Where to Keep my Home Protection Pistol. - Page 6
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Concealed Carrying & Personal Protection > Where to Keep my Home Protection Pistol.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-26-2013, 01:32 AM   #51
Table of Warriors Placeholder
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 6817 Times on 3722 Posts
Likes Given: 13416

Quote:
Originally Posted by John_Deer

And one of these will bust the latch off a range/oven in seconds. I have split some healthy rocks and stumps with a couple strikes of a maul.
Darn criminals are always a step ahead...

No offense and none taken (̿▀̿ ̿Ĺ̯̿̿▀̿ ̿)̄

Old 11-26-2013, 02:30 PM   #52

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by rman598 View Post
I agree that the MOST important thing is to educate your children. But up until a certain age(maybe 10) I would make sure to keep guns locked if not have ammo hidden just in case. But making sure a kid doesnt end up shooting themselves with a gun is more important then keeping a gun next to you incase of a robbery. If you don't trust your kid, lock it up. Id rather take the chances of being unarmed if a robber breaks in than having a tragic firearms accident.
Im not sure whats up with kids these days. I had firearms in my bedroom with ammo at the age of 9. I was well aware of gun safety.. and NEVER ONCE even tthought about taking one to school or even playing with them..
A single shot 20 gauge and a 22cal were christmas gifts because i loved to go squirell and rabbit hunting.. But nowadays it seems as if it is in kids mind by default to meddle mischeiviously with guns..
Of course im from the southern states.
Hunting and fishing are simply a way of life for us... i dont know. Wish i did.

Old 11-26-2013, 04:38 PM   #53

Liked 345 Times on 221 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by thejudge410
Im not sure whats up with kids these days. I had firearms in my bedroom with ammo at the age of 9. I was well aware of gun safety.. and NEVER ONCE even tthought about taking one to school or even playing with them.. A single shot 20 gauge and a 22cal were christmas gifts because i loved to go squirell and rabbit hunting.. But nowadays it seems as if it is in kids mind by default to meddle mischeiviously with guns.. Of course im from the southern states. Hunting and fishing are simply a way of life for us... i dont know. Wish i did.
I think one of the biggest reasons most kids that are involved in a firearms related accident have them happen is because curiosity. The reason their curious is because their told that even though dad or gramps own a billion and one guns, their bad and you should never ever touch them. As a kid when I was simply told "don't touch that it's bad" I always wondered why it was bad, but when I was told it was fine or allowed to "inspect" things, even while being watched, I didn't have that urge to go and try to find out what makes something so bad that I'm never allowed to touch it yet everyone seems to have one.
Old 11-26-2013, 07:08 PM   #54

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaido View Post

I think one of the biggest reasons most kids that are involved in a firearms related accident have them happen is because curiosity. The reason their curious is because their told that even though dad or gramps own a billion and one guns, their bad and you should never ever touch them. As a kid when I was simply told "don't touch that it's bad" I always wondered why it was bad, but when I was told it was fine or allowed to "inspect" things, even while being watched, I didn't have that urge to go and try to find out what makes something so bad that I'm never allowed to touch it yet everyone seems to have one.
Well stated.. I think you nailed it.
My dad and uncles rather enjoyed showing thier guns to me... much to mommas dismay, but were like "here check tbis out".. and here little mike, shoot this".... after feeling a single shot shotgun against my small shoulder witg no padding i knew damn well that thing was dangerous...
Thanks for the response..

Old 11-26-2013, 07:38 PM   #55
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 5732 Times on 3358 Posts
Likes Given: 4877

^^^ Agreed with the two above. My Dad got it across to me the first day I had my first .22 bolt action rifle, my first non-BB rifle. I opened it; he explained the sights and how to open and close the bolt; we took it out in the yard for me to try out; I killed a squirrel. When that squirrel hit the ground and bounced like the dead meat it was, I realized what a rifle could do. I assume that was the plan; either way, the dog had a nice Christmas breakfast after I skinned it out.

Dead Bears, the only good kind.

