Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Concealed Carrying & Personal Protection > Why carry without bullet in the chamber?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-03-2013, 02:53 PM   #101
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 3721 Times on 2281 Posts
Likes Given: 1224

Quote:
Originally Posted by HighSpeed
Absolutely, 100% spot on.
You just basically agreed that it is due to the construction of the gun. You essentially contradicted yourself. If I have to explain to you how, then you need to re-read his post and think about every point he makes.

Personally I don't know much about Glock Leg or anything like that. I just know what I've been reading the last couple weeks, here and there. I agree that if it happens often enough for the situation to have its own name, then one of two logical conclusions can be made. Either there is something in the construction of the gun which causes some NGs occasionally; or there is something about Glock owners who are prone to NGs. Personally I don't know. I agree that training is paramount. I also think every person should be hyper-aware when reholstering a firearm. Be 100% cognizant of everything. Being safe while shooting is one thing. That is kind of drilled into people often. But I believe people often overlook reholstering. Just my opinion.

Quote:
But you sure do sound like the gun grabbing left by placing the blame on the guns themselves.
There is no reason to start saying things like that. When a gun is poorly or unsafely designed (and I'm not saying Glock IS), or when a person thinks that about a gun due to its track record, that doesn't make them an irrational gun grabber. To say so is asinine.

I'm not saying Glocks are terrible guns, or that they're unsafe. This is one of those "to each his own" type situations. Some people think Glocks are unsafe so they don't buy them. Some people think carrying hot is unsafe so they don't do it. Some people think having every safety ever designed on a gun is the only way to make a gun safe, so that's the gun they buy.

Reasonable people can disagree. Especially when we're talking about personal preferences. That doesn't make anyone asinine.

Last note: I would never own a Glock. Only because "Glock fanboys" piss me off and I therefore have an irrational bias against the gun. That's my bias to live with. There are other equally good, if not better, polymer framed handguns on the market.

Always have clean socks.

Last edited by JW357; 07-03-2013 at 02:55 PM.
towboater Likes This 
Old 07-03-2013, 03:01 PM   #102

Liked 320 Times on 185 Posts
Likes Given: 354

When carrying in a Civil situation I recommend an empty chamber,when carrying in an Uncivilized,say neighborhood one in chamber,but only shoot White BGs not Black BGs,or you will be in the Media NEWS World Wide!

Old 07-03-2013, 03:10 PM   #103

Liked 2442 Times on 1391 Posts
Likes Given: 1910

Quote:
Originally Posted by HighSpeed View Post

Glock safeties suck? That's purely your opinion. You don't have to buy a Glock, it's a preference like your vehicle or the color of your house. Nothing you've posted can be labeled as fact. Every instance or possible scenario that's been given is subject to poor training or wanton disregard of the four safety rules. To say that only Glock owners have NDs is asinine.

But you sure do sound like the gun grabbing left by placing the blame on the guns themselves.
OH, well, since you put it that way.

I mean, certainly-glock leg must have named

itself. I'm just plain wrong.

Old 07-03-2013, 03:17 PM   #104

Liked 28 Times on 22 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by JWSchramm
You just basically agreed that it is due to the construction of the gun. You essentially contradicted yourself. If I have to explain to you how, then you need to re-read his post and think about every point he makes.

Personally I don't know much about Glock Leg or anything like that. I just know what I've been reading the last couple weeks, here and there. I agree that if it happens often enough for the situation to have its own name, then one of two logical conclusions can be made. Either there is something in the construction of the gun which causes some NGs occasionally; or there is something about Glock owners who are prone to NGs. Personally I don't know. I agree that training is paramount. I also think every person should be hyper-aware when reholstering a firearm. Be 100% cognizant of everything. Being safe while shooting is one thing. That is kind of drilled into people often. But I believe people often overlook reholstering. Just my opinion.

There is no reason to start saying things like that. When a gun is poorly or unsafely designed (and I'm not saying Glock IS), or when a person thinks that about a gun due to its track record, that doesn't make them an irrational gun grabber. To say so is asinine.

