Why carry without bullet in the chamber? - Page 15
You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of FirearmsTalk.com!    
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Concealed Carrying & Personal Protection >

Why carry without bullet in the chamber?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-10-2013, 06:49 AM   #141
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 1143 Times on 734 Posts
Likes Given: 246

My gun readiness has changed over the past few weeks, mostly because I am now a NRA Certified Instructor. One hard fast rule is, no live ammo in an NRA classroom.

That rule has changed the way I do business with my firearms. Much easier, much safier to drop a mag, and check for an empty chamber, than drop a mag and clear a round from a chamber. Same action, but one carries the greater potential for tragedies.

Another change in my mentality, is the discovery in my new Glock 20 owners manual, telling me to keep my chamber empty. Old Glock 20 did not say that.

Sure, that is just an attorney song and dance. True, but if I ever get involved in a shooting, I will be better off, following the rules that came with my gun. Far better off. Maybe hundreds of thousands of dollars better off.

For a quarter mil, I can live with an empty chamber.

Good news, empty chamber, trigger block safeties are no longer needed.

Last edited by AR10; 07-10-2013 at 06:52 AM.
therewolf Likes This 
Old 07-10-2013, 07:19 AM   #142
Lifetime Supporting Member
FTF_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Liked 1675 Times on 942 Posts
Likes Given: 726

Quote:
Originally Posted by AR10 View Post
My gun readiness has changed over the past few weeks, mostly because I am now a NRA Certified Instructor. One hard fast rule is, no live ammo in an NRA classroom.

That rule has changed the way I do business with my firearms. Much easier, much safier to drop a mag, and check for an empty chamber, than drop a mag and clear a round from a chamber. Same action, but one carries the greater potential for tragedies.

Another change in my mentality, is the discovery in my new Glock 20 owners manual, telling me to keep my chamber empty. Old Glock 20 did not say that.

Sure, that is just an attorney song and dance. True, but if I ever get involved in a shooting, I will be better off, following the rules that came with my gun. Far better off. Maybe hundreds of thousands of dollars better off.

Dead men don't get to keep or spend any money, AR10.

You went through all the trouble of getting certified as a NRA instructor and actually read the manual that came with your Glock and decided it was better as a paperweight than as a weapon?

If you wanted a club, there were plenty of better and cheaper options available.

I'm not sure I'd put too much stock in what a liar, I mean lawyer, would say about firearms. They get paid to run off at the mouth and while they're pretty good at that they don't stop many criminal assaults against their clients.

Who reads the manual that comes with a Glock? I didn't know it even had one. I thought it was like an AK-47.

Old 07-10-2013, 06:15 PM   #143

Liked 110 Times on 91 Posts
Likes Given: 219

To each their own.

Old 07-12-2013, 05:03 AM   #144

Liked 3149 Times on 1791 Posts
Likes Given: 2291

Quote:
Originally Posted by AR10 View Post

So, you are saying you don't trust this "simple" pistol, even though

you have a fairly sophisticated degree of training?

What,what,what?

Old 08-04-2013, 09:27 PM   #145

Liked 1020 Times on 537 Posts
Likes Given: 51

99% of the time I do not keep a round chambered. I read enough articles about cop and others dropping guns and them going off. Also heard of car wrecks or someone getting flustered when they pull it out and it going off. And I used to carry all the time when I road my bike. If I hit the ground at 80mph, my leathers, boots, gloves, and lid would do a great job of saving my ass. But a gun bouncing with me would be tough to not be concerned with. There are also few things I could think of that I would have to engage and pull the trigger with zero time to chamber a round. When I shoot a hang gun at the range every few weeks I practice drawing, chambering and then firing. Chambering a round doesn't slow me down hardly at all drone draw to sighting target.
In the end, I feel comfortable with it. That's what matters to me. If I were a cop, I would do things differently but I can get the first shot off at about the same time (some days faster) that a friend of mine that is a cop. It just takes two hands.

Old 08-04-2013, 09:47 PM   #146
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1769 Times on 990 Posts
Likes Given: 1302

In most cases outside the home the only time you would be justified in using deadly force is if there was a large disparity of force or your attacker was displaying a weapon and making threats. If your attacker is already displaying a weapon, you have lost the quick draw competition before you ever knew there was going to be one. Why would you intentionally add an extra step to your attempt to defend yourself?

Old 08-04-2013, 09:59 PM   #147

Liked 1020 Times on 537 Posts
Likes Given: 51

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doc3402
In most cases outside the home the only time you would be justified in using deadly force is if there was a large disparity of force or your attacker was displaying a weapon and making threats. If your attacker is already displaying a weapon, you have lost the quick draw competition before you ever knew there was going to be one. Why would you intentionally add an extra step to your attempt to defend yourself?
If someone already had a barrel in my face, I'm going to do whatever the hell they ask of me before I consider drawing anyway. If they have one on someone else, I can have it drawn and chambered before they got turned around.
I've practiced enough (and continue to practice from time to time) to know my abilities. From what I can think of, it's really a non-issue.

Old 08-04-2013, 10:32 PM   #148
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1769 Times on 990 Posts
Likes Given: 1302

Quote:
Originally Posted by CourtJester View Post
If someone already had a barrel in my face, I'm going to do whatever the hell they ask of me before I consider drawing anyway. If they have one on someone else, I can have it drawn and chambered before they got turned around.
I wasn't trying to single you out when I posted, but I am glad you responded.

There is a reason why I said weapon and not firearm. I'm guessing based on the quick draw comment I made you assumed I meant a gun, but it could just as easily be a knife or a bat. Time is critical in any instance, but if you say you can do it, I hope you are correct. I have strong doubts about my ability to get away with it, so I always carry with a chambered round.

Old 08-04-2013, 10:43 PM   #149

Liked 3627 Times on 2070 Posts
Likes Given: 2525

One in the pipe or not is as personal of a choice as whether to carry a weapon (of any sort) or not. The reason most people carry a weapon is to give them peace of mind. Your carry method should also give you p.o.m.

Old 08-04-2013, 11:15 PM   #150
Supporting Member
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1190 Times on 816 Posts
Likes Given: 309

Quote:
Originally Posted by eatmydust
One in the pipe or not is as personal of a choice as whether to carry a weapon (of any sort) or not. The reason most people carry a weapon is to give them peace of mind. Your carry method should also give you p.o.m.
Well put! A good response for many of the pro/con questions on the forum.