Why carry without bullet in the chamber? - Page 2
You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of FirearmsTalk.com!    
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Concealed Carrying & Personal Protection > Why carry without bullet in the chamber?

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-01-2013, 06:07 AM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
chuckusaret's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: West Palm Beach,Florida
Posts: 481
Liked 173 Times on 117 Posts
Likes Given: 20

Default

Why carry a gun that is not loaded? It takes a prep on average of 1.5 seconds to attack from 21 ft., my best draw and fire time in a training environment was 1.3 seconds and would leave no time to chamber a round. I guess in your friends case he will use the gun as a club.

__________________

US Army 1953-1977

‘‘We, the People are the rightful masters of both Congress and the courts — not to overthrow the Constitution, but to overthrow men who pervert the Constitution.’’
— Abraham Lincoln

chuckusaret is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2013, 06:15 AM   #12
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
JW357's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: North Carolina
Posts: 6,716
Liked 3728 Times on 2285 Posts
Likes Given: 1224

Default

I agree. One in the torpedo tube. One less that that can go wrong.


Not trying to start anything, but I apply the same logic to a thumb safety (unless the gun is single action only - too short a trigger pull to not use the safety).

__________________

Always have clean socks.

JW357 is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2013, 06:25 AM   #13
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
mahall's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2013
Posts: 894
Liked 160 Times on 138 Posts
Likes Given: 15

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Graniteman
Okay so I know a lot of my friends that carry, but don't load a bullet into the chamber. I don't understand the point of carrying if your not ready to fire at all times. I always keep a bullet in the chamber. Is this a common thing to not keep a bullet chambered when carrying?
Takes valuable seconds to load the chamber! Not a gamble worth taking when your life could be on the line!! No safety engaged, full mag and one in the chamber is the only way to carry in my opinion!!
__________________
mahall is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2013, 07:34 AM   #14
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
deadsp0t's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Somewhere between you and nowhere...
Posts: 1,471
Liked 587 Times on 393 Posts
Likes Given: 47

Default

In several years in the repossession(cars, considered a dangerous job), I found myself in need if a gun twice.

The first time was very early on and didn't own a gun and was forced to literally drag a Volvo station wagon 5 miles to the local police department, never picked up another without a a gun, a Glock 21 I purchased in short order the next day.

Second time I was being threatened with being shot from across the road, as the man approached I stepped calmly to the door of my truck and very deliberately racked the slide on my 21 as I turned around and Mr Bad ass was making a U-Turn and heading back home. I continued strapping the navigator down and went on about my business..

My point you ask? A lot of times when the potential bad guy realizes you're armed they turn tail and a potentially bad situation can be diffused.. Carrying a gun is a huge responsibility, one not to be taken lightly, we're obligated as such in most states to avoid or diffuse a situation whenever we can.

In my first example I was shot at and within my rights to shoot back had I had gun, but that experience didn't give me the right to shot the next man simply because he spoke threateningly.

Sometimes that extra second can make the difference in making a mistake that will change your life and theirs forever.

I hold no fault in carrying 'hot', it's your gun and your choice, I just say be sure to make the right choice.

__________________

Rise and rise again, until lambs become lions....

DISCE PATI

Fear cuts deeper then the sword.

deadsp0t is offline  
2
People Like This 
Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2013, 07:53 AM   #15
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
mahall's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2013
Posts: 894
Liked 160 Times on 138 Posts
Likes Given: 15

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by deadsp0t
In several years in the repossession(cars, considered a dangerous job), I found myself in need if a gun twice.

The first time was very early on and didn't own a gun and was forced to literally drag a Volvo station wagon 5 miles to the local police department, never picked up another without a a gun, a Glock 21 I purchased in short order the next day.

Second time I was being threatened with being shot from across the road, as the man approached I stepped calmly to the door of my truck and very deliberately racked the slide on my 21 as I turned around and Mr Bad ass was making a U-Turn and heading back home. I continued strapping the navigator down and went on about my business..

My point you ask? A lot of times when the potential bad guy realizes you're armed they turn tail and a potentially bad situation can be diffused.. Carrying a gun is a huge responsibility, one not to be taken lightly, we're obligated as such in most states to avoid or diffuse a situation whenever we can.

In my first example I was shot at and within my rights to shoot back had I had gun, but that experience didn't give me the right to shot the next man simply because he spoke threateningly.

Sometimes that extra second can make the difference in making a mistake that will change your life and theirs forever.

