Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Concealed Carrying & Personal Protection > Why carry without bullet in the chamber?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-20-2013, 03:49 PM   #301
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Liked 6558 Times on 3635 Posts
Likes Given: 27929

Quote:
Originally Posted by lucznik View Post
Because you are all engaging (comically seriously if I might add) in the late 20th-early 21st century equivalent of the late 19th-early 20th century argument that told cowboys not to load 6 rounds in their Colt SAAs.

Those of you familiar with the practice repeat after me... "Load one, skip one, load four, cock, and then lower the hammer."

I can just see some such gun-wielders tapping away at their telegraph machines... "If you're only going to load five, you might as well not be carrying at all. What happens if you come up against 6 Indians? Why, the seconds required to manipulate the loading gate and reload would prove catastrophic..."
Are you familiar with the gun designs of that era? You DO realize that carrying an old SAA with the hammer down on the round could cause an accidental discharge if the hammer is struck, don't you?

Carrying a gun with a round chambered doesn't pose that risk anymore. You either have to pull the trigger, or turn of the safety and then pull the trigger for the gun to fire. And yes, the few second it takes to rack the slide could very well cost you your life.

Here's an example of what why it could cost you your life.

A man with a knife 15 feet away can charge you, and be at your throat extremely quickly. Sometimes quicker then you can even draw your gun. What are you going to do in that situation? You barely have time to even draw your gun. Where are you going to find the time to rack the slide too?

Quote:
In the end some chose to be safe by following the practice of loading only 5 in their 6-shooters. Such individuals never experienced an AD - at least not as a result of having loaded too many rounds in their gun. Did any of them actually ever encounter those 6 Indians? I don't know. No one does really because if they did, they were quickly rendered too dead to later tell the story.
Again, there is a difference between the revolvers of the old west, and the semi autos of today. You are also forgetting that a revolver with an empty chamber can still be shot just by thumbing the hammer as usual and pulling the trigger. On a semi, you have to rack the slide.

Quote:
Some insisted that they were in-and-of-themselves all the safety the gun required and loaded up all six chambers. Of these many never had an AD and lived their lives thinking themselves very clever. Others had the misfortune of learning first hand why the safety slogan was offered and had to suffer the oft-times serious consequences if their choice.
Once again, there IS a difference between those revolvers, and todays semi autos.

Quote:
The point is, none of that yacking over the telegraph machine ;-) ever convinced a single one of them to do things any different than they had first envisioned for themselves. It was all just a lot of hot air. And so it is again today.
Maybe, maybe not. Can you really say that? You really don't know what everyone who reads this will do.

Old 08-20-2013, 05:27 PM   #302
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 48 Times on 38 Posts

I use to carry without a round in the chamber because I believed that the time it takes to rack the slide was only a second or less and that I would never be in a situation where that small amount of time would be important. It also gave a peace of mind about not shooting myself in the leg or accidentally blowing my manhood off.
Well what changed my mind was that I was dropping my son off at his mother's house which isnt in the best neighborhood and it was dark. I had pulled in between two cars parallel parked on the side of the street when a car pulls up along the driver side of my car along the front fender essentially blocking my car in. I observed some suspicious behavior in the back of the car and the rear passenger exited the car. As the rear passenger exited the car his shirt was raised and I saw the unmistakable image of a pistol grip exposed. I immediately reached for the door handle to exit the car with my left hand while simultaneously reaching for my pistol with the right. now im standing behind my door for cover focusing on this guy and the other car occupants. Now what I dont have is a spare hand to rack the slide or that extra second that I would need if this guys draws on me with his possibly chambered weapon. Now I may have been being paranoid but the guy just walked across the street coming around the car from the rear between their car and mine and then the car pulled off. I think I was lucky that I was just being paranoid but my chamber when carrying will not be empty again.

Old 08-20-2013, 05:33 PM   #303
Camo, you are lucky to see it.
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Location: Eatonville,Washington. My nearest neighbors are cows.
Liked 1702 Times on 942 Posts
Likes Given: 5178

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimRau View Post
We all know 'dodo occurs' many times
No, dodo is dead, doodoo lives.
Long live doodoo, (but not because we want it that way).

Old 08-20-2013, 05:39 PM   #304
Camo, you are lucky to see it.
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Location: Eatonville,Washington. My nearest neighbors are cows.
Liked 1702 Times on 942 Posts
Likes Given: 5178

Quote:
Originally Posted by John_Deer View Post
We all like to think we run a safe farm.
I have a hobby farm, which means I get to do the hard work myself. AND I DON"T make money at. But the dangers remain.

But today I am going to be risky and carry 2 bullets in the chamber. !

Old 08-20-2013, 05:48 PM   #305
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1563 Times on 932 Posts
Likes Given: 778

Quote:
Originally Posted by GunRunner View Post
I use to carry without a round in the chamber because I believed that the time it takes to rack the slide was only a second or less and that I would never be in a situation where that small amount of time would be important. It also gave a peace of mind about not shooting myself in the leg or accidentally blowing my manhood off.
Well what changed my mind was that I was dropping my son off at his mother's house which isnt in the best neighborhood and it was dark. I had pulled in between two cars parallel parked on the side of the street when a car pulls up along the driver side of my car along the front fender essentially blocking my car in. I observed some suspicious behavior in the back of the car and the rear passenger exited the car. As the rear passenger exited the car his shirt was raised and I saw the unmistakable image of a pistol grip exposed. I immediately reached for the door handle to exit the car with my left hand while simultaneously reaching for my pistol with the right. now im standing behind my door for cover focusing on this guy and the other car occupants. Now what I dont have is a spare hand to rack the slide or that extra second that I would need if this guys draws on me with his possibly chambered weapon. Now I may have been being paranoid but the guy just walked across the street coming around the car from the rear between their car and mine and then the car pulled off. I think I was lucky that I was just being paranoid but my chamber when carrying will not be empty again.
Page 23, post # 230!!!
Nuff said!

An armed society is not always a polite society, but it is a free and safe society!
Self Defense is an absolute and natural right!
Keep your head down and your powder dry!

KG7IL Likes This