Why carry without bullet in the chamber? - Page 5
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Concealed Carrying & Personal Protection > Why carry without bullet in the chamber?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-01-2013, 04:43 PM   #41
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 205 Times on 131 Posts
Likes Given: 164

Well I left my horse in the garage and my six gun in the dresser. (LOL)

I get seriously concerned when I read these posts where it seems that shooting from the hip is the only solution when confronted by someone wanting to do you harm. It would appear that Clint Eastwood westerns control how many of you carry.

First, I am not a gun slinger and definitely not a quick draw artist. My first response would be to duck for cover, then draw and ready my pistol. Drawing a pistol when someone has the drop on you will definitely get you shot or at the least get many bullets shot at you.

Second, you MUST know what is behind the target you are shooting at, a simple miss might kill someone not in the fight, and that is murder (happy execution or a long prison vacation). (a mistake, yes, but one you can not afford to make).

Third, why did you start carrying a weapon to start with? Are you looking for a gun fight or is it to protect yourself and those around you? I can rack a round into the chamber faster than I can draw while acquiring my target. Do I need that extra second to make sure my shot is going to the correct target (YES).

How you carry is your choice, how you use it is prescribed by law.

Make sure you make the right choice.
Jim

Last edited by bigjim; 07-01-2013 at 04:47 PM.
People Like This 
Old 07-01-2013, 05:04 PM   #42

Liked 144 Times on 80 Posts
Likes Given: 41

Quote:
Originally Posted by hawkguy View Post
i'll make one post on this and leave, cause i have gone down this road before.

i'm FAR from an expert, but there is a good reason to carry with an empty chamber: safety!

i posted this once before, and it seems a large number of posters refused, for whatever reason, to believe that this happened.

i had a good friend who dropped his chambered glock on accident (i know what comes next from some...how could he drop his carry weapon....he is not careful enough.. i would never drop mine....blah blah). all i can say is, of course he didint mean to drop it....but it CAN happen to anyone. no one means to drop anything generally. anyway, he dropped his chambered glock....and it went off, putting a hole trough his front door! this is a good friend, so i take his word as fact & i saw the bullet hole. his g-friend at the time also backed up the story. he has never carried chambered again. one can make all the technical reasons for why this CAN"T happen in a modern firearm, i know for a FACT it does.

there are ways to carry with an empty chamber that doesn't make the use of the gun any slower (DA revolvers).

i'm not judging anyone who carries with one in the chamber, i am explaining (one reason) why some may chose not to. and i think it is a valid reason.
I hope he took it to a gun smith. They are supposed to have safety mechanisms to prevent that.

Old 07-01-2013, 05:20 PM   #43

Liked 160 Times on 138 Posts
Likes Given: 15

Quote:
Originally Posted by thdrduck
I still like my odds better with my carry gun on my side without one in the chamber then my odds with my carry gun in my dresser. I'm assuming I live a very boring life because often on my walks my carry gun is a .22 rifle (without one in the chamber). If I were to go to an area with an elevated risk though, I would probably rack one.
Well if your going there!! A gun without any ammo at all is better than one left on the dresser!! If BG is close enough at least you can attempt to pistol whip him!! I can't imagine carrying without being chambered and ready to go!! I mean the risk vs reward formula is so in favor of a chambered weapon!! And it's not about looking for a gun fight, it's about being prepared to the best of my ability to protect my life or the life of another!! And as I see it, a chambered weapon is much more prepared to defend than one that's not!! And throw the revolver freaks in the equation, I guess you would leave the hammer cylinder empty which would make your DA option useless!! None of it makes any sense to me!! But to each is own!!

Old 07-01-2013, 05:35 PM   #44

Liked 930 Times on 495 Posts
Likes Given: 676

One in the chamber at all times. Pull it out, click off the safety and boom. I hope I never have to use it but ya never know.

USMC 74-78

eatmydust Likes This 
Old 07-01-2013, 05:49 PM   #45

Liked 28 Times on 22 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by davva360

I hope he took it to a gun smith. They are supposed to have safety mechanisms to prevent that.
Yup. I'm thinking one of two things:

1). There was something malfunctioning with his Glock

Or the more likely scenario

2). He was careless and had a ND, but was embarrassed and made up the story of dropping it.

