Why carry without bullet in the chamber? - Page 4
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Concealed Carrying & Personal Protection > Why carry without bullet in the chamber?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-01-2013, 12:24 PM   #31
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 1139 Times on 591 Posts
Likes Given: 49

Used to be, carrying an semi-auto pistol without a round in the chamber was called an "Israeli carry" because this was how the Israeli armed forces carried their handguns.

I believe that in MOST situations where a firearms might have to be pulled, having to chamber a round (assuming a practiced technique) would not make much difference, and I believe that over all, it is a safer practice. However, it somehow seems wrong to me to carry a weapon that is not ready to go, so I DO carry with a round chambered.

However, I have another bad habit with regard to 1911 type pistols -- I carry with a round chambered, but the hammer down (Condition Two), so when I pull it I have to draw and cock the hammer. I'm reasonably proficient at this, and don't see much, if any speed loss as opposed to carrying it cocked and locked, but for 1911 purists who believe in carrying in Condition One I know this is considered bad technique.. I understand the arguments for and against this method of carry, but this is the method I feel most comfortable with, and I"ve been carrying this way for over 30 years.

Old 07-01-2013, 12:55 PM   #32
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2014 Times on 1191 Posts
Likes Given: 971

Quote:
Originally Posted by Graniteman View Post
Okay so I know a lot of my friends that carry, but don't load a bullet into the chamber. I don't understand the point of carrying if your not ready to fire at all times. I always keep a bullet in the chamber. Is this a common thing to not keep a bullet chambered when carrying?
Another 'dead horse'.
The two most worthless things in the world are:
1. An unloaded gun. (No round down the pipe is unloaded)
2. A dull knife.
Nuff said!

An armed society is not always a polite society, but it is a free and safe society!
Self Defense is an absolute and natural right!
Keep your head down and your powder dry!

Last edited by JimRau; 07-01-2013 at 01:02 PM.
texaswoodworker Likes This 
Old 07-01-2013, 12:58 PM   #33
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1768 Times on 989 Posts
Likes Given: 1302

Quote:
Originally Posted by winds-of-change View Post
He was just kidding me.
I know. I was kidding, too. It was just too good to pass up.

Old 07-01-2013, 01:22 PM   #34

Liked 2544 Times on 1451 Posts
Likes Given: 1976

Quote:
Originally Posted by mahall View Post
Hopefully you will never have to use your weapon, but I've learned to never say "never" I've learned that you want a guarantee in life, buy a toaster! Otherwise stay in guarded optimism over just about everything, especially over life threatening situations!!
I pray I will never, ever, ever have to use a firearm upon

another human being. That said, if the Kennedy assassinations

showed us anything, it was that the key to killing is vicious will,

not the condition of the weapon.

And Doc, them's funny words coming from

a guy who travels around with a rolling

hospital. ..

Old 07-01-2013, 01:35 PM   #35
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1768 Times on 989 Posts
Likes Given: 1302

Quote:
Originally Posted by therewolf View Post

And Doc, them's funny words coming from

a guy who travels around with a rolling

hospital. ..
I guess that's why we always had a firetruck with us. <grin>
Old 07-01-2013, 01:40 PM   #36
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 5797 Times on 3027 Posts
Likes Given: 397

Carrying with an empty chamber on a semi auto defeats the biggest advantage a semi auto has. With a semi auto you are virtual gauranteed one round going off no matter what else happens. Without one in the chamber your relying on adrenaline fueled muscles to rack the slide getting it far back enough to correctly chamber.

Unless your a mystic with powers beyound mine to predict when your going to need a live round ready you never will know exactly when that gun will be needed. Lots of crime happens in bright daylight at the most safest places.

The one refrain you hear the most from folks who have used guns in self defense is "i didnt think anything was going to happen..."

What happens if your confronted by one of the face eating zombies that have been popping up of late. They arent scared by racking slides or the sight of guns. All they want is to fuel their hunger with the flesh off your face. Those bath salt zombies can be found anywhere get attacked by one and its gonna be just a tad difficult to chamber a round.