I'm not saying Glocks are terrible guns, or that they're unsafe. This is one of those "to each his own" type situations. Some people think Glocks are unsafe so they don't buy them. Some people think carrying hot is unsafe so they don't do it. Some people think having every safety ever designed on a gun is the only way to make a gun safe, so that's the gun they buy.

Reasonable people can disagree. Especially when we're talking about personal preferences. That doesn't make anyone asinine.

Last note: I would never own a Glock. Only because "Glock fanboys" piss me off and I therefore have an irrational bias against the gun. That's my bias to live with. There are other equally good, if not better, polymer framed handguns on the market.
No, I agreed that the issue is the level of training and competency with the shooter. But, to say that ONLY one type of gun or gun owner has a ND is asinine.

The asinine comment is in reference to the post that said there were no NDs of the same sort with other guns, which is undeniably false.

You don't have to explain anything to me. Some people just aren't competent or comfortable enough to use a Glock without shooting themselves.

The only time you can have too much ammunition is if you're swimming or on fire!

Gun stores: Where the morbidly obese can pretend to be mercenaries, allude to past experiences in Special Ops, and overuse words like "tactical" and "piece of kit".

Old 07-03-2013, 04:11 PM   #105
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Quote:

No, I agreed that the issue is the level of training and competency with the shooter. But, to say that ONLY one type of gun or gun owner has a ND is asinine.
Agreed.

Quote:
The asinine comment is in reference to the post that said there were no NDs of the same sort with other guns, which is undeniably false.
I didn't notice that post. Maybe I misread something.

Quote:
You don't have to explain anything to me. Some people just aren't competent or comfortable enough to use a Glock without shooting themselves.
Its a good thing they have a choice in the matter then.

Always have clean socks.

Old 07-03-2013, 04:25 PM   #106

Liked 14 Times on 9 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by therewolf

The fact remains it's ONLY THE GLOCKS with owners having "user error"

or "incompetence".

Face it: glock safeties SUCK.

What is a safety supposed to do ?

Glock safeties, on the whole, aren't

getting it done.

Case in point: I carry full size. What I shoot at the range is

what I carry. I've never had an ND/AD.

I won't buy a glock because of their poor

safety record. I won't risk an ND with a pistol with such

a poor reputation. My fear of their poor reputation in

this area keeps me from ever buying one.

IMHO, if there were ever a pistol which was the

poster-boy for carrying without a round in the

chamber, it would be GLOCK.
Identifying a GLOCK as you just have only means that your skill level is not as advanced as others. Not you fault you just need training or a weapon with multiple fail safe devices so you feel comfortable.
Old 07-03-2013, 04:57 PM   #107

Liked 9 Times on 7 Posts
Likes Given: 7

This issue is just one of the many reasons I use a revolver. Always ready to fire, but never one in 'the pipe', long heavy DA trigger pull is an effective safety for most people. I encourage people to try revolvers; I'm a big fan of the KISS principle.

Mike

Last edited by SWIll; 07-03-2013 at 04:59 PM. Reason: addition
winds-of-change Likes This 
Old 07-03-2013, 06:41 PM   #108
Ain't she sweet?
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 6762 Times on 4086 Posts
Likes Given: 8094

This thread is about carrying one in the chamber or not.

It has devolved into an debate about Glocks.

Let's get it back on track..........

I agree, SWIll. I am a fan of revolvers. Simple, beautiful, functional.

HankStone Likes This 
Old 07-03-2013, 06:57 PM   #109
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

I agree about wheel guns too. I usually recommend wheel guns to new shooters. Well just about to anyone really. I like my semis too of course. But ill always have a special place in my heart for a wheel gun.

Always have clean socks.

Old 07-03-2013, 08:04 PM   #110
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 5731 Times on 3358 Posts
Likes Given: 4877

Quote:
Originally Posted by JWSchramm View Post
...But ill always have a special place in my heart for a wheel gun.
Now THAT is deep concealment!
I applaud your commitment sir.

Dead Bears, the only good kind.

People Like This