Why carry without bullet in the chamber? - Page 28
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Concealed Carrying & Personal Protection > Why carry without bullet in the chamber?

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-17-2013, 01:01 AM   #271
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Pasco Cty.FL
Posts: 6,604
Liked 2512 Times on 1433 Posts
Likes Given: 1956

Default

Quote:"According to the CDC, falling out of bed accounts for 1.8 million

emergency room visits, and over 400K hospital admissions every year."


Well, I sleep on the floor. With a round in the tube.

But there's times when I go with the odds, and resist

the risk of an ND, since It's what I feel works for me.

So I may be killed, because I may get jumped in my

home with an empty barrel, but I won't fall out of bed.

So, neener, neener, boo-boo!

__________________
therewolf is offline  
kfox75 Likes This 
Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2013, 01:24 PM   #272
Mommy, who lights the sun?
FTF_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Balota's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Glenpool, Oklahoma
Posts: 2,983
Liked 1974 Times on 1198 Posts
Likes Given: 2150

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by flybuddy View Post

Makes you wonder..Do some folks take risks they normally wouldn't take because they are carrying?
I find that I take a lot less risks than I used to since I started carrying. Biggest change has been behind the wheel. Situation awareness affected me almost immediately.
__________________

Balota
"A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed." 2nd Amendment to the Constitution of the United States
Practice does NOT make perfect. Practice makes permanent. Only perfect practice makes perfect.

Check out 4th FTF Shoot & Hoot.http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f138/4th-ftf-shotgun-shoot-hoot-vanzant-mo-oct-4-5-2014-a-105142/

Balota is offline  
3
People Like This 
Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2013, 01:32 PM   #273
The Apocalypse Is Coming.....
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Posts: 28,735
Liked 21592 Times on 12249 Posts
Likes Given: 53672

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by flybuddy View Post
Makes you wonder..Do some folks take risks they normally wouldn't take because they are carrying?
this is strictly an opinion, nothing based on facts or actual evidence, but just an observation of people in general. i would have to say yes, that there is probably some that do. simply because of human nature. they think carrying makes them cool or bulletproof or maybe even invinciable. they might be more inclined to put themselves at risk because they feel the gun provides a shield or that they can get themselves our of a bad situation because they are carrying.

another member once said, don't go places armed, that you would go unarmed. seems very simple, but IMO makes perfect sense. going to, or being in places armed that a perosn wouldn't normally go unarmed, to me is asking for, or looking for trouble. if not careful it might find you.
__________________
Axxe55 is offline  
2
People Like This 
Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2013, 02:21 PM   #274
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
hawkguy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: austin,tx
Posts: 4,143
Liked 2910 Times on 1732 Posts
Likes Given: 1951

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by John_Deer View Post
Yes, it's true that soldiers carry a weapon without a round in the chamber
wow...that is interesting and i did not know that. but for safety purposes, i am not really surprised.

yet some of are SO critical of those on this board that carry or are just considering carrying without a round in the chamber...

interesting all around....

maybe the thread should end on THIS post!
__________________
hawkguy is online now  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2013, 02:31 PM   #275
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
hawkguy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: austin,tx
Posts: 4,143
Liked 2910 Times on 1732 Posts
Likes Given: 1951

Default

Quote:
texaswoodworker;1337638]
To me, carrying a gun with an empty chamber says one of two things.

1) You are afraid to carry a loaded gun because you don't want to shoot yourself. Either you don't trust the gun, or you don't trust yourself.
maybe. but i tend to think that all the guys who have plugged themselves in the leg on accident REALLY trusted their gun and themselves up to the point they were bleeding profusely. in the cases of MOST of the situations of fire arm accidents....i'm sure the person felt VERY confident in their abilities to handle a gun....whether merited or not....

Quote:
2) You are not prepared to possibly take a life to preserve yours. Which means you shouldn't be carrying in the first place. Hesitation (NOT to be confused with critical thinking/judgment) can get you killed.
i disagree, because one simply can't predict this. NOBODY really knows how they react in this situation unless they have ACTUALLY been in this situation. training and confidence is important, it also possibly flies out the window in a true life and death situation. carrying or not carrying in a chamber could not possibly indicate the individuals ability to be ready for such a situation. i think the individual's training and life experience is FAR more important than how they chose to carry.
__________________
hawkguy is online now  
texaswoodworker Likes This 
Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2013, 02:42 PM   #276
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
hawkguy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: austin,tx
Posts: 4,143
Liked 2910 Times on 1732 Posts
Likes Given: 1951

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Axxe55 View Post
this is strictly an opinion, nothing based on facts or actual evidence, but just an observation of people in general. i would have to say yes, that there is probably some that do. simply because of human nature. they think carrying makes them cool or bulletproof or maybe even invinciable. they might be more inclined to put themselves at risk because they feel the gun provides a shield or that they can get themselves our of a bad situation because they are carrying.

