Why carry without bullet in the chamber? - Page 19
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Concealed Carrying & Personal Protection > Why carry without bullet in the chamber?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-10-2013, 06:50 AM   #181
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 1088 Times on 603 Posts
Likes Given: 454

Some people are very fast in the draw, but the fact that Missouribound is still alive has more to do with the lack of intent to kill than it does with how fast he is. Thankfully most people have never encountered someone who actually knows how to use a knife and is intent on killing them.

Having a gun is great and is rule #1 if you're involved in a gunfight, but there are times when you won't be able to use it so other tools and other tactics come into play.

I have always taught people that it's only a tool in a tool belt. It shouldn't be your only tool and paying attention to the people around you is way more important than having a gun.

Old 08-10-2013, 03:32 PM   #182

Liked 97 Times on 68 Posts
Likes Given: 7

Quote:
Originally Posted by kbd512
I have always taught people that it's only a tool in a tool belt. It shouldn't be your only tool and paying attention to the people around you is way more important than having a gun.
+1

No weapon will save you if you allow yourself to be surprised at close range, especially by multiple attackers.
Old 08-10-2013, 03:42 PM   #183
The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

Liked 21578 Times on 12248 Posts
Likes Given: 53672

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdauben View Post
+1

No weapon will save you if you allow yourself to be surprised at close range, especially by multiple attackers.
i agree. being aware of your surroundings and environment are very important too. paying attention to the people around you and how they are acting might alert you to trouble before it happens. paying attention to your instincts could save your life.

a pistol is not going to be of much help if your are not prepared or capable of using it.
Old 08-10-2013, 08:50 PM   #184
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1961 Times on 1158 Posts
Likes Given: 930

Quote:
Originally Posted by danolator View Post
I guess that's why every soldier in the Israeli armed forces carries an un-chambered Glock in a Fobus holster.
No, they carry them because they are 'issued' them and they do not have choice. I have a choice. I have noticed that the fobus holster makes a very audible 'click' when the gun is removed and if NEED to remove my PPD quietly it would not be the holster I would want so I don't use it for CC. Is there a problem with that?????

An armed society is not always a polite society, but it is a free and safe society!
Self Defense is an absolute and natural right!
Keep your head down and your powder dry!

Last edited by JimRau; 08-10-2013 at 09:51 PM.

Old 08-10-2013, 09:10 PM   #185

Liked 268 Times on 196 Posts
Likes Given: 51

[QUOTE=kbd512;1331525]Some people are very fast in the draw, but the fact that Missouribound is still alive has more to do with the lack of intent to kill than it does with how fast he is. QUOTE]

You are a bit confused.....it wasn't about me, I was merely one of the responders to the original post.

Never waste time deciding between two guns....buy both of them.

Old 08-10-2013, 09:46 PM   #186
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1961 Times on 1158 Posts
Likes Given: 930

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdauben View Post
+1

Not necessarily true.
I have and I know several who have survived a 'CQ ambush'! And, unfortunately, I knew some who did not.
NSDQ and neither should you regardless of how many there are and how close they are if you want to see another sunrise bad enough!!!

An armed society is not always a polite society, but it is a free and safe society!
Self Defense is an absolute and natural right!
Keep your head down and your powder dry!

Last edited by JimRau; 08-10-2013 at 09:50 PM.

Old 08-10-2013, 10:11 PM   #187

Liked 62 Times on 40 Posts
Likes Given: 1

I don't have one chambered in my carry weapon:
1) it doesn't have a safety
2) I'm still 1000% better off than most folks who don't carry
3) it adds a few seconds to a life changing decision
Yes, there is a chance that those few seconds could be precious BUT I believe that to be statistically remote and I'm accepting of that risk.

Old 08-10-2013, 10:26 PM   #188

Liked 1616 Times on 944 Posts
Likes Given: 1894

Quote:
Originally Posted by flybuddy View Post
Yes, there is a chance that those few seconds could be precious BUT I believe that to be statistically remote and I'm accepting of that risk.
Consider yourself the exception, not the rule if you have a fee seconds to make that decision...

The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants.
Thomas Jefferson

Axxe55 Likes This 
Old 08-10-2013, 11:45 PM   #189
The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

Liked 21578 Times on 12248 Posts
Likes Given: 53672

Quote:
Originally Posted by flybuddy View Post
hmmmm......

1) then maybe you need more training.
2) quantify your answer as to why and where you came up with that figure.
3) in those few seconds, it may end up being the very last seconds of your life.

you believe it to be statistically remote? please again quantify how you figure it to be remotely statistical that you have those few seconds in order to chamber a round.

i'll give you two good reasons, why to not carry unchambered.

1) what if in an attack your injured and can't rack the slide or if up close and personal, you are using your non-gun hand to fend off the attacker so you can present your pistol? you can't. you pistol even in your hand is no more effective than a club, and actually a real club would be more effective.

2) reread about the 21 foot rule used by LE agencies that they use for their officers. this is even with the gun chambered and in hand. they say that an armed attacker can cover 21 feet in less time to actually get an accurate shot off and stop the attacker. so if the attacker is 21 feet or less, and you have to rack the slide and bring the pistol to bear on the attacker, then you have increased the odds that you will be injured or killed. if you live through it, then it will nothing but luck. not because you had a pistol.

you might want to seriously rethink carrying a firearm, you might be you own worst luck if attacked.
Old 08-11-2013, 01:34 AM   #190

Liked 62 Times on 40 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Axxe55 View Post
hmmmm......

1) then maybe you need more training.
2) quantify your answer as to why and where you came up with that figure.
3) in those few seconds, it may end up being the very last seconds of your life.

you believe it to be statistically remote? please again quantify how you figure it to be remotely statistical that you have those few seconds in order to chamber a round.

i'll give you two good reasons, why to not carry unchambered.

1) what if in an attack your injured and can't rack the slide or if up close and personal, you are using your non-gun hand to fend off the attacker so you can present your pistol? you can't. you pistol even in your hand is no more effective than a club, and actually a real club would be more effective.

2) reread about the 21 foot rule used by LE agencies that they use for their officers. this is even with the gun chambered and in hand. they say that an armed attacker can cover 21 feet in less time to actually get an accurate shot off and stop the attacker. so if the attacker is 21 feet or less, and you have to rack the slide and bring the pistol to bear on the attacker, then you have increased the odds that you will be injured or killed. if you live through it, then it will nothing but luck. not because you had a pistol.

you might want to seriously rethink carrying a firearm, you might be you own worst luck if attacked.
No matter how you try to "quantify" this..It's extremely subjective as the vast, vast majority of us will never find ourselves in a shoot or be killed life and death situation. There are a zillion what ifs that can be stated and you bring up two of the most logical. Vigilance will reduce the chances but never eliminate them. You can always chamber in higher risk situations/environments also. You can't eliminate accidental discharges either and IMO, the chances of an accidental discharge are as high as that small percentage of time that chambering will make a difference. Simply my opinion. Yours is well stated and well thought out and I respect that also. I had a hard time deciding on a carry weapon for this very reason. If mine had a safety, I'd chamber...then there would be the threads about whether to leave the safety on or off