Why carry without bullet in the chamber? - Page 14
You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of FirearmsTalk.com!    
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Concealed Carrying & Personal Protection >

Why carry without bullet in the chamber?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-06-2013, 01:42 PM   #131
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 97 Times on 68 Posts
Likes Given: 7

Quote:
Originally Posted by phildenton
I think it all depends on the platform. Something like a cz27, i wouldn't feel comfortable carrying with one in the pipe. Granted i probably wont carry a cz27. A hi point, another one that i would be uneasy about.
I think this relates to proper handgun choice for each individual. If one is not comfortable with carrying a Glock with one in the chamber because it has no manual safety, then chose a gun with that feature. If you're not comfortable carrying a 1911 condition 1 because cocked-and-locked makes you nervous then get a DA pistol instead. There's a wide variety of guns out there with different combinations of features. Rather than getting obsessed with brand or model, look for the features that match you best.
People Like This 
Old 07-06-2013, 01:52 PM   #132

Liked 3504 Times on 1789 Posts
Likes Given: 5443

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdauben View Post
I think this relates to proper handgun choice for each individual. If one is not comfortable with carrying a Glock with one in the chamber because it has no manual safety, then chose a gun with that feature. If you're not comfortable carrying a 1911 condition 1 because cocked-and-locked makes you nervous then get a DA pistol instead. There's a wide variety of guns out there with different combinations of features. Rather than getting obsessed with brand or model, look for the features that match you best.
Thats one thing i love about my P95. With the de-cocker safety, i am confident CC with 1 in the pipe. I know i would not be as comfortable with a Glock in that same condition. Plus i like the mag safety (i know some dont) If there is a struggle for the gun, i can drop the mag, and render it inoperable.
Old 07-07-2013, 03:00 AM   #133

Liked 110 Times on 91 Posts
Likes Given: 219

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdauben View Post

Exactly. Just sometimes people only have whats available to them, and that might only be a hi point or some old milsurp shooter, whoch might be part of the point of this thread.
axxe55 Likes This 
Old 07-07-2013, 03:32 AM   #134
The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

Liked 22315 Times on 12477 Posts
Likes Given: 53672

my advice is this, train for the type of pistol you carry whether it has a safety or not.

many people think that having a safety is a time waster. well it's still faster to sweep the safety off, than trying to rack the slide to chamber a round. plus it can be done very easily as part of your conditioning yourself to do so.

some people are not confident in their training enough to carry a pistol with no safeties chambered. my advice, get more training until you are confident in your abilities.

in most SD situations, it's going to be up close and personal, and you may not be afforded the time or opportunity to rack the slide to chamber a round. what if your non-gun hand is comprimised, such as fending a BG off, or is injured from a knife attack? kind of hard to rack the slide one handed. yes it can be done, but if it's already chambered, it's ready to go.
People Like This 
Old 07-07-2013, 04:00 AM   #135
Lifetime Supporting Member
FTF_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Liked 1373 Times on 763 Posts
Likes Given: 599

Quote:
Originally Posted by axxe55 View Post
some people are not confident in their training enough to carry a pistol with no safeties chambered. my advice, get more training until you are confident in your abilities.
Axxe, my advice is to not try to chamber your safety and to chamber quality ammunition instead. Your "safety" is between your ears.

axxe55 Likes This 
Old 07-07-2013, 04:06 AM   #136
The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

Liked 22315 Times on 12477 Posts
Likes Given: 53672

Quote:
Originally Posted by kbd512 View Post
Axxe, my advice is to not try to chamber your safety and to chamber quality ammunition instead. Your "safety" is between your ears.

damn! i screwed that up! i guess the heat got to me! i was mowing most of the day.

yes i agree. the most important safety is between your ears. no amount of safeties on any firearm can make up for lack of not using your brain.

thanks KBD512!
TekGreg Likes This 
Old 07-08-2013, 06:31 PM   #137
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 5738 Times on 3362 Posts
Likes Given: 4877

Quote:
Originally Posted by AR10 View Post
...I try to never interact with my Glocks outside a double retention Serpa holster, and I add to that, a trigger block safety.

No trigger block safety in the gun, no ammo in the gun, pipe or loaded magazine. Hard fast rule for me.

Just picked up a new G20SF, and my gen 2 trigger block safety does not fit. Ordered one to fit, but the gun makes me nervous without that added external safety, so after an afternoon of carrying the gun, I put it in the safe till the ups guy beings me my security blanket.
I do bow quietly to the potential bear-killing might of the 10mm in its classic loadings, but I wonder, have you considered the XD45 with the thumb safety? It is polymer and not that different from a Glock in general operation and construction, but it has the manual safety you are adding with the trigger block. I had to look that one up to see what you meant by "trigger block". I have the safety-free XD45, but I don't carry it on my person.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rn-cindy View Post
Thats one thing i love about my P95. With the de-cocker safety, i am confident CC with 1 in the pipe. I know i would not be as comfortable with a Glock in that same condition. Plus i like the mag safety (i know some dont) If there is a struggle for the gun, i can drop the mag, and render it inoperable.
I gotta ask, what is the difference in operation between you P95DC (which I do love) and a Glock pistol when each has a round in the chamber? They would seem similar in operation and safety, no manual safety and a loooong DA trigger pull that cocks the hammer/striker and then releases it.

Old 07-08-2013, 09:09 PM   #138

Liked 335 Times on 203 Posts
Likes Given: 260

I owned a P95DC for a bit. The difference is when the de-cocker/safety is engaged, the trigger is disabled completly. You can pull it and all it does is move back with zero resistance. It's an odd setup at first, kinda a double safety. First you have to take it off safe/de-cock and then you have a long DA pull. It was my first handgun and I liked the way it functioned. I probably should have kept it, but I sold it for $20 less than I paid for it and funded another firearm purchase.
orangello Likes This 
Old 07-08-2013, 09:34 PM   #139
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 5738 Times on 3362 Posts
Likes Given: 4877

Thanks JD1969. I didn't realize the safety stayed on after decocking on the Ruger.

Old 07-09-2013, 03:05 AM   #140

Liked 14 Times on 9 Posts

My GLOCK 23 is always loaded with one in the chamber. However it is never removed from the holster unles it is for cleaning or shooting. The trigger is always covered no exceptions. Have trained to never put finger in trigger until target is verified, no exceptions. My GLOCK is totally safe with my finger out of the trigger. I do not see the issue on any weapon with keeping a round in the chamber. If you are the type to fondel and play with your gun when loaded then it will not be an accident when it is fired that would be a case of stupid. Nothing wrong with your decision to not keep one in the chamber but I don't want to carry a paper weight. As others have said training and discipline is required when making the decision to handle or more particularly to carry a weapon.
People Like This