Why carry without bullet in the chamber? - Page 7
You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of FirearmsTalk.com!    
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Concealed Carrying & Personal Protection >

Why carry without bullet in the chamber?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-02-2013, 07:20 AM   #61
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 3730 Times on 2287 Posts
Likes Given: 1224

Quote:
Originally Posted by kbd512
I always carry with one in the chamber.

I've never felt the slightest bit uncomfortable with a loaded weapon in good working condition. If a weapon's functionality is questionable, then I don't use it.

There's no point in carrying an empty firearm. You might as well not carry it or invest in a purpose designed club.

The "safety" argument is total bunk. Safety is a fictional concept, like the tooth fairy, which is to say it only exists between your ears. Prudent weapons handling means not putting your finger on the trigger or permitting any other objects to contact the trigger until you're on target and ready to fire.

If you're uncomfortable carrying a loaded firearm, how comfortable can you be with the idea of actually using it on someone else in a moment of desperation when all other options are non-starters and you're going to remain alive or become dead within the next few seconds dependent on how you respond to the threat you're presented with?

In situations where I would actually need a weapon of any kind, I have a hard time believing that I'll have time to decide to do anything else other than use it or escape, if at all possible.

I carry a Glock because it has the same manual of arms as a revolver to make it fire; pull the trigger. It holds more bullets than the revolver and therefore affords more opportunities to correct marksmanship mistakes. Big hole (.357 Magnum, 10MM, .45 ACP), small hole (9MM), who cares? Make a hole! Hell, make several holes.

If you live and didn't kill anyone you didn't mean to, you did it right. If you did it with an empty chamber, loaded chamber, or no chamber, it makes little difference. When someone's trying to kill me, I'm not too concerned with the aesthetics of it all.
While I agree with you on every point (except for Glocks - I hate Glocks) I don't think 357 can be classified as a big hole while 9mm is a small hole. There is usually only .002" difference in diameter amongst the common projectile sizes.

But again I agree with your point.

Old 07-02-2013, 08:06 AM   #62

Liked 70 Times on 44 Posts
Likes Given: 49

Carry how you wish just train the muscle memory required to do whatever is necessary to get your weapon ready. Personally that's why I choose round in the chamber and safety on because I did not have to retrain my muscle memory after getting out of the Army. That is also part of the reason I will not own a gun that has no safety.

Old 07-02-2013, 08:32 AM   #63

Liked 587 Times on 393 Posts
Likes Given: 47

I think all sides and viable opinions have been expressed, now may be a good time to close this discussion before it digresses any further..

DISCE PATI

Fear cuts deeper then the sword.
axxe55 Likes This 
Old 07-02-2013, 12:10 PM   #64

Liked 2611 Times on 1484 Posts
Likes Given: 2004

If you really want to "increase the peace",

take a noob shooting. They are our future.

Old 07-02-2013, 12:38 PM   #65

Liked 2158 Times on 1182 Posts
Likes Given: 1394

No way I would be carrying a 1911 cocked with the safety off. That is asking for a ND!
Romans 1:16 I am not ashamed of the gospel, because it is the power of God for the salvation of everyone who believes: first for the Jew, then for the Gentile.
JD1969 Likes This 
Old 07-02-2013, 12:43 PM   #66

Liked 1139 Times on 730 Posts
Likes Given: 246

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimRau View Post

Another 'dead horse'.
The two most worthless things in the world are:
1. An unloaded gun. (No round down the pipe is unloaded)
2. A dull knife.
Nuff said!
My pocket knives always get conditioned for lifelong safe carry, first thing, first day. I find a piece of steel, and I take the blade, and run it down hard across the steel, as if I am trying to cut it in half. I do this several times.

This edge antipolish job still lets me cut most anything, open boxes, etc, but it makes the knife safer to work with. Had my fill of cuts to the bone over the years.

Snap on guy was showing me a knife once, and as he was handing me the knife, he drops it. He reaches to catch the knife before it hits the ground, and opens his hand up many stitches worth, fifty some as I remember.

Old 07-02-2013, 12:58 PM   #67

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonM View Post

That was one of the orders I didn't follow.

One of the guys followed it respondeding to a loud music got his gun taken because he didn't have a round ready and got the crap beat out of him....
Take a beating, or shoot someone. Hejj of a choice. I carry, have done so with a permit 30 years a go, then 25 years as constitutional carry, now back to permit carry again, and about to start teaching CC classes.

In my experiences, and in my class, I will be teaching, sometimes it would be better to get a black eye than live with killing someone. The post about people acting like Clint Eastwood while they carry has merit. This concealed carry responsibility is not life imitating art, it is deadly.

Old 07-02-2013, 01:29 PM   #68

So many great posts in this thread. Very smart people in our community.

A Glock will never go off from a drop. Not a waist high drop, not a tumble down stairs, or even pulling it at the end of a rope, behind a fast moving vehicle, dragged miles down a gravel road. Great you tube video.

Someone or some thing needs to have a five pound trigger pull in the center of a long trigger pull. Absent that condition, a Glock will not fire.

My thoughts on a Glock for civilian carry? This is a military gun, with some good points, and some trade offs that make use in and around civilians, more of a powder keg. Personally, for my Glock 20, I use only a retention level two holster made to only fit my gun, and I add a third level of safety by also using a trigger block safety. My Glock has a zero probability of ever producing Glock Leg, which is a personal goal of mine. I train 100 rounds a month, or more, so the time it takes to go from holster to dialing 911 to report a shooting is nill.

How much coin do you have in your daily driving vehicle? I have, round numbers, $80,000 in one, own many vehicles. What is your home worth? Quarter mil here. Other assets? Afirmitive.

If and when I make the judgment call to stop an attacker with my personal firearm, all my personal wealth goes out the window. Vehicles, homes, savings, all gone. The attorney's feeding frenzy would look like pouring fish parts from a bucket into a school of sharks, and my wealth would be consumed that quickly.

I have zero interest in killing or injuring anyone, over most anything. I stay out of trouble, and trouble producing situations. If cornered, I would flee or fight with a baseball bat way before I would present a gun to settle things.

Last edited by AR10; 07-02-2013 at 01:40 PM.

Old 07-02-2013, 01:35 PM   #69

Liked 28 Times on 22 Posts
Likes Given: 4

I hate the term Glock Leg because it implies it is the weapon's fault. The reality is that any and all supposed instances of the so called Glock Leg should actually be called "Negligent Leg" as the fault lies with the shooter.

Gun stores: Where the morbidly obese can pretend to be mercenaries, allude to past experiences in Special Ops, and overuse words like "tactical" and "piece of kit".
kbd512 Likes This 
Old 07-02-2013, 01:35 PM   #70
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1341 Times on 793 Posts
Likes Given: 250

My wife wouldn't carry one in the chamber, and bugged me to no end having to think about whose gun it was I was picking up if it was cond 1 or not.

Came to a head at the range one day when she couldn't pull the slide to load one into the chamber. Her hands were so dry she couldn't get a solid grip.