Why carry without bullet in the chamber? - Page 30
You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of FirearmsTalk.com!    
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Concealed Carrying & Personal Protection >

Why carry without bullet in the chamber?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-20-2013, 12:54 AM   #291
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Liked 6579 Times on 3639 Posts
Likes Given: 27929

Quote:
Originally Posted by lucznik View Post
Y'all take yourselves way too seriously...
What makes you say that? I'd say carrying a gun is something to take seriously.
Axxe55 Likes This 
Old 08-20-2013, 01:25 AM   #292
The Apocalypse Is Coming.....
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 22310 Times on 12476 Posts
Likes Given: 53672

Quote:
Originally Posted by lucznik View Post
Y'all take yourselves way too seriously...
Quote:
Originally Posted by texaswoodworker View Post
a person that doesn't take the carrying of a firearms seriously, shouldn't be carrying a firearm in the first place. safety with a firearm should be taken very seriously.
People Like This 
Old 08-20-2013, 01:31 AM   #293

Location: Eatonville,Washington. My nearest neighbors are cows.
Liked 2032 Times on 1124 Posts
Likes Given: 6091

The last three days, while working on a slope, I was on and off the tractor, augering postholes, repairing and restringing 1000's of feet of barbed wire.

The whole time I never once thought that carrying one in the chamber of my 1911 was a risk.

There are approximately 3.1 million men and women who work on America's 2.3 million farms and ranches. According to Accident Facts published in 1990 by the National Safety Council, farm accidents and other work-related health problems claim as many as 1300 lives and cause 120,000 injuries a year, most of which are preventable
People Like This 
Old 08-20-2013, 05:34 AM   #294

Liked 41 Times on 29 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by texaswoodworker

Because you are all engaging (comically seriously if I might add) in the late 20th-early 21st century equivalent of the late 19th-early 20th century argument that told cowboys not to load 6 rounds in their Colt SAAs.

Those of you familiar with the practice repeat after me... "Load one, skip one, load four, cock, and then lower the hammer."

I can just see some such gun-wielders tapping away at their telegraph machines... "If you're only going to load five, you might as well not be carrying at all. What happens if you come up against 6 Indians? Why, the seconds required to manipulate the loading gate and reload would prove catastrophic..."

In the end some chose to be safe by following the practice of loading only 5 in their 6-shooters. Such individuals never experienced an AD - at least not as a result of having loaded too many rounds in their gun. Did any of them actually ever encounter those 6 Indians? I don't know. No one does really because if they did, they were quickly rendered too dead to later tell the story.

Some insisted that they were in-and-of-themselves all the safety the gun required and loaded up all six chambers. Of these many never had an AD and lived their lives thinking themselves very clever. Others had the misfortune of learning first hand why the safety slogan was offered and had to suffer the oft-times serious consequences if their choice.

The point is, none of that yacking over the telegraph machine ;-) ever convinced a single one of them to do things any different than they had first envisioned for themselves. It was all just a lot of hot air. And so it is again today.

Last edited by lucznik; 08-20-2013 at 05:37 AM.
People Like This 
Old 08-20-2013, 05:35 AM   #295

Liked 41 Times on 29 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Axxe55

a person that doesn't take the carrying of a firearms seriously, shouldn't be carrying a firearm in the first place. safety with a firearm should be taken very seriously.
I would guess that I have been carrying firearms for as long (or longer) than most. I've never had an AD - knock on wood - and I never take anything seriously.
KG7IL Likes This 
Old 08-20-2013, 06:48 AM   #296

Liked 644 Times on 389 Posts
Likes Given: 12

Manta- As far as MIL carrying with an empty chamber, completely different than a civilian.

First, empty chambers only in green and amber zones. Red zones(high threat level) you will have a round in the chamber.

Second, large groups of uniformed men with heavy vehicles and tons of back up aren't at risk of being ambushed in a close quarters attack(Ft. Hood was an ambush, but all the victims were completely disarmed. Had these men been in an amber or red zone that piece if SH1T would have been put down like a rabid dog.)

Generally in the military if there is a possible threat, there will be a round in the chamber. On a secured base, there is almost no worry of an up close ambush attack so there is ample time to charge the weapon. As a civilian, you are under constant threat of an up close ambush attack and you don't spend any time in a secured area(area secured like a base, not your buddie's backyard with barbwire and a couple deer cameras).

For these reasons I always carry with one in the snout. My EDC is a G19. I've had training and am aware of how dangerous ANY weapon is, so I feel it is far superior than having to do another operation that I might not be able to complete causing me to lose my life.
People Like This 
Old 08-20-2013, 01:08 PM   #297

Liked 5 Times on 4 Posts

Manta - I'm fairly new here, but I will say this. It doesn't matter how you carry, just that you carry. If you aren't comfortable with one in the chamber, then don't. I would rather someone carry in a manner they feel confident. In time, you may change your mind. If not, so be it. The only person that needs to feel confident in your position is you.

I carry two different firearms - both have a round in the chamber. Only one has a safety. I've trained enough with both to feel confident.
KG7IL Likes This 
Old 08-20-2013, 03:20 PM   #298
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2292 Times on 1363 Posts
Likes Given: 1234

I guess the closest comparison, which I have learned from the mistakes made by others, is the seat belt in your vehicle.
All current vehicles are equipped with seat belts. We can 'reach out and touch' them any time we want.
How many people here would wait until they see the accident about to happen before they use them????????? (Common sense anyone) We all know 'dodo occurs' many times before we have time to react.
Now how many here will carry a gun without it being ready (empty chamber) to use if someone attacks you without warning??????? (Common sense anyone)
NUFF SAID!!!
KG7IL Likes This 
Old 08-20-2013, 03:44 PM   #299

Liked 164 Times on 106 Posts
Likes Given: 48

Simple. Ask yourself, does the BG come at you with an empty chamber?

Be realistic. Those of us that have had the misfortune of having to face a BG and depend on our handgun to save our life know that every fraction of a second counts and in most cases, the time it takes to pull back the slide and chamber a cartridge is longer than you have.
KG7IL Likes This 
Old 08-20-2013, 03:48 PM   #300

Liked 2220 Times on 1525 Posts
Likes Given: 820

Quote:
Originally Posted by KG7IL View Post
The last three days, while working on a slope, I was on and off the tractor, augering postholes, repairing and restringing 1000's of feet of barbed wire.

The whole time I never once thought that carrying one in the chamber of my 1911 was a risk.

There are approximately 3.1 million men and women who work on America's 2.3 million farms and ranches. According to Accident Facts published in 1990 by the National Safety Council, farm accidents and other work-related health problems claim as many as 1300 lives and cause 120,000 injuries a year, most of which are preventable
We all like to think we run a safe farm. But when we see a white car drive up everyone that runs a farm gets nervous. We do the best we can to be safe on a farm but the very nature of the work is dangerous. We all have been to a barbecue to help raise money for someone that has been injured on a farm. Everyone is capable of making a bad decision after 16 hours of hard work. People say work shorter days but the fact of the matter once the work starts you can't stop until the weather forces you to quit. Then you watch your profit wash away.