Why carry without bullet in the chamber? - Page 29
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Concealed Carrying & Personal Protection > Why carry without bullet in the chamber?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-17-2013, 09:36 PM   #281
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Liked 6576 Times on 3639 Posts
Likes Given: 27929

Quote:
Originally Posted by hawkguy View Post
good points and well said. i'm not sure I completely agree on all counts, but all of your points are well worth my consideration.

you're a sharp guy, and obviously a responsible gun owner. and I appreciate your input.

sometimes I overthink things.....but I've always thought that was way better than UNDER thinking things....
Thank you.
Old 08-17-2013, 09:36 PM   #282
The Apocalypse Is Coming.....
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 21996 Times on 12402 Posts
Likes Given: 53672

Quote:
good points and well said. i'm not sure I completely agree on all counts, but all of your points are well worth my consideration.

you're a sharp guy, and obviously a responsible gun owner. and I appreciate your input.

sometimes I overthink things.....but I've always thought that was way better than UNDER thinking things....
Hawk there are times when you can overthink something, but when it comes to firearms and there safe use, i think that error on the side of caution is prudent. none of us will fault you for looking at all viewpoints and thinking of what's best for you.
Old 08-17-2013, 09:48 PM   #283
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 552 Times on 365 Posts
Likes Given: 173

Quote:
Hawk there are times when you can overthink something, but when it comes to firearms and there safe use, i think that error on the side of caution is prudent. none of us will fault you for looking at all viewpoints and thinking of what's best for you.
I agree but most posts do criticise people that have a different view than them. Telling people the problem is their lack of training confidence etc. At the end of the day its the individual's decision on what way they carry their firearm they are the ones that will have to face the consequences of their decision good or bad.

Last edited by manta; 08-17-2013 at 11:53 PM.

Old 08-17-2013, 11:43 PM   #284
No Longer a NY Resident.
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1753 Times on 1081 Posts
Likes Given: 9667

To start, There are a lot of good posts, and a lot of food for thought here. IOW, great replies folks.

I always carry with one in the chamber. My grandfather, a 22 year NY State trooper, told me about 15 years ago when I first started carrying:

"A person with bad intentions is not going to give you the chance to chamber that first round. Carry your pistol in condition 1, or don't bother carrying."

I took what he said to heart, and ever since, I always have a round chambered. I do not endorse to to everybody I know who carries. Their gun, their choice. Comfort with carrying and training levels are what each person must evaluate on their own. I say run with what you are comfortable with.

Is it better to do the right thing for the wrong reason, or to do the wrong thing for the right reason? If you do the wrong thing for the right reason, is it still the wrong thing?

Si vis pacem para bellum.

There are two ways of doing something. Right and again.

People Like This 
Old 08-18-2013, 12:44 AM   #285

Liked 573 Times on 324 Posts
Likes Given: 722

Quote:
Originally Posted by kfox75
...My grandfather, a 22 year NY State trooper, told me about 15 years ago when I first started carrying:
"A person with bad intentions is not going to give you the chance to chamber that first round. Carry your pistol in condition 1, or don't bother carrying."
This is related to what I mentioned about where you go, live and situations you allow yourself to get into. NY and other highly populated cities might change peoples minds. Age and physical abilities may also play a factor.

Sidenote:
kfox75 - in case you didnt get the link from the PM here it is.
"http://www.lightinthebox.com/Waterfall-Bathtub-Faucet--0698--Y-8014-_p77679.html"

~ Holsters ~

Never forget these important words:
We the People...
America, take back your country!

Old 08-18-2013, 12:47 AM   #286

Liked 3145 Times on 1874 Posts
Likes Given: 2195

Quote:
Originally Posted by Axxe55 View Post
and HERE IS WHY firearms talk is my go to forum for all questions I have related to firearms. and it will stay my go to forum as long as things remain the same.

things may get a bit heated here from time to time, but the vast majority of the time its knowledgeable folk giving good info to all freely. and the majority of the posters are willing to agree to disagree no matter how passionate they may be about a given subject.

nice to interact on a board populated by people who act like respectful adults. (well, maybe not in the man cave....but we get a pass there...).

thanks to all for your input.
Old 08-18-2013, 01:42 AM   #287

Liked 268 Times on 196 Posts
Likes Given: 54

Quote:
carrying a loaded gun, without a doubt...if anything, i feel i would find myself becoming VERY passive, and possibly much more aware of space
That's very true and something I noticed long before I started to carry. In Illinois, in every gun shop I ever visited were the most helpful, calm nicest people you would want to deal with....and they all carried. Being aware of the power you have on your hip may indeed force you to develop a better awareness of what's going on around you, and also an increased appreciation for things in general.

Never waste time deciding between two guns....buy both of them.

People Like This 
Old 08-18-2013, 02:38 AM   #288
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2075 Times on 1227 Posts
Likes Given: 1011

It gives you the self confidence which reduces the probability overreaction!

An armed society is not always a polite society, but it is a free and safe society!
Self Defense is an absolute and natural right!
Keep your head down and your powder dry!

Old 08-18-2013, 02:42 AM   #289
No Longer a NY Resident.
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1753 Times on 1081 Posts
Likes Given: 9667

Quote:
Originally Posted by wittmeba View Post
This is related to what I mentioned about where you go, live and situations you allow yourself to get into. NY and other highly populated cities might change peoples minds. Age and physical abilities may also play a factor.

Sidenote:
kfox75 - in case you didnt get the link from the PM here it is.
"http://www.lightinthebox.com/Waterfall-Bathtub-Faucet--0698--Y-8014-_p77679.html"
Worked on the first PM for me. Thanks for sharing. That is one cool faucet. Showing the wife the cabin now.

Is it better to do the right thing for the wrong reason, or to do the wrong thing for the right reason? If you do the wrong thing for the right reason, is it still the wrong thing?

Si vis pacem para bellum.

There are two ways of doing something. Right and again.

Old 08-20-2013, 01:50 AM   #290

Liked 38 Times on 26 Posts

Y'all take yourselves way too seriously...