Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Concealed Carrying & Personal Protection > Why carry without bullet in the chamber?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-13-2013, 07:37 PM   #221
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 255 Times on 181 Posts
Likes Given: 66

Quote:
If you are going to carry unchambered you may as well not carry
That's just rubbish and hardly commenting on. But I will so armies police and others that carry a firearm unchambered that will take a few seconds to use may as well not be carrying is a ridiculous statement. Is there no point in the Israeli army carrying handguns because they carry in con three. I like to listen to different views some views are that carry with a round in the chamber some have different views but statements like you might aswell not carry if you haven't a round in the chamber just tells me the person doesn't know what they are talking about.

Quote:
well i guess i have the same arrogant attitude, because it pretty much mirrors my opinions on carrying unchambered as well. lack of proper training, lack of confidence in themselves or their chosen pistol. either way, carrying an unchambered pistol, is IMO about the same as not carrying.
How is it the same as not carrying. ? I will include that statement with the one at the top and give the same reply. And it is arrogant to say its your way or no way.

PS The instructor probably had a similar attitude.

Quote:
LANCASTER, Ohio (AP) - Police say an instructor at a central Ohio gun safety class has accidentally shot a student.

The Columbus Dispatch (http://bit.ly/19ZLcIt) reports 73-year-old Terry J. Dunlap Sr. was demonstrating a handgun at a training facility on Saturday when he fired a bullet that ricocheted off a desk and into the right arm of 26-year-old Michael Piemonte.

The student says the .38-caliber bullet hit him between his elbow and armpit. He says many of the students in the class were nurses who helped stabilize him before he was transported to a Columbus hospital

Last edited by manta; 08-13-2013 at 08:23 PM.

Old 08-13-2013, 09:24 PM   #222

Liked 162 Times on 104 Posts
Likes Given: 48

Quote:
Originally Posted by manta
That's just rubbish and hardly commenting on. But I will so armies police and others that carry a firearm unchambered that will take a few seconds to use may as well not be carrying is a ridiculous statement. Is there no point in the Israeli army carrying handguns because they carry in con three. I like to listen to different views some views are that carry with a round in the chamber some have different views but statements like you might aswell not carry if you haven't a round in the chamber just tells me the person doesn't know what they are talking about.

How is it the same as not carrying. ? I will include that statement with the one at the top and give the same reply. And it is arrogant to say its your way or no way.

Accidents can happen wether the firearm is carried with one in the chamber or with an empty chamber. I've seen numerous videos of negligent discharged where the chamber was empty and the operator racked the slide thinking the magazine was empty and then pulled the trigger. Boom.

I know I always carry with one in the chamber and I prefer to have those seconds that it would take to pull back the slide in my favor. They might make the difference between life and death.

To each his own.
Old 08-13-2013, 09:53 PM   #223
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 16828 Times on 9752 Posts
Likes Given: 43889

Quote:
Originally Posted by manta View Post

military is different than police or civilian use of firearms. to compare them is simply the wrong comparison, because many times when the military carries unchambered, it's because of orders. how many LEO's do you think carry unchambered? none that i know of. maybe in your country LEO's might carry unchambered, but here in the US, i don't think that happens.

to carry unchambered is simply, very similiar to not carrying in the first place. which while you are trying to get a round chambered, could give the BG an opportunity to remove your pistol from you, and in turn use it on you.

do you believe a BG is going to give you warning of an attack and allow you to chamber a round?

BTW i am very arrogant and conceited as well and have never denied such. if a person wants to carry unchambered and feels they are going to be lucky or good enough to get said pistol chambered in time to be of use, then so be it. i truly hope these people never find out the errors of their though process' and leave a widow behind and children without a father or mother. i pray they stay lucky enough that they never have to find out the hard way.
Old 08-13-2013, 11:10 PM   #224

Liked 2149 Times on 1450 Posts
Likes Given: 1172

Is it just me or is this getting just silly

Texan By Birth & Choice
USMC/VIET NAM VET

People Like This 
Old 08-13-2013, 11:18 PM   #225

Liked 51 Times on 34 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by HOSSFLY View Post
That was several pages ago...we've got round one in the pipe and now we're ready for ROUND TWO....ding...ding...ding
Old 08-13-2013, 11:24 PM   #226

Liked 198 Times on 137 Posts

In my opinion an instructor who accidently shoots a student in his class should no longer be an instructor. He forgot rule #1, keep your boogerhook off the bangswitch till youre ready to shoot.

Century Arms AR-15A2, 5.56
1946 Mosin-Nagant M44, 7.62x54R
1978 YUGO SKS, 7.62x39
NEF Protector Pump, 12 gauge
Savage Model 64, .22LR
NEF Pardner Tracker II, 12 gauge
Rock Island Armory 1911A1, .45 ACP
Remington 870 'Express Magnum' 12 gauge
Bersa Thunder .380

Axxe55 Likes This 
Old 08-13-2013, 11:35 PM   #227

Quote:
Originally Posted by flybuddy View Post
That was several pages ago...we've got round one in the pipe and now we're ready for ROUND TWO....ding...ding...ding
Agreed.........................

Texan By Birth & Choice
USMC/VIET NAM VET

Old 08-13-2013, 11:46 PM   #228

Liked 54 Times on 43 Posts
Likes Given: 16

I think everyone should just carry the gun in their hand because the seconds it takes you to get it out of the holster and pointed would give the BG time to be on you like white on rice. If you are not carrying it in your hand... you might as well not carry at all. This thread was entertaining for awhile.

USAF 77-99
MAC trained killer

Old 08-14-2013, 12:11 AM   #229

Quote:
Originally Posted by thdrduck View Post
I think everyone should just carry the gun in their hand because the seconds it takes you to get it out of the holster and pointed would give the BG time to be on you like white on rice. If you are not carrying it in your hand... you might as well not carry at all. This thread was entertaining for awhile.
OK- ^^THIS ^^is a dam good stopping point

Texan By Birth & Choice
USMC/VIET NAM VET

Old 08-14-2013, 02:25 AM   #230
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1244 Times on 779 Posts
Likes Given: 666

Quote:
Originally Posted by HOSSFLY View Post
It is!
Like I said earlier, if you carry a gun with an empty chamber and you survive it you will not ever do it again!!!
Let those who think it is 'cool' carry an empty chamber do so, as long as I don't have too!

An armed society is not always a polite society, but it is a free and safe society!
Self Defense is an absolute and natural right!
Keep your head down and your powder dry!

Axxe55 Likes This