Where to Keep my Home Protection Pistol. - Page 4
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Concealed Carrying & Personal Protection > Where to Keep my Home Protection Pistol.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-19-2013, 05:46 PM   #31
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 3726 Times on 2283 Posts
Likes Given: 1224

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeltaF View Post
As I have already stated, most burglars avoid firearms because stealing the firearm elevates their charge to violent or aggravated in most states.
I have to wonder how many burglars actually are aware of that though?

Always have clean socks.

Old 09-19-2013, 06:55 PM   #32
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2041 Times on 1068 Posts
Likes Given: 392

Quote:
Originally Posted by JW357
That's exactly how I plan on teaching my kids about guns when they're a tiny bit older (one is almost two, the other was just born). Introduce them to it and let them handle it and whatnot, so there's no curiosity. Teach them the rules and even show them what guns can do (via a watermelon or something). Take away the curiosity and there won't be a problem as long as the kids in question are mature enough for such things. Basically I believe if most children were taught about guns from an early age, there would be less of a stigma against guns when they become adults. If certain gun-grabbing politicians had been positively introduced at an early age, they might not be trying to take everyone's guns away.
Important note as father of four fine sons:

Just because they are old enough to mind does not mean they have good judgement. In many states it is either a felony or a misdemeanor to leave unsecured firearms with kids in the home. I don't know why anyone would want to tempt fate. You can think you know what your kids are going to do (or what their friends are going to do) but kids are always full if surprises.

Weigh your priorities carefully. I have handguns, rifles, shotguns, ARs.....I can get to them quick enough and I don't have to kid myself with 'MY kids wouldn't mess with those guns'. Famous last words.

Old 09-19-2013, 08:40 PM   #33
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 5733 Times on 3359 Posts
Likes Given: 4877

Quote:
...As far as all these ugly little safes people keep posting about, in a burglary I've seen people rip those small safes off of nightstands and drag them off hoping there's cash or jewelry inside. They don't bother breaking into the safe when they're there, they just take the whole thing and roll out. Then you lose your gun AND an expensive ugly bedside safe. And if you bolted it to your nightstand you lose the nightstand too when they gouge and rip it to pieces breaking the safe loose on the way out.
Quote:
Originally Posted by orangello View Post
This is my sister's logic in never locking her car. Some kid broke her jeep window once to get something from the jeep. She had to buy a window that cost much more than the items taken. Now she usually just leaves her car unlocked.

I can't get with that logic. I will make the thief work for their loot, even if they make a mess in the process. I also keep a very low deductible on my "comprehensive" part of my car insurance that covers break-ins.
Quote:
That's putting words in my mouth. My point is not "leave your guns in plain sight and leave your car unlocked." My point is if its burglary your concerned with, "find a better solution." A small safe in plain sight by your bed for a gun is worse than placing the gun itself in plain sight. The criminal might not want the gun. But no matter what he's looking for a safe screams "valuables" and a PORTABLE safe screams "steal me and have fun busting me open at home later."
Thank you for explaining your previous post. I did not "put words in your mouth"; I was simply taking your words at face value. You didn't initially include the "find a better solution" part. Your explanation was much more explanatory.

My full-sized (for me) fun safe is within steps of my bed, but it would be a bit of a cumbersome challenge for the thief wanting to up their sentence & charges by adding firearms to the take. When I lived in Memphis, we had one robbery at a house I shared with some friends; I lost one video cassette that was in the VCR they stole. The police took the report from one of my roommates, over the phone; they didn't seem interested in stopping by until he mentioned the thieves also took two pistols from him (nice .357 and an old single action .45 from dude's grandfather), after the mention of the firearms the police were anxious to come by. It appeared to have been either children or a reeeeeally far-gone crackhead (change, crappy portable electronics, linens, etc.). Luckily my bedroom was secure and less obvious and so was left untouched...I do wish I had that tape though, season 1 & 2 of Southpark home-taped.

Dead Bears, the only good kind.

