Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Concealed Carrying & Personal Protection > Why carry without bullet in the chamber?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-16-2013, 11:03 PM   #261
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Liked 6542 Times on 3633 Posts
Likes Given: 27929

"Why carry without bullet in the chamber?"

Because the bad guy will OBVIOUSLY wait for you to rack the slide.

Old 08-16-2013, 11:20 PM   #262
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 257 Times on 183 Posts
Likes Given: 66

Quote:
If they are in an area where they might encounter someone who wants to kill them they have a round in the chamber
Yes that makes sense in a war zone and on patrol when they are back on base they will be carrying loaded but no round in the chamber, for one simple reason it cuts down on N/DS. I assume that America is not a war zone. Lets get real the changes of someone ever needing to use their firearm in their lifetime is very low the chance of needing a second to put the round in the chamber making any difference lower again. Its a risk getting out of bed in the morning I am surprised some on this forum do in case they might fall and injure themselves. PS Don't worry it might never happen.

Quote:
According to the Center for Disease Control, falling out of bed accounts for 1.8 million emergency room visits and over 400 thousand hospital admissions each year. The very young and the very old are most at risk, and with decreased stability as we age, people over the age of 65 tend to fare the worst when falling
Quote:
Each year, 18,000 Americans die from injuries at home. Here are the leading causes of death, as well as simple, cost-effective ways to make your household a safer place
Quote:
Motor vehicle crashes in the United States result in more than 40,000 deaths per year,” says the Institute in the journal Injury Prevention. “That is, on each of the 6,209 consecutive days included in this study, an equivalent of a plane load or more of people died on the roads

You are much more likely to be killed in other ways than someone shooting you. If you want to avoid dying taking a advanced driving course would be more useful than firearms training and having a round in the chamber.

Last edited by manta; 08-16-2013 at 11:30 PM.
therewolf Likes This 
Old 08-16-2013, 11:35 PM   #263
War and Peace
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 16926 Times on 9806 Posts
Likes Given: 44112

Quote:
Originally Posted by manta View Post
Yes that makes sense in a war zone and on patrol when they are back on base they will be carrying loaded but no round in the chamber, for one simple reason it cuts down on N/DS. I assume that America is not a war zone. Lets get real the changes of someone ever needing to use their firearm in their lifetime is very low the chance of needing a second to put the round in the chamber making any difference lower again. Its a risk getting out of bed in the morning I am surprised some on this forum do in case they might fall and injure themselves. PS Don't worry it might never happen.

You are much more likely to be killed in other ways than someone shooting you. If you want to avoid dying taking a advanced driving course would be more useful than firearms training and having a round in the chamber.
so less firearms training is your answer? wow, just wow! i can't see how that is really a responsible statement to make. less firearms training. yep, that will make sure that people are better able to operate their firearms safely.

and the comparison to the military again? what soldiers have to do has nothing to do with what civilians do. soldiers are told when and how they carry by superior officers and those higher up the chain of command. there is not chain of command for civilians.
Old 08-16-2013, 11:53 PM   #264

Quote:
so less firearms training is your answer? wow, just wow! i can't see how that is really a responsible statement to make. less firearms training. yep, that will make sure that people are better able to operate their firearms safely.
No train all you want. The point is there are other things that are a lot more likely to kill you than someone shooting you. Reading some posts on this forum would have you thinking that they are dodging bullets every time they leave the house. PS If you read my post I don't see where I said less firearms training but if you want to misrepresent what I posted that's up to you.

Quote:
soldiers are told when and how they carry by superior officers and those higher up the chain of command.
And why do you think that they don't want them carrying with a round in the chamber its not rocket science. Do you think that all civilians are trained to a high standard. I know plenty that I wouldn't trust with a water pistol never mind a firearm with a round in the chamber. Yet most on this forum consistently post that the only way to carry is with a round in the chamber without knowing the training or lack of training people have. To me that's irresponsible.

Last edited by manta; 08-17-2013 at 12:04 AM.

