Why carry without bullet in the chamber? - Page 25
You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of FirearmsTalk.com!    
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Concealed Carrying & Personal Protection >

Why carry without bullet in the chamber?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-15-2013, 11:30 PM   #241
I used to play keyboards, but now ...
FTF_MODERATOR.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 3194 Times on 1931 Posts
Likes Given: 3074

Modern guns in good working order don't go off just because they're dropped.

You've had an experience that affects your decision. If you feel more comfortable with an empty chamber then that's how you should carry. At least you are carrying. You feel safer in general with the empty chamber. You are willing to take the chance that you will avoid a situation where you lack the time to rack the slide.

We prefer to be prepared for that situation and are willing to take the chance that we will not have an ND due to the loaded chamber. We are each making risk decisions. We just disagree on the decision.
"A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed." 2nd Amendment to the Constitution of the United States
Practice does NOT make perfect. Practice makes permanent. Only perfect practice makes perfect.
People Like This 
Old 08-15-2013, 11:34 PM   #242

Liked 3248 Times on 1941 Posts
Likes Given: 2347

Quote:
Originally Posted by Balota View Post
Modern guns in good working order don't go off just because they're dropped.

You've had an experience that affects your decision. If you feel more comfortable with an empty chamber then that's how you should carry. At least you are carrying. You feel safer in general with the empty chamber. You are willing to take the chance that you will avoid a situation where you lack the time to rack the slide.

We prefer to be prepared for that situation and are willing to take the chance that we will not have an ND due to the loaded chamber. We are each making risk decisions. We just disagree on the decision.
thank you for such a respectful response! and again...and i understand your position...but when you see the bullet hole through the door!

honestly, i'm a bit undecided. i am heavily considering a CHL...i want my family and myself to be as safe as possible with a loaded gun interacting in our lives....if the safest situation may cause me a second delay, it may be a trade that is worth it...then again, it may not...i can see both sides is all i'm saying.
Balota Likes This 
Old 08-15-2013, 11:46 PM   #243
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 3729 Times on 2286 Posts
Likes Given: 1224

Quote:
Originally Posted by hawkguy

thank you for such a respectful response! and again...and i understand your position...but when you see the bullet hole through the door!

honestly, i'm a bit undecided. i am heavily considering a CHL...i want my family and myself to be as safe as possible with a loaded gun interacting in our lives....if the safest situation may cause me a second delay, it may be a trade that is worth it...then again, it may not...i can see both sides is all i'm saying.
And there's nothing wrong with that.

I may joke around a lot, but i don't begrudge people who carry with an empty chamber. I just hope you won't be protecting me.

Carry how you're comfortable, with whatever firearm you're comfortable with. As long as you're properly respectful with the gun, and don't do stupid stuff, carrying on an empty chamber is still a lot better than not carrying, in my book. Again, it comes down to how responsible you are though. ("you" in general)
Old 08-16-2013, 12:21 AM   #244
The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

Liked 22308 Times on 12476 Posts
Likes Given: 53672

Quote:
Originally Posted by hawkguy View Post

i try to simply point out the reasons i see carrying unchambered to be not the wise choice. and truly hope that a person doesn't find out that the difference of the time to chamber could be a life threatening one.
People Like This 
Old 08-16-2013, 12:31 AM   #245

Quote:
Originally Posted by Axxe55 View Post
i try to simply point out the reasons i see carrying unchambered to be not the wise choice. and truly hope that a person doesn't find out that the difference of the time to chamber could be a life threatening one.
good point, nothing wrong with that at all. i'm a little on the fence in regards chambered or unchambered...

i am a safety first guy when it comes to my loved ones, always will be...

Old 08-16-2013, 12:48 AM   #246
The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

Liked 22308 Times on 12476 Posts
Likes Given: 53672

Quote:
good point, nothing wrong with that at all. i'm a little on the fence in regards chambered or unchambered...

i am a safety first guy when it comes to my loved ones, always will be...
i understand that. perfectly good point to consider.

i will add this for you to think about. guns ar not unsafe or safe, but people are. i also believe that 99.9% of all accidents are avoidable.
People Like This 
Old 08-16-2013, 01:16 AM   #247

Quote:
Originally Posted by Axxe55 View Post
i understand that. perfectly good point to consider.

i will add this for you to think about. guns ar not unsafe or safe, but people are. i also believe that 99.9% of all accidents are avoidable.
point taken. but some things operated by people are fundamentally more dangerous than others. i'm also concerned about the oven, power tools, sharp objects.....etc etc.....

i'm a typical dad i guess.....

as i said before...i sometimes think familiarity and confidence with a given dangerous object can be almost as dangerous as ignorance of its use. you can never lose the sight of the fact that the item has the potential to be very dangerous.

john Q goes to work with power tools every day for twenty years with no problems...on his twenty first year his saws some fingers off....how could this happen? he got TOO comfortable!
People Like This 
Old 08-16-2013, 12:40 PM   #248

Liked 2611 Times on 1484 Posts
Likes Given: 2004

Quote:
you can never lose the sight of the fact that the item has the potential to be very dangerous.

john Q goes to work with power tools every day for twenty years with no problems...on his twenty first year his saws some fingers off....how could this happen? he got TOO comfortable!
I was "John Q". You do get familiar to the point you feel safe.

Fortunately I never lost any fingers, but with power tools

experience as a background, in circumstances of lower threat

levels, I prefer to leave all the extra guns unloaded, and have an

empty tube.

Once I leave the house, especially at night, that's a different

story.

Old 08-16-2013, 05:29 PM   #249

Liked 275 Times on 197 Posts
Likes Given: 55

Quote:
Originally Posted by JW357 View Post
Right, so carry with two empty chambers. One where the hammer rests, and the next one in the cycle. That way, the first trigger pull doesn't do anything. But then you have that second trigger pull which could kill someone. Better go three empty chambers, just to be safe. Wait, what about that next trigger pull... Well clearly we should all just carry an empty gun with no rounds. We'd all be safer that way. *whew* glad I figured that one out. You're welcome, all.
Why not just put one in the cylinder, when the SHTF spin the cylinder, point the gun at the bad guy and say "feel lucky punk.......well do ya'?"

Old 08-16-2013, 05:45 PM   #250
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 3729 Times on 2286 Posts
Likes Given: 1224

Quote:
Originally Posted by Missouribound

Why not just put one in the cylinder, when the SHTF spin the cylinder, point the gun at the bad guy and say "feel lucky punk.......well do ya'?"
Of course I read that part in Clint Eastwood's voice, in my mind.