Old 09-19-2013, 10:09 PM   #34
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 3726 Times on 2283 Posts
Likes Given: 1224

Quote:
Originally Posted by orangello View Post
Thank you for explaining your previous post. ... Your explanation was much more explanatory.
So it fulfilled its purpose?

Always have clean socks.

orangello Likes This 
Old 09-19-2013, 10:44 PM   #35
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2200 Times on 1218 Posts
Likes Given: 280

Quote:
Originally Posted by JW357

I have to wonder how many burglars actually are aware of that though?
Most of the criminals I've been around know the penalties for the different statutes better than the average person. All it takes is for one friend, uncle, cousin, nephew etc. to catch 10 years because he picked up a gun on the way out the door when he would be getting 2 years and credit for time served if he'd just left with the other loot and the word is OUT.

Some don't know, or are cocky and don't care. But most are acutely aware of what will get them the steepest penalty if they are caught. And avoid things that will get them "hard time."

Nobody said anything.....about Glocks until you posted about your bacon dog who needs dentures.

What did somebody forget to engage their safety and shoot the dogs front teeth out? Or are we blaming that on the Glock shooters?

"Gaston, the Doggy dentist's best friend."

Last edited by DeltaF; 09-19-2013 at 10:52 PM.

Old 09-19-2013, 10:56 PM   #36
The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

Liked 21584 Times on 12248 Posts
Likes Given: 53672

Quote:
Originally Posted by trip286 View Post
I'm going to share my experiences with kids and guns, and they by no means apply to everyone.

My "home protection" pistol is my "self protection" pistol. It's on my side, or within arms reach at all times, except when I'm at work. Even at work, I'm still armed, just not with a gun. It's a knife and a fire hydrant wrench...

My son is 7. I've been able to trust him around guns since he was at least 5, maybe earlier. At first, he was more afraid of daddy's belt than the gun, should he be caught messing around with it. But, as he got older, I began educating him a little more than just "Don't Touch!!", and now he understands that my guns are not toys, and he's simply not big enough to handle them on his own.

He's been desensitized pretty much, through total immersion in gun culture. I take him to gun shows, pawn shops, ranges, anywhere we're allowed to go together. And if we aren't (if HE'S not) allowed in, we go somewhere else.

He makes people stand in awe as he field strips 1911's at gun dealer's tables, and my favorite store's owner likes to randomly hand him guns and say, "can you figure this one out?" then we stand back and watch him mess with it until he's figured out the "manual of arms" for that particular gun, how it works, and how to operate it. He knows the muzzle velocity of an M16, mostly because his mind is like a steel trap. He asked me, "how fast does a bullet come out of an M16?" so I told him, "about 3100 feet per second." And he told all his classmates, his teacher, and his principal. He knows how to check that the soldering on a double barrel is still good. He knows how bolt action rifles work, semi autos, revolvers (DA and SA), and a couple of semi auto pistols.

A few days ago, I left my 1911 sitting on my desk at work, (against my work regs) where he was doing some artsy stuff (he was drawing pictures of bomber jets). I did some work around the office, and knew damn well that he would not even touch my loaded 1911. Sure enough, he didn't. Later, I let him work on my slide stop. He filed the hard corners off for me so that it would holster easier.

Education, education, education... exposure, exposure, exposure...
If a gun has no "mystique", there is little to no interest in playing around with it. This has been my experience, and certainly is not a one size fits all tactic.
Trip, well said!

this was pretty much the same approach my father took with my brother an i when we were growing up. i never even owned a BB or pellet gun. the first ones my brother an i owned were 22's and 20 ga's!

our father took the time to educate us and to teach us to respect the power of guns. we grew up in a household where guns were never locked up and they were never handled unless we had permission when we were first learning. after we showed responsiblity with the guns, we were allowed to use them as we saw fit. many times we carried our shotguns with us when clearing brush or building fences, in case we ran across snakes or whatever. sometimes we might carry the 22's in case we wanted to take a break and do some squirrel hunting!