Old 11-26-2013, 10:13 PM   #56

Liked 385 Times on 221 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by orangello View Post
^^^ Agreed with the two above. My Dad got it across to me the first day I had my first .22 bolt action rifle, my first non-BB rifle. I opened it; he explained the sights and how to open and close the bolt; we took it out in the yard for me to try out; I killed a squirrel. When that squirrel hit the ground and bounced like the dead meat it was, I realized what a rifle could do. I assume that was the plan; either way, the dog had a nice Christmas breakfast after I skinned it out.
I hope to give my kid a Christmas just like that some day.

Old 11-26-2013, 10:18 PM   #57

Liked 493 Times on 303 Posts
Likes Given: 1621

Quote:
Originally Posted by FernandoTheCommando View Post
One day. Right now, I'm happy our bills are paid and there is a little left over for gifts

Sent by my homing pigeon that suffers from severe social anxiety.

Quote:
Originally Posted by skullcrusher View Post
Yea, um, Darin...that's in the Double Secret Bunker. :p
Quote:
Originally Posted by orangello View Post
Hookers and optics, cheap is usually a warning.

www.loryno.com

Old 11-26-2013, 10:45 PM   #58
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 5732 Times on 3358 Posts
Likes Given: 4877

Quote:
Originally Posted by FernandoTheCommando View Post
It was my favorite Christmas gift ever. It is in the very back of my gunsafe, kinda hidden in a shadow for extra safety.

Don't worry about spending a ton on that first .22 to impress the kid; I found out yeeeeears later that mine was a second hand youth model bought from a family friend. I found out when my brother-in-law realized that it was also one of the rifles he learned to shoot on (BIL is a little older than me) and that his uncle? was the family friend. I killed many, many treerats with that thing and .22 short hollow points; eye shots became a point of pride.

If one of my nephews has a male child, I will probably pass it that way.

Dead Bears, the only good kind.

Axxe55 Likes This 
Old 11-27-2013, 12:20 AM   #59

Liked 2723 Times on 1595 Posts
Likes Given: 1733

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmorrow781 View Post
I am new to owning weapons. I have a GP100 357/38 sp. and a Ruger Mark II.
I have them in a locked case in my closet right now. My concerns are 1) I have children and I want them locked but I also want the 357 easily accessed for home defense. 2) Keeping them in my closet seems like the ideal place for a burglar to see the case and just take my guns easily if there was ever a break in and we were not home. I guess I am just fishing for advice on where I can keep my home defense gun. My thought was to obviously have a larger gun safe but I just can't afford one right now. Any suggestions?

Thanks
imo RULE #1 if you have kids: BE AWARE OF WHERE THEY ARE!

if you keep a loaded SD firearm in your bedroom for example (high and out of reach), do not allow children to enter your bedroom, and know where your children are.....if you don't they may be playing with fire, knives, or one of MANY other things which could injure or kill them.

key lock boxes can be bought cheap and bolted down. when you leave the house, lock it up in a small lockbox. this takes a few seconds tops. keep the key to the box on your personal key ring. it will become habit faster than you imagine.
Old 11-27-2013, 03:31 AM   #60
The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

Liked 21314 Times on 12091 Posts
Likes Given: 53110

Quote:
Originally Posted by hawkguy View Post
imo RULE #1 if you have kids: BE AWARE OF WHERE THEY ARE!

if you keep a loaded SD firearm in your bedroom for example (high and out of reach), do not allow children to enter your bedroom, and know where your children are.....if you don't they may be playing with fire, knives, or one of MANY other things which could injure or kill them.

key lock boxes can be bought cheap and bolted down. when you leave the house, lock it up in a small lockbox. this takes a few seconds tops. keep the key to the box on your personal key ring. it will become habit faster than you imagine.
^^^^^This!^^^^^

if you have children, your methods of securing your firearms is much differnet than those like me with no children in the house.

i will add onto Hawkguy's comments as to suggest a biometric gun safe. my brother has one that he keeps his SD/HD pistol next to his nightstand. he or his wife can access it, but his daughters can't.
hawkguy Likes This