Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Concealed Carrying & Personal Protection > Why carry without bullet in the chamber?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-01-2013, 06:40 PM   #51
FTF_MODERATOR.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 5118 Times on 2664 Posts
Likes Given: 310

Quote:
Originally Posted by axxe55 View Post
many times military bases have certain regulations and guidelines they want personel to adhere to and it's not an individuals option to make a choice to carry chambered or unchambered. sometimes it is orders from higher up th ladder that make these choices.
That was one of the orders I didn't follow.

One of the guys followed it respondeding to a loud music got his gun taken because he didn't have a round ready and got the crap beat out of him....

"Gun control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound." — L. Neil Smith

The problem with being stupid is you cannot simply decide to stop doing dumb things...

People Like This 
Old 07-01-2013, 06:49 PM   #52
The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

Liked 19562 Times on 11103 Posts
Likes Given: 49220

Quote:
Originally Posted by manta View Post
True but the fact that even unloaded they carry the firearm so it can be loaded and brought into action at short notice is an example that an unloaded firearm is not useless. a paper weight and none of the other nonsensical examples. Its simple a firearm with a round in the chamber can be quicker to bring into action after that its up to the individual to decide what way to carry.
true and i never said a firearm was worthless, and simply put, i believe in and advocate carrying chambered. my reference to a two pound club was simply an anology of the situation.

merely explaining why there is a difference in what a person may be required to do when on post in the military, that many times it'snot an individuals choice or option. just like they carry and use what is issued. a private citizen is allowed choices not afforded to military personel.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonM View Post
That was one of the orders I didn't follow.

One of the guys followed it respondeding to a loud music got his gun taken because he didn't have a round ready and got the crap beat out of him....
part of the reason i suggest and advocate carrying loaded! that small difference in time could mean the difference in life or death.

Old 07-01-2013, 07:24 PM   #53

Liked 350 Times on 248 Posts
Likes Given: 104

The army was just a example, a firearm only becomes a club if there is no ammo to put in it that's why they invented bayonets.

images.jpg  

Old 07-01-2013, 07:28 PM   #54
The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

Liked 19562 Times on 11103 Posts
Likes Given: 49220

Quote:
Originally Posted by manta View Post
The army was just a example, a firearm only becomes a club if there is no ammo to put in it that's why they invented bayonets.
i am not going to argue with you about this. i simply made a statement based on my opinions and you seem bound and determined to pick apart my words.

i going to withdraw myself from this discussion and say have a nice day.
Old 07-01-2013, 07:37 PM   #55

Liked 334 Times on 203 Posts
Likes Given: 260

Quote:
Originally Posted by mahall View Post
Why use the safety?? Just an added step, with the possibility of missing the button or lever in a crises!! Only way I can see a safety being used is with a feather light trigger which I wouldn't carry for that reason!! A lot of small compacts have no safety but a long trigger pull which I personally think is ideal for carry!
Maybe he chooses to carry a 1911 style pistol (as I do). that weapon is designed to be carried with one in the pipe WITH the safety on. There is no way I would carry a 1911 with a round chambered and the safety off. One of the reasons I like the 1911 for carry is the location and function of the safety.

Part of your training is to ingrain the dis-engagement of the safety while you are bring the firearm into play. Once this ingrained, it doe snot take any additional time. Again, I feel it comes down to carrying what you are comfortable with and the correct training.

''I won't be wronged. I won't be insulted. I won't be laid a-hand on. I don't do these things to other people, and I require the same from them."
J.B. Books

axxe55 Likes This 
Old 07-01-2013, 07:43 PM   #56

Liked 350 Times on 248 Posts
Likes Given: 104

Quote:
i am not going to argue with you about this. i simply made a statement based on my opinions and you seem bound and determined to pick apart my words
I am not intending to everyone is entitled to their opinion. I just think people should look at the pros and cons and then decide for themselves, they are the ones that will have to possibly face the consciences of their decision.

Old 07-02-2013, 05:03 AM   #57

Liked 2394 Times on 1363 Posts
Likes Given: 1887

Here's a Con to "one in the tube 24/7".

A former LEO I know had a great job with a

local police force. Good salary and benefits.

But because he left his loaded service pistol

in his apartment, he had a ND.

The round went through his wall, and lodged

in the wall of a neighbor's apartment.

No one was injured, thankfully. But now

he's a rent-a-cop, working two jobs, at

minimum wage.

Many specific details of the incident have been

purposely omitted to protect the innocent.

Old 07-02-2013, 05:23 AM   #58

Liked 4787 Times on 2678 Posts
Likes Given: 1736

Andy won't let me carry a loaded handgun. Some people think just carrying a handgun will scare the bad guys. How did the empty guns work out in the Fort Hood massacre? And that was a military base.

barney.jpg  

Old 07-02-2013, 05:55 AM   #59

Liked 160 Times on 138 Posts
Likes Given: 15

Quote:
Originally Posted by JD1969

Maybe he chooses to carry a 1911 style pistol (as I do). that weapon is designed to be carried with one in the pipe WITH the safety on. There is no way I would carry a 1911 with a round chambered and the safety off. One of the reasons I like the 1911 for carry is the location and function of the safety.

Part of your training is to ingrain the dis-engagement of the safety while you are bring the firearm into play. Once this ingrained, it doe snot take any additional time. Again, I feel it comes down to carrying what you are comfortable with and the correct training.
Part of your training maybe!! Not part of my training!! Drawing and a split decision to fire or not is all I want to think about in a live or die situation!! My gun just as safe in my Holster with or without the safety on!! Nobody is going to accidentally pull that trigger!! Besides if an external safety was so important why are they not on all guns!! Why hasn't the government stuck there nose in that aspect of gun carry and regulations!! Totally useless outside of maybe feather triggers that are kept at home!! But we all do what we think is best!! Any added steps or action adds time, maybe just a micro second, but don't fool yourself that you can draw and fire just as fast with or without the safety on! Not true!!

Old 07-02-2013, 06:29 AM   #60
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 841 Times on 486 Posts
Likes Given: 339

I always carry with one in the chamber.

I've never felt the slightest bit uncomfortable with a loaded weapon in good working condition. If a weapon's functionality is questionable, then I don't use it.

There's no point in carrying an empty firearm. You might as well not carry it or invest in a purpose designed club.

The "safety" argument is total bunk. Safety is a fictional concept, like the tooth fairy, which is to say it only exists between your ears. Prudent weapons handling means not putting your finger on the trigger or permitting any other objects to contact the trigger until you're on target and ready to fire.

If you're uncomfortable carrying a loaded firearm, how comfortable can you be with the idea of actually using it on someone else in a moment of desperation when all other options are non-starters and you're going to remain alive or become dead within the next few seconds dependent on how you respond to the threat you're presented with?

In situations where I would actually need a weapon of any kind, I have a hard time believing that I'll have time to decide to do anything else other than use it or escape, if at all possible.

I carry a Glock because it has the same manual of arms as a revolver to make it fire; pull the trigger. It holds more bullets than the revolver and therefore affords more opportunities to correct marksmanship mistakes. Big hole (.357 Magnum, 10MM, .45 ACP), small hole (9MM), who cares? Make a hole! Hell, make several holes.

If you live and didn't kill anyone you didn't mean to, you did it right. If you did it with an empty chamber, loaded chamber, or no chamber, it makes little difference. When someone's trying to kill me, I'm not too concerned with the aesthetics of it all.