Where to Keep my Home Protection Pistol. - Page 7
You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of FirearmsTalk.com!    
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Concealed Carrying & Personal Protection >

Where to Keep my Home Protection Pistol.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-27-2013, 03:36 AM   #61
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 2451 Times on 1342 Posts
Likes Given: 336

This thread keeps going in complete circles...

I don't get it. We grew up around guns and never had problems. My kids are growing up around them and they don't have problems... Like Trip said earlier, Education Experience and Discipline are the best way to make sure your kids are safe around guns. If you have them, they are going to come into contact with them anyway. If it's encouraged then they know to come to you when they get curious.

Last edited by DeltaF; 11-27-2013 at 03:40 AM.
hawkguy Likes This 
Old 11-27-2013, 03:38 AM   #62
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 5738 Times on 3362 Posts
Likes Given: 4877

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeltaF
If the circles were incomplete, they would just be C's.

Old 11-27-2013, 03:53 AM   #63

Liked 3248 Times on 1941 Posts
Likes Given: 2347

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeltaF View Post

I don't get it. We grew up around guns and never had problems. My kids are growing up around them and they don't have problems... Like Trip said earlier, Education Experience and Discipline are the best way to make sure your kids are safe around guns. If you have them, they are going to come into contact with them anyway. If it's encouraged then they know to come to you when they get curious.
completely true. but not the "end all" answer. as a parent, you must educate AND protect your children. not just gun safety/security....but in all regards.

but I agree. you do need to eliminate the curiosity factor. my kids see guns all the time when I am around to monitor. if i'm not around, they don't have access.

circle complete. next post start over.....
Axxe55 Likes This 
Old 11-27-2013, 04:01 AM   #64
The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

Liked 22308 Times on 12476 Posts
Likes Given: 53672

Quote:
Originally Posted by hawkguy View Post
completely true. but not the "end all" answer. as a parent, you must educate AND protect your children. not just gun safety/security....but in all regards.

but I agree. you do need to eliminate the curiosity factor. my kids see guns all the time when I am around to monitor. if i'm not around, they don't have access.

circle complete. next post start over.....
well this thread may seem like it's going in circles and maybe in some ways it is. but what about those new to guns that have children and are looking for ideas and suggestions on how they can defend their families, but keep their guns safe from their children.

so IMO, this thread is important and serves a purpose that hopefully we can help someone that needs suggestions to safe their guns.

i am a big proponent of guns for SD/HD purposes, but also that the priority of the safety of children in the home is critical and foremost when doing so.
People Like This 
Old 11-27-2013, 04:27 AM   #65
FAA licensed bugsmasher
FTF_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Liked 2474 Times on 1326 Posts
Likes Given: 879

We don't have children, but we do have young nieces and nephews stopping by often. I used to keep my pistol in the nightstand drawer. Now I keep it in a biometric case in the nightstand drawer.

Quote:
If you're not representing Jesus in a way that makes people want to hang out with you, you're doing it wrong.
Quote:
Those who refuse to participate in politics shall be governed by their inferiors. -Plato
Join the NRA

Old 11-27-2013, 06:25 AM   #66

Liked 1139 Times on 730 Posts
Likes Given: 246

Which came first, the chicken or the egg?

When it comes to guns and safes, the safe comes first.

No guns, look to buy a safe, then look at a gun or several to store in it (or them if you have several safes)

Have gun (s) now, and no safe? My advice to that person would be to get the cart from in front of the horse, and go get a safe. Can't afford a proper gun safe? Then you cannot afford a gun.

Wal-Mart cabinets of the stack on variety are not adequate. A real honest to goodness gun safe. I prefer jewelry grade safes, pawnbroker safes, post office grade safes. Those are UL rated for fire and tool resistance.

Last edited by AR10; 11-27-2013 at 06:29 AM.

Old 11-27-2013, 12:10 PM   #67

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by orangello View Post
^^^ Agreed with the two above. My Dad got it across to me the first day I had my first .22 bolt action rifle, my first non-BB rifle. I opened it; he explained the sights and how to open and close the bolt; we took it out in the yard for me to try out; I killed a squirrel. When that squirrel hit the ground and bounced like the dead meat it was, I realized what a rifle could do. I assume that was the plan; either way, the dog had a nice Christmas breakfast after I skinned it out.
Later.. bout a year or so I recieved a .410 bolt action with rifled barrel.
Still proud of that one today..
I have embarassed a few loudmouths at rifle range against formidible 30-30s and other lever action rifles. Thats with slugs of course..
I was 13 wben i got that one so it has plenty of scuffs and scrubs..
Now if my wife can manage to produce somethhing other than smelly girls... i will be able to pass it along..

Old 11-27-2013, 12:45 PM   #68
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 3729 Times on 2286 Posts
Likes Given: 1224

Quote:
Originally Posted by AR10 View Post
Which came first, the chicken or the egg?

When it comes to guns and safes, the safe comes first.

No guns, look to buy a safe, then look at a gun or several to store in it (or them if you have several safes)

Have gun (s) now, and no safe? My advice to that person would be to get the cart from in front of the horse, and go get a safe. Can't afford a proper gun safe? Then you cannot afford a gun.

Wal-Mart cabinets of the stack on variety are not adequate. A real honest to goodness gun safe. I prefer jewelry grade safes, pawnbroker safes, post office grade safes. Those are UL rated for fire and tool resistance.
I don't disagree with having a safe if an individual thinks its necessary for their life. It is certainly not a negative thing by any stretch.

However to say that every single gun owner, cart blanc, should have a gun safe is a bit of a stretch. Currently in my life a pistol safe ls sufficient. I have long find which do not need to be locked up right now.

When my kids get older I'll get a legit safe. Until then, one isn't necessary. If my guns get stolen, then I'll replace them. I only have two long guns that I have any emotional attachment to. And if I lose those, life will go on. If any guns are stolen I will report the theft to the police and replace the gun when I get the funds.

A gun safe ls not practical nor even necessary for me right now. And I believe that's true for most gun owners if they are single or have small kids. ((My long guns are kept high up on the wall, out of the reach of my two year old))
Old 11-27-2013, 01:02 PM   #69
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 791 Times on 525 Posts

Here in NC you must sign off on a State form declaring that if you have children in the house the gun(s) will be secured and kept away from them. If something happens they can then really hang you later. If only from a liability standpoint, you should have some form of adequate safe. Then if you choose to educate your kids, and allow them access that's your call. But at least you can lock them up if and when you have guests, parties or are not around. I know, we all carry all our guns all the time. Right. Where are all out firearms when we're hospitalized, flying or at a school event? Just budget for a good safe. You'll use it at some point. And if you buy one big enough it will hold your ammo, guns, gold, silver, documents etc. You can even put your wife 's jewelry in it when you travel. I got a decent safe at Dick's last winter for $399. I think it is a 16 gun safe. Now I wish I had bought a bigger one.

Old 11-27-2013, 01:08 PM   #70

Liked 1139 Times on 730 Posts
Likes Given: 246

There is one other gun freedom country in the world today. In some ways, their laws are better than ours as far as freedoms in gun circles go.

Before you can purchase a home, you have to purchase two items, in this order.

Gun safe

Full auto rifle.

There is no military to speak of like we think of a military force, homeowners make up the brunt of the arms to protect the country.