Why carry without bullet in the chamber? - Page 10
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Concealed Carrying & Personal Protection > Why carry without bullet in the chamber?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-03-2013, 05:54 AM   #91
RIP my good and faithful dog.
FTF_MODERATOR.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 7954 Times on 4776 Posts
Likes Given: 10209

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tackleberry1 View Post
I will say that the bullet in your chamber will be much more effective if you add:
Casing
Primer
... and Charge...

We call this a cartridge.

Tack

Thank you. The was the one thing I learned before I learned the difference between magazine and clip.

Old 07-03-2013, 06:20 AM   #92
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1243 Times on 692 Posts
Likes Given: 538

Quote:
Originally Posted by HighSpeed View Post
No NDs by folks carrying 1911s, huh?

The same argument of materials interfering with safeties or lack thereof can apply to ANY firearm. It's the end user who is responsible for his own safety and understanding how to correctly holster, draw, fire and clear his weapon.
Nah, can't be. That's impossible! As soon as someone's the proud new owner of a 1911, he can't possibly make a mistake that someone with a Glock would make.

I quit caring about "safety" devices a long time ago. Right after I figured out that a common seat belt would render them inoperative.

If the little lever on the side of your 1911 works, that's great. If not, use that stuff between your ears that permits you to conceptualize the notional concept of safety.

I'll take the simplicity of my Glock and the 1911 gurus can keep their levers.

I sincerely hope he was not permanently injured as a result of his ND.

Perhaps the concept isn't readily understood by some people, but firearms are designed to kill. Shocking, but true. Use some forethought and consider a healthy dose of firearms training. If you don't think you need it, go back and reconsider that decision. If Navy SEAL's and Green Beret's need constant weapons training, that should probably be an indicator that no matter how skilled or physically fit you are, plenty of practice produces proficiency.
Old 07-03-2013, 01:58 PM   #93

Liked 2607 Times on 1481 Posts
Likes Given: 2004

[/QUOTE]

The same argument of materials interfering with safeties or lack thereof can apply to ANY firearm. It's the end user who is responsible for his own safety and understanding how to correctly holster, draw, fire and clear his weapon.[/QUOTE]

The problem is this a happens often enough

with glocks to have a syndrome named after

it.

This isn't a case of somebody trying to

be slick and draw too fast, but a matter of

so many glock owners not knowing how

easily their safety can be defeated by

a small bit of clothing or other foreign

matter in the trigger guard. Once again,

THE FACTS REMAIN, no matter how

much you go on about it.

Old 07-03-2013, 02:19 PM   #94

Liked 28 Times on 22 Posts
Likes Given: 4

The same argument of materials interfering with safeties or lack thereof can apply to ANY firearm. It's the end user who is responsible for his own safety and understanding how to correctly holster, draw, fire and clear his weapon.[/QUOTE]

The problem is this a happens often enough

with glocks to have a syndrome named after

it.

This isn't a case of somebody trying to

be slick and draw too fast, but a matter of

so many glock owners not knowing how

easily their safety can be defeated by

a small bit of clothing or other foreign

matter in the trigger guard. Once again,

THE FACTS REMAIN, no matter how

much you go on about it.[/QUOTE]

The fact remains that it's user error or incompetence, not the pistol, no matter how much you go on about it.

The only time you can have too much ammunition is if you're swimming or on fire!

Gun stores: Where the morbidly obese can pretend to be mercenaries, allude to past experiences in Special Ops, and overuse words like "tactical" and "piece of kit".

Old 07-03-2013, 02:42 PM   #95

Liked 2607 Times on 1481 Posts
Likes Given: 2004

Quote:
Originally Posted by HighSpeed View Post
The fact remains that it's user error or incompetence, not the pistol, no matter how much you go on about it.
The fact remains it's ONLY THE GLOCKS with owners having "user error"

or "incompetence".

Face it: glock safeties SUCK.

What is a safety supposed to do ?

Glock safeties, on the whole, aren't

getting it done.

Case in point: I carry full size. What I shoot at the range is

what I carry. I've never had an ND/AD.

I won't buy a glock because of their poor

safety record. I won't risk an ND with a pistol with such

a poor reputation. My fear of their poor reputation in

this area keeps me from ever buying one.

IMHO, if there were ever a pistol which was the

poster-boy for carrying without a round in the

chamber, it would be GLOCK.