Trip, i will say this much, your son is going to be years ahead of most kids his age when it comes to firearms!
Old 09-19-2013, 11:54 PM   #37

Liked 25 Times on 19 Posts
Likes Given: 7

Just a quick search shows someone is stealing some guns out there

http://www.bjs.gov/content/pub/press/fshbopc0510pr.cfm

"Handguns were the most commonly stolen firearm from 2005 through 2010. At least one handgun was stolen in 63 percent of household burglaries and 68 percent of other property crimes involving firearm theft. More than one gun was stolen in 39 percent of burglaries and 15 percent of other property crimes involving gun theft."

Glenn
FAS1SAFE

Old 09-20-2013, 04:16 AM   #38
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2200 Times on 1218 Posts
Likes Given: 280

Quote:
Originally Posted by FAS1
Just a quick search shows someone is stealing some guns out there

http://www.bjs.gov/content/pub/press/fshbopc0510pr.cfm

"Handguns were the most commonly stolen firearm from 2005 through 2010. At least one handgun was stolen in 63 percent of household burglaries and 68 percent of other property crimes involving firearm theft. More than one gun was stolen in 39 percent of burglaries and 15 percent of other property crimes involving gun theft."
You missed the paragraph above that one.

"From 2005 through 2010, firearms were stolen in about four percent of the 2.4 million household burglaries and in less than one percent of the 13.6 million other property crimes involving a completed theft that occurred during the period. Longer trends from 1994 to 2010 show a 49 percent decline in the total number of victimizations involving the theft of at least one firearm, from about 283,600 victimizations in 1994 to about 145,300 in 2010."

In other words according to NCVS ONLY FOUR PERCENT of burglaries and ONLY ONE PERCENT of other property crimes involve a stolen firearm.

Actually I would have thought it was a little more common, but maybe that's because people are more likely to report a burglary/theft if it involves a firearm. The victimization survey doesn't just encompass LEO submitted statistics from what I remember. It involves information from victims and they can report other crimes as well in the survey that haven't been reported to LEO.

The statistic you quoted basically states that of those four/one percent of stolen firearms, 63/68 percent were handguns, the remaining 37/32 percent would have been long guns.

And that 49% decrease starting after 94? That's when the firearms laws I discussed earlier began to come into play. Harsher penalties for crimes involving firearms=the BG leaving that gun on the counter or in the closet and taking the pills, cash, TV etc. instead.

Lead it to the guv'mint to have a whole bureau responsible for interpreting crime statistics to the general public, and yet still be unable to put it in language that the average reader can understand.

Like I keep saying: a criminal probably won't steal a gun in a burglary. But he'll steal an ugly little safe off your nightstand in a heartbeat.

Edit: EEK! Spotted an egregious spelling and grammar error and had to fix it.

Nobody said anything.....about Glocks until you posted about your bacon dog who needs dentures.

What did somebody forget to engage their safety and shoot the dogs front teeth out? Or are we blaming that on the Glock shooters?

"Gaston, the Doggy dentist's best friend."

Last edited by DeltaF; 10-18-2013 at 03:48 PM.

Old 10-13-2013, 11:53 PM   #39

Liked 25 Times on 20 Posts
Likes Given: 5

I would get a biometric fingerprint safe. I picked a double shelf safe up w/ fingerprint scanner, number keypad and back up key lock for $200 after shipping on ebay.....it weighs about 35 to 50 pounds and can be bolted to the floor if you choose. I keep 7 handeguns in it. You can by smaller ones for $100-$200 with the same features on Ebay. Easy to keep anyone out of them that you don't want in them, including burglars or kids, yet you can get your own weapons out about 2-3 seconds.

Smith & Wesson 30-1
Taurus Model 85
EAA Windicator
Mossberg 500
Winchester 1400 MK II
Marlin 60
Sccy CPX-2
Ruger Target 22/45 MKIII
DPMS Oracle AR-15

Previous Firearms:
Hi-Point JHP
Sccy CPX-2