another member once said, don't go places armed, that you would go unarmed. seems very simple, but IMO makes perfect sense. going to, or being in places armed that a perosn wouldn't normally go unarmed, to me is asking for, or looking for trouble. if not careful it might find you.
this is important. i had a moron road rage guy pull next to me and shout obscenities at me and my family recently. i reacted back a bit out of pride and my wife (smartest one in family) calmed me from reacting more as my anger began to rise.....

then i realized....IF i get my CHL...i should NEVER react to stuff like that...EVER. i must be calm, and the adult in every situation if i am carrying a loaded gun.

if a situation you are in EVER resembles a fight in any way, you are in big trouble imo.

carrying a loaded gun, without a doubt...would never make me feel like a tough guy...if anything, i feel i would find myself becoming VERY passive, and possibly much more aware of space....not a feeling i would want to lose in getting too comfortable with carrying.

and i DON'T see myself carrying all day everyday everywhere...i just don't. but it would sure be nice to know i can when i feel i need to. there are some times i travel, and places i go that i would like to be able to.

BTW: my apologies if my posting has extended a "worn out" subject. this info is very interesting and important to me. even in my HD gun i thought it through a million and one ways until i came to the conclusion of the most safe and effective gun and method for handling it. i take gun safety and effectiveness of possible use VERY seriously in my life. i truly try to achieve a good balance of THE MOST SAFE and the MOST EFFECTIVE i can be with firearms. hopefully, we all agree this is a good thing. thanks for the patience.
__________________

Last edited by hawkguy; 08-17-2013 at 02:48 PM.
hawkguy is online now  
2
People Like This 
Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2013, 02:59 PM   #277
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
wittmeba's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: The state for Lovers
Posts: 1,097
Liked 573 Times on 324 Posts
Likes Given: 722

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by texaswoodworker
1) You are afraid to carry a loaded gun because you don't want to shoot yourself. Either you don't trust the gun, or you don't trust yourself.

2) You are not prepared to possibly take a life to preserve yours. Which means you shouldn't be carrying in the first place. Hesitation (NOT to be confused with critical thinking/judgment) can get you killed.
I think these are 2 great comments.

I dont carry and dont think I ever will - mainly for the 2nd reason above. Not that I dont value my life, my wife and family but we dont go places where I see issues where carrying is going to become a need. Besides, my wife would have a fit if I told her that when we go to the Mall or a store Im going to pack my S&W .40.


I have lived in 5 different places thru my life and there are places I might feel differently. Raised in SFV - if I still lived there I would carry. Lived in Carrollton, Tx (20 miles n of Dallas). I might carry there not so much because of Carrollton but times we would go within 3-5 miles of downtown Dallas or that area. As hawkguy mentions "road rage" is quite high in Dallas and the immediate area. Cars going 65-70 no more than 10 feet apart causes tension. I dont care who you are. Same with Illinois - lived in Bloomington 130 mi s of Chicago. Chicago scares me. I was never comfortable there even though we had a family vacation and spend about 5 days in the area.


And I think there is another factor I dont think Ive seen or read many comments. Many discuss the size of the attacker being a factor, their disposition if you make demands of them, but what about your own personal ability to physically (non-weapon of any type) to protect yourself or family? Im big but not a tough guy. Im 65, 2 bad knees, bad back and out of shape. Just not one to enter a physical confrontation.

But I will protect my family and my home!
__________________
NRA Member - Over 5,000,000 strong!
Criminals don't discriminate. They will attack anywhere!

~ Holsters ~

Never forget these important words:
We the People...
America, take back your country!

Last edited by wittmeba; 08-17-2013 at 03:06 PM.
wittmeba is offline  
2
People Like This 
Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2013, 03:31 PM   #278
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Reno,Texas
Posts: 10,211
Liked 6563 Times on 3635 Posts
Likes Given: 27929

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by hawkguy View Post
maybe. but i tend to think that all the guys who have plugged themselves in the leg on accident REALLY trusted their gun and themselves up to the point they were bleeding profusely. in the cases of MOST of the situations of fire arm accidents....i'm sure the person felt VERY confident in their abilities to handle a gun....whether merited or not....
There is a difference between trusting your gun and yourself, and being cocky/doing something stupid. Being cocky or doing something stupid can get someone killed (including yourself).

Quote:
i disagree, because one simply can't predict this. NOBODY really knows how they react in this situation unless they have ACTUALLY been in this situation. training and confidence is important, it also possibly flies out the window in a true life and death situation. carrying or not carrying in a chamber could not possibly indicate the individuals ability to be ready for such a situation. i think the individual's training and life experience is FAR more important than how they chose to carry.
Carrying a gun with an empty chamber won't prove that someone is not ready for that kind of responsibility, but IMO, it can be a sign of it.

