something from a class even if it doesn't come directly from the curriculum.

And yes, people make decisions that may get them killed. However, different people can collect the same set of facts and come to completely different conclusions. That does not necessarily make their decision wrong. That is why I suggested to train and keep training. The more information they learn and process, the more comfortable they become and the more likely their decisions will prepare them for a true force on force situation. Many people don't even see themselves in the same life-or-death situations they read about everyday in the news. As situational awareness rises, an awareness that they are not prepared for what could happen also rises and different decisions are made. Everything is a learning process, which is why I keep saying be honest with your evaluation of your self and your skill set.

"All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing."

-Edmund Burke, Loosely translated from Thoughts on the Cause of Present Discontents. (1770)
axxe55 Likes This 
Old 07-03-2013, 04:41 AM   #89

Liked 39 Times on 21 Posts
Likes Given: 8

Another argument against having a round in the chamber, a bad argument, but hey, I'm just the messenger on this one.

A national radio talk show host, not a liberal by any means, suggested that because George Zimmerman had a round in the chamber and his safety was off (not that his firearm had a safety, but that doesn't matter to the media) he is guilty of manslaughter.

Seriously?
axxe55 Likes This 
Old 07-03-2013, 04:49 AM   #90

Liked 5017 Times on 2431 Posts
Likes Given: 1601

Quote:
Originally Posted by Graniteman View Post
Okay so I know a lot of my friends that carry, but don't load a bullet into the chamber. I don't understand the point of carrying if your not ready to fire at all times. I always keep a bullet in the chamber. Is this a common thing to not keep a bullet chambered when carrying?
Personal preference... personally, I'm a locked and cocked type of guy but to each his own.

I will say that the bullet in your chamber will be much more effective if you add:
Casing
Primer
... and Charge...

We call this a cartridge.

Tack
People Like This