Or what happens a lot is animal attack. In milwaukee wisconsin a vile pitbull launched itself off a second story balcony to attack a person if that happens to you how are you going to chamber a round with a 100 pound genetically imprinted man killer on your back??

Me, i will always have a round ready to go. Ive been carrying 30 years have yet to have one go off uninentionally as well. Carrying in a proper holster and keeping your booger hook out of the trigger guard pretty much gaurantees safe loaded gun carry.

"Gun control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound." — L. Neil Smith

The problem with being stupid is you cannot simply decide to stop doing dumb things...

Balota Likes This 
Old 07-01-2013, 02:04 PM   #37

Liked 3021 Times on 1805 Posts
Likes Given: 2040

Quote:
Originally Posted by Graniteman View Post
Okay so I know a lot of my friends that carry, but don't load a bullet into the chamber. I don't understand the point of carrying if your not ready to fire at all times. I always keep a bullet in the chamber. Is this a common thing to not keep a bullet chambered when carrying?
i'll make one post on this and leave, cause i have gone down this road before.

i'm FAR from an expert, but there is a good reason to carry with an empty chamber: safety!

i posted this once before, and it seems a large number of posters refused, for whatever reason, to believe that this happened.

i had a good friend who dropped his chambered glock on accident (i know what comes next from some...how could he drop his carry weapon....he is not careful enough.. i would never drop mine....blah blah). all i can say is, of course he didint mean to drop it....but it CAN happen to anyone. no one means to drop anything generally. anyway, he dropped his chambered glock....and it went off, putting a hole trough his front door! this is a good friend, so i take his word as fact & i saw the bullet hole. his g-friend at the time also backed up the story. he has never carried chambered again. one can make all the technical reasons for why this CAN"T happen in a modern firearm, i know for a FACT it does.

there are ways to carry with an empty chamber that doesn't make the use of the gun any slower (DA revolvers).

i'm not judging anyone who carries with one in the chamber, i am explaining (one reason) why some may chose not to. and i think it is a valid reason.

Old 07-01-2013, 02:24 PM   #38
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2929 Times on 1702 Posts
Likes Given: 1746

I always carry with a chambered round, that's why there are safety features built into every sidearm and my practices & SOPs. (And I do concealed carry 2 fire extinguishers, one in my truck & one in my work van. Safety on, of course!)

We are all biodegradable.

Ruger, don't leave home without it.

Last edited by eatmydust; 07-01-2013 at 02:44 PM. Reason: misspell

Old 07-01-2013, 03:01 PM   #39

Liked 160 Times on 138 Posts
Likes Given: 15

Quote:
Originally Posted by eatmydust
I always carry with a chambered round, that's why there are safety features built into every sidearm and my practices & SOPs. (And I don concealed carry 2 fire extinguishers, one in my truck & one in my work van. Safety on, of course!)
Safety is another useless feature on a carry firearm to me!! Anything with added time for a made decision in life or death situation is useless! If your not real familiar with where the safety is and have not used it in a crises, there is a decent chance you might not be able disengage the safety in a split second!! Heck I would rather carry without a round in the chamber then the safety engaged!! Now HD Weapons, the safety is on, with the mindset that if I ever need it, my allotted response time will be much greater!! But on my hip I'm ready to fire!! Now I do carry long pull trigger guns that would be almost impossible for an accidental discharge!! As far as dropping a chambered weapon I will trade that very unlikely chance to add a couple of seconds to life or death response time!!

Old 07-01-2013, 03:44 PM   #40

Liked 92 Times on 59 Posts
Likes Given: 29

I still like my odds better with my carry gun on my side without one in the chamber then my odds with my carry gun in my dresser. I'm assuming I live a very boring life because often on my walks my carry gun is a .22 rifle (without one in the chamber). If I were to go to an area with an elevated risk though, I would probably rack one.

USAF 77-99
MAC trained killer