Years ago I was clearing an abandoned house once where we thought a suspect was hiding. Back them I carried a G19 with a TLR1. I was going up a staircase to check the second floor when BOOM!, my foot goes right through the top step and I fall backwards, bashing my head on the step and dropping my gun. It tumbled down no less than 10 stairs then came to rest safely on the landing. (And no, the bad guy wasn't anywhere near where we thought he was. He was picked up a few days later at a family member's house and she admitted she had been hiding him there for the last week). If he had been in the house not only would he have heard the fall but he also would have heard my coworkers laughing hysterically at the rookie who managed to get an on duty injury without a actually something cool.

Anyway.........

Glocks are made to fire one way and one way only: when the trigger is pulled.

The only time you can have too much ammunition is if you're swimming or on fire!

Gun stores: Where the morbidly obese can pretend to be mercenaries, allude to past experiences in Special Ops, and overuse words like "tactical" and "piece of kit".

Old 07-01-2013, 05:49 PM   #46

Liked 160 Times on 138 Posts
Likes Given: 15

Quote:
Originally Posted by limbkiller
One in the chamber at all times. Pull it out, click off the safety and boom. I hope I never have to use it but ya never know.
Why use the safety?? Just an added step, with the possibility of missing the button or lever in a crises!! Only way I can see a safety being used is with a feather light trigger which I wouldn't carry for that reason!! A lot of small compacts have no safety but a long trigger pull which I personally think is ideal for carry!

Old 07-01-2013, 05:54 PM   #47
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 423 Times on 290 Posts
Likes Given: 131

Quote:
an empty chamber equals a two pound club. not a good thing
No it equals a firearm that takes a few seconds to bring into action. People should carry whatever way they feel comfortable with.

Quote:
The two most worthless things in the world are:
1. An unloaded gun. (No round down the pipe is unloaded)
2. A dull knife.
So the army carrying without a round in the chamber on base for example makes the firearm worthless.

Last edited by manta; 07-01-2013 at 06:00 PM.

Old 07-01-2013, 05:55 PM   #48
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 5738 Times on 2997 Posts
Likes Given: 379

In a stock glock it is not possible for it to go off when dropped. The striker is in a decompressed state. The trigger must pulled fully to the rear for the striker spring to have enough energy to fire. Secondly the firing pin block can only be disengaged by fully pulling the trigger to the rear.

On an unmodified glock I think you could put it in a vice and hit it hard as you can with a sledge hammer 50 times a second for a year and it won't go off.

I don't think your friend is telling the full story... No modern firearm as it comes from the factory will go off by dropping including 1911A1 with no firing pin safety

"Gun control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound." — L. Neil Smith

The problem with being stupid is you cannot simply decide to stop doing dumb things...

Old 07-01-2013, 06:24 PM   #49
The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

Liked 21592 Times on 12249 Posts
Likes Given: 53672

Quote:
Originally Posted by manta View Post
No it equals a firearm that takes a few seconds to bring into action. People should carry whatever way they feel comfortable with.

So the army carrying without a round in the chamber on base for example makes the firearm worthless.
many times military bases have certain regulations and guidelines they want personel to adhere to and it's not an individuals option to make a choice to carry chambered or unchambered. sometimes it is orders from higher up th ladder that make these choices.

Old 07-01-2013, 06:36 PM   #50
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 423 Times on 290 Posts
Likes Given: 131

Quote:
many times military bases have certain regulations and guidelines they want personel to adhere to and it's not an individuals option to make a choice to carry chambered or unchambered. sometimes it is orders from higher up th ladder that make these choices.
True but the fact that even unloaded they carry the firearm so it can be loaded and brought into action at short notice is an example that an unloaded firearm is not useless.
Quote:
an empty chamber equals a two pound club. not a good thing
Quote:
The two most worthless things in the world are:
1. An unloaded gun. (No round down the pipe is unloaded)
2. A dull knife.
a paper weight and none of the other nonsensical examples. Its simple a firearm with a round in the chamber can be quicker to bring into action after that its up to the individual to decide what way to carry.

Last edited by manta; 07-01-2013 at 06:39 PM.