Why carry without bullet in the chamber? - Page 3
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Concealed Carrying & Personal Protection > Why carry without bullet in the chamber?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-01-2013, 07:56 AM   #21
RIP my good and faithful dog.
FTF_MODERATOR.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 7176 Times on 4318 Posts
Likes Given: 8753

Quote:
Originally Posted by therewolf View Post
What exciting lives you all must lead!

In 55 years, I've never had to mortally

defend myself with anything. I highly

doubt I'll have to kill anybody now.
In all my years, I've never had to put a fire out in my house but I still keep the fire extinguisher handy.
People Like This 
Old 07-01-2013, 08:10 AM   #22

Liked 2514 Times on 1433 Posts
Likes Given: 1962

Quote:
Originally Posted by winds-of-change View Post
In all my years, I've never had to put a fire out in my house but I still keep the fire extinguisher handy.
Do ya carry the fire extinguisher with you,

concealed, everywhere you go?

Ah, thank you very much, I'll be here till Thursday,

try the Veal...
Old 07-01-2013, 08:19 AM   #23
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1768 Times on 989 Posts
Likes Given: 1302

Quote:
Originally Posted by Graniteman View Post
Okay so I know a lot of my friends that carry, but don't load a bullet into the chamber. I don't understand the point of carrying if your not ready to fire at all times. I always keep a bullet in the chamber. Is this a common thing to not keep a bullet chambered when carrying?
Assuming that your local statutes, codes, and ordinances don't forbid carrying with a round in the chamber, consider the following: If you carry with an empty chamber and have a bad magazine you are reduced to beating your attacker to the ground. With one in the chamber and a bad magazine you at least have a single shot firearm. Which way do you want to go?

One thing that amazes me. Hardly anyone will hesitate to carry a modern revolver with a round under the hammer, yet they want to carry a pistol with an empty chamber. Which one is more difficult to get into a ready condition?
Old 07-01-2013, 08:23 AM   #24
Concealed Carry Instructor
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 974 Times on 639 Posts
Likes Given: 230

Very good points in this thread. I un like others, did get the grandma story. So true. In other words, run with the big dogs, or stay on the porch with the lapdogs.

I am of a mindset, brainishing a pistol is setting myself up for a felony charge. I don't open carry, I don't shoot shotguns off bedroom balcony windows, and I don't bluff at cards.

I have held a concealed handgun permit from over 30 years ago. In all those years, I have never threatened anyone with the sight of a gun on display. Not once.

I live the threats of others like a duck sheds water off its back. I defuse, redirect, and when necessary, I get in someone's face, but I do it without the gun that is ready in one second.

Today, homeless people came in my store, looking for who knows what? I gave them what they had coming, a bums rush out the door. I have no time for drunk, lazy, unwashed, mouchers that do not want to work. I see them enter my store, I meet them in the doorway, and tell them we are closing, forcing them to take a hike.

If I were ever attacked by one of these guys, or three, I do not need a gun, I would just need a bath after words.

To the direct question of one in the chamber, two groups do not, as I understand it. The Israeli army, and Barney Fife.

Barney did not get his job because he was good, or talented, or well trained, or well schooled, he got the job because he was Andy's cousin. See the original pilot episode.

Train with the goal of safely keeping one in the chamber, and walk through life not needing a gun, but being ready to use it if NEED be.

Old 07-01-2013, 08:24 AM   #25
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1768 Times on 989 Posts
Likes Given: 1302

Quote:

try the Veal...
Why would she carry her fire extinguisher everywhere to put out a fire in her house? I'm pretty sure she isn't carrying her house everywhere.
Old 07-01-2013, 08:48 AM   #26

Liked 181 Times on 134 Posts

I carry a DAO with no safety, chambered every day. On the occasion I'm feeling it's a 357 mag day I dam sure don't leave the top right hole empty lol. When someone understands and follows firearm safety, I see no reason to carry empty

Old 07-01-2013, 08:53 AM   #27

Liked 160 Times on 138 Posts
Likes Given: 15

Quote:
Originally Posted by therewolf
What exciting lives you all must lead!

In 55 years, I've never had to mortally

defend myself with anything. I highly

doubt I'll have to kill anybody now.

With anything, a pipe, crowbar, hammer,

nailclippers, or a tube of toothpaste; let

alone a gun.

I find a CCW license makes my life easier,

especially if I'm out of town. I don't have to make a

return a week later to pick up my new to me pistol for

my collection.
Hopefully you will never have to use your weapon, but I've learned to never say "never" I've learned that you want a guarantee in life, buy a toaster! Otherwise stay in guarded optimism over just about everything, especially over life threatening situations!!

Old 07-01-2013, 09:14 AM   #28

Liked 25 Times on 20 Posts

Have you seen the video on YouTube of the jewelry store owner who had a gun concealed..dudes came into his store I rob it. The owner didn't have one in the chamber. While he is racking the slide, they are shooting him. It won't be me

Old 07-01-2013, 09:25 AM   #29

Liked 160 Times on 138 Posts
Likes Given: 15

Quote:
Originally Posted by ALfiremedic1
Have you seen the video on YouTube of the jewelry store owner who had a gun concealed..dudes came into his store I rob it. The owner didn't have one in the chamber. While he is racking the slide, they are shooting him. It won't be me
Beautiful example!! Nothing more needs to be said-
Old 07-01-2013, 09:27 AM   #30
RIP my good and faithful dog.
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 7176 Times on 4318 Posts
Likes Given: 8753

Quote:

try the Veal...
Yes, absolutely, except I open carry the fire extinguisher. It's too big to conceal. I think it would definitely print. But I do carry it with the pin pulled and just ready to squeeze and sweep at the base of any fire I may come across.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doc3402 View Post
Why would she carry her fire extinguisher everywhere to put out a fire in her house? I'm pretty sure she isn't carrying her house everywhere.
He was just kidding me.
People Like This