Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Concealed Carrying & Personal Protection > Why carry without bullet in the chamber?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-03-2013, 11:39 PM   #111
Ain't she sweet?
FTF_MODERATOR.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 6636 Times on 4015 Posts
Likes Given: 7878

Quote:
Originally Posted by JWSchramm View Post
I agree about wheel guns too. I usually recommend wheel guns to new shooters. Well just about to anyone really. I like my semis too of course. But ill always have a special place in my heart for a wheel gun.
You and me both. My first gun was a revolver and I like it's simple function and beauty.

Old 07-04-2013, 12:29 AM   #112

Liked 1616 Times on 944 Posts
Likes Given: 1894

Quote:
Originally Posted by SWIll View Post
This issue is just one of the many reasons I use a revolver. Always ready to fire, but never one in 'the pipe', long heavy DA trigger pull is an effective safety for most people. I encourage people to try revolvers; I'm a big fan of the KISS principle.
Um..Unless you are in the wild west and are carrying on a dead cylinder or you are just leaving one empty there is always one in the pipe. a revolver just has 5,6,7 chambers and one barrel. I do agree they are fantastic carry guns though. I don't much care for DAO revolvers though. It's just a personal thing. I like the freedom to choose DA or SA with a revolver.

Back to topic...I have always been taught that carrying an unloaded gun is not safe. And a pistol with an empty chamber is not loaded. This has actually helped me in real life. Time moves a lot faster than one might like when a time comes and you have to defend yourself. The only time I know you will have time to rack a slide is on TV or movies.

The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants.
Thomas Jefferson

Last edited by DrumJunkie; 07-04-2013 at 02:18 AM. Reason: Whew I'm bad at typing...
HOSSFLY Likes This 
Old 07-04-2013, 01:46 AM   #113
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 837 Times on 484 Posts
Likes Given: 338

Quote:
Originally Posted by HankStone View Post
When carrying in a Civil situation I recommend an empty chamber,when carrying in an Uncivilized,say neighborhood one in chamber,but only shoot White BGs not Black BGs,or you will be in the Media NEWS World Wide!
You're always in a "civil" situation... Right up until someone tries to kill you... Then you're not.

Nobody walks up to you and says "hey, m'fer, I'm gonna kill you." Actually sometimes they do, but you don't know which ones are just running their mouths and which ones are gonna try to kill you.

These days I try to avoid people like that, I try to keep my big mouth shut and don't respond to their threats, and I run away from them if at all possible. When I was younger and dumberer I learned that fighting with them was not a very good idea. Sometimes you win and sometimes you don't.

Carry however you want to, but believe that nobody's going to give you notice before they attack you. I don't want to waste time messing with my pistol when I should be sending lead down range.
Old 07-04-2013, 02:29 AM   #114
Concealed Carry Instructor
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 870 Times on 578 Posts
Likes Given: 220

Remember, how in every dirty harry movie, Clint Eastwood would get called into a corner office, and get butt chewed a bit, sometimes several times per movie?

That comes with unleashing bullets at people.

Keep your fireing pin out of service, unless battleing paper targets. Throwing lead at people, even scrum bags, is looked down upon in today's modern society.

You may well have the RIGHT to defend yourself, however , kiss your toys goodbye, possibly kiss your family goodbye, as families break apart under the stress of a shooting. Your life could easily go down the drain in a heartbeat.

Old 07-04-2013, 03:02 AM   #115

Liked 56 Times on 37 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Wife always has one in the chamber with the safety on but I never chambered one when I carry because my carry gun has no safety. After reading this thread I changed my mind and I now have a round chambered and will keep it that way. Lots of good posts in this thread.

Old 07-04-2013, 03:03 AM   #116

Liked 101 Times on 84 Posts
Likes Given: 219

Quote:
Originally Posted by AR10 View Post
Remember, how in every dirty harry movie, Clint Eastwood would get called into a corner office, and get butt chewed a bit, sometimes several times per movie?

Keep your fireing pin out of service, unless battleing paper targets. Throwing lead at people, even scrum bags, is looked down upon in today's modern society.

You may well have the RIGHT to defend yourself, however , kiss your toys goodbye, possibly kiss your family goodbye, as families break apart under the stress of a shooting. Your life could easily go down the drain in a heartbeat.
Some might say that that is the price of freedom
Old 07-04-2013, 07:11 AM   #117
Concealed Carry Instructor
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 870 Times on 578 Posts
Likes Given: 220

Quote:
Originally Posted by KingGlamis View Post
Wife always has one in the chamber with the safety on but I never chambered one when I carry because my carry gun has no safety. After reading this thread I changed my mind and I now have a round chambered and will keep it that way. Lots of good posts in this thread.
A major change in carry readiness, with no major change in training, could spell disaster, as I am sure you are aware.

I try to never interact with my Glocks outside a double retention Serpa holster, and I add to that, a trigger block safety.

No trigger block safety in the gun, no ammo in the gun, pipe or loaded magazine. Hard fast rule for me.

Just picked up a new G20SF, and my gen 2 trigger block safety does not fit. Ordered one to fit, but the gun makes me nervous without that added external safety, so after an afternoon of carrying the gun, I put it in the safe till the ups guy beings me my security blanket.

Old 07-04-2013, 07:27 AM   #118

Liked 587 Times on 393 Posts
Likes Given: 47

Quote:
Originally Posted by AR10

Wise words in the world we share today.

Quote:
Originally Posted by phildenton

Some might say that that is the price of freedom
Right, the price could and can be your freedom and quality of life.

AR10 is correct in his meaning and in that ppl are different after being involved in shootings, whether being shot, shot at, shooting AT someone, shooting and wounding someone or shooting and killing someone. I feel too many times these are small to non existent after thoughts of a lot of ppl, when in fact they should be foremost....

Rise and rise again, until lambs become lions....

DISCE PATI

Fear cuts deeper then the sword.

axxe55 Likes This 
Old 07-04-2013, 02:54 PM   #119

Liked 158 Times on 88 Posts
Likes Given: 42

Quote:
Originally Posted by HighSpeed View Post
No NDs by folks carrying 1911s, huh?

http://youtu.be/zYvAxLX6OzE

http://youtu.be/p3kJ6SU3ycs

The same argument of materials interfering with safeties or lack thereof can apply to ANY firearm. It's the end user who is responsible for his own safety and understanding how to correctly holster, draw, fire and clear his weapon.
Sorry that bottom video was kinda funny, sad that he got hurt, but good grief why? Good reason most ranges will not let you draw from your holster and shoot at the range I suppose.

Old 07-04-2013, 11:30 PM   #120

Liked 2391 Times on 1361 Posts
Likes Given: 1881

Quote:
Originally Posted by g23shooter View Post
Identifying a GLOCK as you just have only means that your skill level is not as advanced as others. Not you fault you just need training or a weapon with multiple fail safe devices so you feel comfortable.
Identifying a glock as YOU have, as being a

"sophisticated" pistol, is

noteworthy, if not downright strange.

I, for one, would not risk blowing my balls

off with ANY amount of training.

I' ll just stick with my "unsophisticated"

pistols which all seem to have highly

functional safeties.