Old 08-17-2013, 12:00 AM   #265
War and Peace
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Quote:

Quote:
No train all you want. The point is there are other things that are a lot more likely to kill you than someone shooting you. Reading some posts on this forum would have you thinking that they are dodging bullets every time they leave the house. PS If you read my post I don't see where I said less firearms training but if you want to misrepresent what I posted that's up to you.
maybe, maybe not. simply put, you cannot avoid dying! when your number is called, it won't matter one iota, where you are, what you are doing, it will happen.

but you did imply that an advanced driving course would be more useful than firearms training or a round in the chamber. those are your words, correct? so i don't see how i misrepresented your own words, but simply what i gathered by that statement.
Old 08-17-2013, 12:06 AM   #266
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1015 Times on 703 Posts
Likes Given: 346

Quote:
You need to take a course to know you should give yourself adequate room to stop your car and drive at a safe speed? I understand why you don't carry with a round in the chamber now.

Last edited by John_Deer; 08-17-2013 at 12:30 AM.
People Like This 
Old 08-17-2013, 12:14 AM   #267

Quote:
I understand why you don't carry with a round in the chamber now
I never said I didn't or wouldn't carry with a round in the chamber. Its posts saying that its the only way to carry and comments that don't make any sense and are just wrong. Carrying without a round in the chamber you might as well be carrying a stick for example something they obviously heard or read on the net that I disagree with.

Last edited by manta; 08-17-2013 at 12:20 AM.

Old 08-17-2013, 12:22 AM   #268
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Liked 6542 Times on 3633 Posts
Likes Given: 27929

Quote:

You will NEVER know when you will end up in a situation where you have to draw your gun to stop a threat. There is NO way to predict such a situation, but the fact is, it can happen, it has happened (even to a few members on this forum), and it WILL happen again.

Why take that chance?

To me, carrying a gun with an empty chamber says one of two things.

1) You are afraid to carry a loaded gun because you don't want to shoot yourself. Either you don't trust the gun, or you don't trust yourself.

2) You are not prepared to possibly take a life to preserve yours. Which means you shouldn't be carrying in the first place. Hesitation (NOT to be confused with critical thinking/judgment) can get you killed.

For me, I value my life enough to NOT take an unnecessary chance (and carrying a gun with in empty chamber IS taking a chance). If I carry, it will be with a loaded gun.
Old 08-17-2013, 12:28 AM   #269
War and Peace
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Quote:
Originally Posted by texaswoodworker View Post
You will NEVER know when you will end up in a situation where you have to draw your gun to stop a threat. There is NO way to predict such a situation, but the fact is, it can happen, it has happened (even to a few members on this forum), and it WILL happen again.

Why take that chance?

To me, carrying a gun with an empty chamber says one of two things.

1) You are afraid to carry a loaded gun because you don't want to shoot yourself. Either you don't trust the gun, or you don't trust yourself.

2) You are not prepared to possibly take a life to preserve yours. Which means you shouldn't be carrying in the first place. Hesitation (NOT to be confused with critical thinking/judgment) can get you killed.

For me, I value my life enough to NOT take an unnecessary chance (and carrying a gun with in empty chamber IS taking a chance). If I carry, it will be with a loaded gun.
very well said. if we could predict when we needed to carry chambered, then it would seem more prudent to just avoid the situation entirely in the first place.

that's the whole thing that some fail to realize or understand, you can't predict or know when to expect trouble or a bad situation in the first place.

seriously, if i could predict such things, i'd be sitting in Las Vegas right now predicting which poker hand was the one to bet everything on, instead of sitting here posting on a forum!
Old 08-17-2013, 01:01 AM   #270

Liked 51 Times on 34 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Axxe55 View Post
very well said. if we could predict when we needed to carry chambered, then it would seem more prudent to just avoid the situation entirely in the first place.

that's the whole thing that some fail to realize or understand, you can't predict or know when to expect trouble or a bad situation in the first place.

seriously, if i could predict such things, i'd be sitting in Las Vegas right now predicting which poker hand was the one to bet everything on, instead of sitting here posting on a forum!
Makes you wonder..Do some folks take risks they normally wouldn't take because they are carrying?