Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   Concealed Carrying & Personal Protection (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f17/)
-   -   Why carry without bullet in the chamber? (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f17/why-carry-without-bullet-chamber-93169/)

Graniteman 07-01-2013 12:41 AM

Why carry without bullet in the chamber?

Okay so I know a lot of my friends that carry, but don't load a bullet into the chamber. I don't understand the point of carrying if your not ready to fire at all times. I always keep a bullet in the chamber. Is this a common thing to not keep a bullet chambered when carrying?

therewolf 07-01-2013 01:08 AM

Perhaps if it were Beirut, this caution

might be necessary. But it isn't.

IT IS, however, a free country, and as

such, when at home, and in many low-level

threat situations, I carry without one in the tube.

I don't hesitate to carry cocked and locked,

when at a filling station at night, or in snake

and gator territory, but I've never had a ND/AD, either.

jedibiker 07-01-2013 01:23 AM

It could be a comfort level, not wanting an accidental discharge, but I'm not a fan. I always carry the same way, with one in the pipe. I want it to ALWAYS be the same. I don't want to hesitate, trying to recall if its loaded. There is enough to focus on in any situation involving pulling a firearm, without adding an extra step of racking the gun.

davva360 07-01-2013 01:31 AM

Agree with Jedi. The main thing is to always carry the same way.

Personally I always carry with one in the chamber. I would not want the extra opportunity for something to go wrong that racking the slide could be.

Rick1967 07-01-2013 01:34 AM

I agree with Jedibiker. Pick a carry method and stick with it. When you need to defend your life and your gun just goes "click" well, it does't get much worse than that. I carry one in the chamber. If someone wants to have it empty I understand. But I don't switch back and forth.

JosephMD 07-01-2013 01:38 AM

Arragh, backspace, had a nice post but lost it. The point was, being ready has more to do with how you train to handle your firearm in whatever configuration you carry it in than the configuration itself.

Axxe55 07-01-2013 01:41 AM

an empty chamber equals a two pound club. not a good thing.

what if one hand or arm was injured, or having to use your free hand to fend off the threat? only leaves one to pull and shoot with, and if you're not chambered, you could be in trouble.

vincent 07-01-2013 01:47 AM

I think it's a personal preference...

The same as what, where and how you want to carry...:cool:

deadsp0t 07-01-2013 01:54 AM

I carry un-chambered 99% of the time.. If I'm in the woods(fishing or shooting I'm chambered) if I need to stop after work, after midnight I'm chambered. These things rarely happen.

I look at gun ownership and carrying a lot like riding a motorcycle, lots practice and 100% focus and attention. If one does not have the attention span or wit to remember whether or not he's chambered then perhaps.. Well..

I try hard to practice what I preach, making routine of carrying.. Like stated above, choose what makes you feel comfortable, learn it, practice it, live it..

I refuse to live in a world of 'ifs and buts'
My father always says 'if ifs and but were candy and nuts, oh what a Christmas it would be...'

gr8oldguy 07-01-2013 04:02 AM

I carry with one in the chamber with the safety on. In a stressful threat situation, I'd be concerned about keeping my wits about me enough to chamber a round.