Last edited by therewolf; 07-03-2013 at 02:46 PM.

Old 07-03-2013, 02:54 PM   #96

Quote:
Originally Posted by therewolf

The fact remains it's ONLY THE GLOCKS with owners having "user error"

or "incompetence".

Face it: glock safeties SUCK.

What is a safety supposed to do ?

Glock safeties, on the whole, aren't

getting it done.

Case in point: I carry full size. What I shoot at the range is

what I carry. I've never had an ND/AD.

I won't buy a glock because of their poor

safety record. I won't risk an ND with a pistol with such

a poor reputation. My fear of their poor reputation in

this area keeps me from ever buying one.
Case in point: I've carried one Glock or another for the past 9 years and have never had a ND.
For the last 2 years I've carried Sigs and most recently an HK. None of them have manual safeties, yet I'm still hole-free.

Glock safeties suck? That's purely your opinion. You don't have to buy a Glock, it's a preference like your vehicle or the color of your house. Nothing you've posted can be labeled as fact. Every instance or possible scenario that's been given is subject to poor training or wanton disregard of the four safety rules. To say that only Glock owners have NDs is asinine.

But you sure do sound like the gun grabbing left by placing the blame on the guns themselves.

The only time you can have too much ammunition is if you're swimming or on fire!

Gun stores: Where the morbidly obese can pretend to be mercenaries, allude to past experiences in Special Ops, and overuse words like "tactical" and "piece of kit".

Old 07-03-2013, 02:57 PM   #97

One more thing, my partner's G17 surely didn't suck when it saved his life on duty.

Old 07-03-2013, 02:59 PM   #98
CGS

Liked 66 Times on 52 Posts
Likes Given: 2

I specifically sought out a carry gun with a manual thumb safety so that I could carry one in the chamber. Otherwise I would not be comfortable carrying with one in the chamber. Watch this video, really only the first clip, it scares the chit outta me.

-Thomas
NRA Life Member, ISRA Member, American Gunsmith Institute Certified, NRA Instructor, State of IL authorized Carry Concealed Instructor http://www.chicagogunsmith.com
http://www.firearmtrainingchicago.com

Old 07-03-2013, 03:19 PM   #99

Liked 1131 Times on 727 Posts
Likes Given: 246

First Glock was over twenty years ago, gen 1

I own a gen 2 G20 twenty years, and yesterday purchased a Gen 3 G20.

Retired FFL dealer, current NRA CRSO, Certified Pistol Instructor.

Would you Glock people admit a Glock is easier to shoot, especially under stress, like in combat situations? Admit it or not, they are built to be easier to shoot, stay loaded longer, because of increased magazine size over many other handguns.

If they are easier to shoot, as Glock claims, and I agree with that premise, they also are easier to shoot under negligent discharge conditions, would be a likely conclusion. Fair to say?

All firearms require training with them to become proficient. Maybe the ease at which a Glock works, would dictate a little more safety training? In my classes, it does. I require a dedicated holster that only fits Glocks, and I require they understand their finger could blow their leg clean off, if they mess up reholstering.

Personally, I prefer my Glocks with Safe T Bloks installed. Just me. Safe T Blok, and Glock Leg is almost impossible.

Old 07-03-2013, 03:21 PM   #100

Quote:
Originally Posted by AR10
First Glock was over twenty years ago, gen 1

I own a gen 2 G20 twenty years, and yesterday purchased a Gen 3 G20.

Retired FFL dealer, current NRA CRSO, Certified Pistol Instructor.

Would you Glock people admit a Glock is easier to shoot, especially under stress, like in combat situations? Admit it or not, they are built to be easier to shoot, stay loaded longer, because of increased magazine size over many other handguns.

If they are easier to shoot, as Glock claims, and I agree with that premise, they also are easier to shoot under negligent discharge conditions, would be a likely conclusion. Fair to say?

All firearms require training with them to become proficient. Maybe the ease at which a Glock works, would dictate a little more safety training? In my classes, it does. I require a dedicated holster that only fits Glocks, and I require they understand their finger could blow their leg clean off, if they mess up reholstering.

Personally, I prefer my Glocks with Safe T Bloks installed. Just me. Safe T Blok, and Glock Leg is almost impossible.
Absolutely, 100% spot on.