If your not afraid to carry a loaded gun, then why not do it? This seems like a likely possibility. It makes reacting quickly much harder.

Your right, no one will know exactly what they will do in that kind of situation until they are in it. That doesn't mean that they should go into it unprepared. (both mentally, and physically)

Carrying a gun comes with a very great responsibility. You are taking your life into your own hands, and as such you must be prepared to the best of you ability for that kind of situation. This means coming to terms with the possibility that you MAY have to take a life to save yours.

That is not something most of us like to think about, and I doubt anyone here wants to be forced to take a life, but it is something that some of us may be forced to do some day.
__________________

Last edited by texaswoodworker; 08-17-2013 at 03:38 PM.
texaswoodworker is offline  
3
People Like This 
Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2013, 03:37 PM   #279
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Reno,Texas
Posts: 10,211
Liked 6563 Times on 3635 Posts
Likes Given: 27929

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by wittmeba View Post
I think these are 2 great comments.

I dont carry and dont think I ever will - mainly for the 2nd reason above. Not that I dont value my life, my wife and family but we dont go places where I see issues where carrying is going to become a need. Besides, my wife would have a fit if I told her that when we go to the Mall or a store Im going to pack my S&W .40.


I have lived in 5 different places thru my life and there are places I might feel differently. Raised in SFV - if I still lived there I would carry. Lived in Carrollton, Tx (20 miles n of Dallas). I might carry there not so much because of Carrollton but times we would go within 3-5 miles of downtown Dallas or that area. As hawkguy mentions "road rage" is quite high in Dallas and the immediate area. Cars going 65-70 no more than 10 feet apart causes tension. I dont care who you are. Same with Illinois - lived in Bloomington 130 mi s of Chicago. Chicago scares me. I was never comfortable there even though we had a family vacation and spend about 5 days in the area.


And I think there is another factor I dont think Ive seen or read many comments. Many discuss the size of the attacker being a factor, their disposition if you make demands of them, but what about your own personal ability to physically (non-weapon of any type) to protect yourself or family? Im big but not a tough guy. Im 65, 2 bad knees, bad back and out of shape. Just not one to enter a physical confrontation.

But I will protect my family and my home!
The thing is, you won't ever be able to predict when you need a gun to defend yourself. It could happen in even the safest neighborhoods in America.

But I do agree that some areas are MUCH safer then others. If I lived in the country, I'd be much less likely to carry than if I lived in Chicago.

Avoiding the dangerous areas is a great idea.
__________________
texaswoodworker is offline  
Axxe55 Likes This 
Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2013, 08:27 PM   #280
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
hawkguy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: austin,tx
Posts: 4,143
Liked 2910 Times on 1732 Posts
Likes Given: 1951

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by texaswoodworker View Post
There is a difference between trusting your gun and yourself, and being cocky/doing something stupid. Being cocky or doing something stupid can get someone killed (including yourself).



Carrying a gun with an empty chamber won't prove that someone is not ready for that kind of responsibility, but IMO, it can be a sign of it.

If your not afraid to carry a loaded gun, then why not do it? This seems like a likely possibility. It makes reacting quickly much harder.

Your right, no one will know exactly what they will do in that kind of situation until they are in it. That doesn't mean that they should go into it unprepared. (both mentally, and physically)

Carrying a gun comes with a very great responsibility. You are taking your life into your own hands, and as such you must be prepared to the best of you ability for that kind of situation. This means coming to terms with the possibility that you MAY have to take a life to save yours.

That is not something most of us like to think about, and I doubt anyone here wants to be forced to take a life, but it is something that some of us may be forced to do some day.
good points and well said. i'm not sure I completely agree on all counts, but all of your points are well worth my consideration.

you're a sharp guy, and obviously a responsible gun owner. and I appreciate your input.

sometimes I overthink things.....but I've always thought that was way better than UNDER thinking things....
__________________
hawkguy is online now  
3
People Like This 
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Firearms Forum Replies Last Post
Real Bullet 50 Cal. and .308 Cal. Bullet Bottle Openers realbullet Sponsor Display 6 03-06-2013 02:32 PM
carry with round in the chamber? potentialglock Concealed Carrying & Personal Protection 126 12-01-2012 12:24 AM
Best bullet for Woods Carry Semi Auto- HP or Hardcast Dana General Handgun Discussion 2 07-09-2012 02:49 PM
ANSI Chamber vs CIP Chamber danf_fl .22 Rifle/Rimfire Discussion 1 01-03-2012 03:11 PM
Carry with a round in the chamber? Thelt Training & Safety 39 02-19-2010 12:45 AM