I hold no fault in carrying 'hot', it's your gun and your choice, I just say be sure to make the right choice.
Oh I'm in the opinion that drawing your gun can often avoid trouble!! Some are taught that if the situation is bad enough to draw it demands an automatic shot!! I think that is foolish thinking!! However, if the decision is made after drawing to fire, I damn sure don't want to have to take the time to chamber a round!! Precious seconds are wasted plus its not 100% given, that the weapon is going to chamber correctly!! Just to much to chance in my opinion!! I carry a small 9mm with a long trigger pull, virtually impossible for an accidental discharge!!
__________________
mahall is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2013, 07:58 AM   #16
RIP my good and faithful dog.
FTF_MODERATOR.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
winds-of-change's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Northern Illinois
Posts: 24,390
Liked 8157 Times on 4879 Posts
Likes Given: 10529

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by sbach311 View Post
If grandma had balls, she'd be grandpa!!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by axxe55 View Post
HUH? and that has what to do with what on this thread?
My thoughts, too.


Anyway, while I was visiting Cane last month, we discussed this very issue. Here is what 'The Wise Man' said to me.

"I know people say it only takes a heartbeat to rack the slide of their gun to put one in the chamber and I say to them, that just might be your last heartbeat."

Lesson learned and understood.
__________________
Honor Student: School of Hard Knocks
To the world you may be one person, but to one person you may be the world.
Quando Omni Flunkus Moritatus
winds-of-change is offline  
2
People Like This 
Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2013, 08:01 AM   #17
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
deadsp0t's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Somewhere between you and nowhere...
Posts: 1,471
Liked 587 Times on 393 Posts
Likes Given: 47

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by mahall

Oh I'm in the opinion that drawing your gun can often avoid trouble!! Some are taught that if the situation is bad enough to draw it demands an automatic shot!! I think that is foolish thinking!! However, if the decision is made after drawing to fire, I damn sure don't want to have to take the time to chamber a round!! Precious seconds are wasted plus its not 100% given, that the weapon is going to chamber correctly!! Just to much to chance in my opinion!! I carry a small 9mm with a long trigger pull, virtually impossible for an accidental discharge!!
I can see that! I carry a Kimber 1911, a short, quick trigger, which creates its own issues.
Everyone has their reasons for the way they carry and none are exactly right or wrong..
__________________

Rise and rise again, until lambs become lions....

DISCE PATI

Fear cuts deeper then the sword.

deadsp0t is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2013, 08:02 AM   #18
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
deadsp0t's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Somewhere between you and nowhere...
Posts: 1,471
Liked 587 Times on 393 Posts
Likes Given: 47

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by winds-of-change

My thoughts, too.

Anyway, while I was visiting Cane last month, we discussed this very issue. Here is what 'The Wise Man' said to me.

"I know people say it only takes a heartbeat to rack the slide of their gun to put one in the chamber and I say to them, that just might be your last heartbeat."

Lesson learned and understood.
Well spoken.
__________________

Rise and rise again, until lambs become lions....

DISCE PATI

Fear cuts deeper then the sword.

deadsp0t is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2013, 08:04 AM   #19
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
mahall's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2013
Posts: 894
Liked 160 Times on 138 Posts
Likes Given: 15

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by winds-of-change

My thoughts, too.

Anyway, while I was visiting Cane last month, we discussed this very issue. Here is what 'The Wise Man' said to me.

"I know people say it only takes a heartbeat to rack the slide of their gun to put one in the chamber and I say to them, that just might be your last heartbeat."

Lesson learned and understood.
For that movement, less than a second but people never think about the time it takes to zero in on the target again! Probably another second! 2 seconds, as an example is an eternity in a life threatening situation!
__________________
mahall is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2013, 08:53 AM   #20
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Posts: 6,698
Liked 2609 Times on 1483 Posts
Likes Given: 2004

Default

What exciting lives you all must lead!

In 55 years, I've never had to mortally

defend myself with anything. I highly

doubt I'll have to kill anybody now.

With anything, a pipe, crowbar, hammer,

nailclippers, or a tube of toothpaste; let

alone a gun.

I find a CCW license makes my life easier,

especially if I'm out of town. I don't have to make a

return a week later to pick up my new to me pistol for

my collection.

__________________

Last edited by therewolf; 07-01-2013 at 09:00 AM.
therewolf is offline  
2
People Like This 
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Firearms Forum Replies Last Post
Real Bullet 50 Cal. and .308 Cal. Bullet Bottle Openers realbullet Sponsor Display 6 03-06-2013 03:32 PM
carry with round in the chamber? potentialglock Concealed Carrying & Personal Protection 126 12-01-2012 01:24 AM
Best bullet for Woods Carry Semi Auto- HP or Hardcast Dana General Handgun Discussion 2 07-09-2012 03:49 PM
ANSI Chamber vs CIP Chamber danf_fl .22 Rifle/Rimfire Discussion 1 01-03-2012 04:11 PM
Carry with a round in the chamber? Thelt Training & Safety 39 02-19-2010 01:45 AM