Where to Keep my Home Protection Pistol. - Page 2
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Concealed Carrying & Personal Protection > Where to Keep my Home Protection Pistol.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-03-2013, 08:56 AM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 47 Times on 33 Posts

Yeah, I would go with the MicroVault, if the big concern is just keeping it out of your kids hands. If you have a nightstand you could bolt it on a bottom shelf(if it had shelves) that way it's right next to your bed with a fast opening access if you need it. Here is a small one, that is relatively inexpensive:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B000TG9RCC/ref=mp_s_a_1_1?qid=1378194830&sr=8-1&pi=SL75

This one even has the holes on the bottom so you can mount it wherever you want.

Old 09-03-2013, 11:09 AM   #12
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 3862 Times on 2305 Posts
Likes Given: 3233

84 dollars is not bad. I would get one if they were legal for storage over here.

Old 09-04-2013, 02:01 AM   #13

Liked 43 Times on 31 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by JW357

Why would you suggest he sells his home defense gun to make money to buy a gun safe and not have a home defense weapon to put in it?

That makes less than no sense.

Or did you mean the MKII?
I did mean the MKII, sorry..

Old 09-04-2013, 02:03 AM   #14
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 3726 Times on 2283 Posts
Likes Given: 1224

Quote:
Originally Posted by glocknloaded

I did mean the MKII, sorry..
Well that makes more sense haha.

I still don't advocate selling a firearm (when you only have two handguns and they're both good handguns) to fund a large safe. Especially a good pinker like that.

Always have clean socks.

Old 09-04-2013, 05:41 AM   #15

Liked 43 Times on 31 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:

Well that makes more sense haha.

I still don't advocate selling a firearm (when you only have two handguns and they're both good handguns) to fund a large safe. Especially a good pinker like that.
With having a little one in the house I just like having my big safe bolted down. There are some really smoking deals out there right now so I just threw it out there.

All a matter of preference

Old 09-06-2013, 07:26 AM   #16
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 42 Times on 23 Posts
Likes Given: 53

Keep it on your person until bedtime. Then put it in a bedside safe.

I have a 4-year-old, and my gun goes into a biometric safe that lives on my bedside table. I like the fingerprint reader because it provides quick access, and my kid can't guess the combination. It's not meant to defeat burglars. If there's a burglar in the house and I'm away, the gun is with me and the safe is empty. If there's a burglar in my house when I'm home, the gun is in my hand.

"An armed society is a polite society." — Robert A. Heinlein

"After a shooting spree, they always want to take the guns away from the people who didn't do it. I sure as hell wouldn't want to live in a society where the only people allowed guns are the police and the military."
— William S. Burroughs

Old 09-16-2013, 12:50 AM   #17
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2415 Times on 1331 Posts
Likes Given: 333

I must be missing something here... whats wrong with a drawer by the bed? Under the mattress? In a holster hanging behind the headboard? Under a pillow? The top shelf of a closet under a blanket? There's plenty of ways to keep a gun and kids cohabitated safely without expensive ugly bedside safes.

My kids learn about guns before they learn their letters. Even if they found one of mine hidden somewhere they wouldn't touch it. They have plenty of opportunities to handle them when I'm around. No curiosity, no motivation, any time they want to mess with one they ask and I always say "yes" or "in just a minute" and make time for them.

The mother in law freaked once because I left one on the kitchen table while I was cleaning it (went down the hall to grab a tool). She went to move it and the kids told her "if you touch that and daddy's not here you will die." and "Nobody touches Daddy's guns without him." She picked it up anyway and they ran down the hall screaming for me at the top of their lungs, they were furious with her for hours. I egged it on since it was the mother in law . I trust them but they haven't found anything I wanted to keep hidden so its a non issue.

"...it is ...ALIVE!!!"

People Like This 
Old 09-16-2013, 01:45 AM   #18
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 3726 Times on 2283 Posts
Likes Given: 1224

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeltaF
I must be missing something here... whats wrong with a drawer by the bed? Under the mattress? In a holster hanging behind the headboard? Under a pillow? The top shelf of a closet under a blanket? There's plenty of ways to keep a gun and kids cohabitated safely without expensive ugly bedside safes.

My kids learn about guns before they learn their letters. Even if they found one of mine hidden somewhere they wouldn't touch it. They have plenty of opportunities to handle them when I'm around. No curiosity, no motivation, any time they want to mess with one they ask and I always say "yes" or "in just a minute" and make time for them.

The mother in law freaked once because I left one on the kitchen table while I was cleaning it (went down the hall to grab a tool). She went to move it and the kids told her "if you touch that and daddy's not here you will die." and "Nobody touches Daddy's guns without him." She picked it up anyway and they ran down the hall screaming for me at the top of their lungs, they were furious with her for hours. I egged it on since it was the mother in law . I trust them but they haven't found anything I wanted to keep hidden so its a non issue.
That's exactly how I plan on teaching my kids about guns when they're a tiny bit older (one is almost two, the other was just born). Introduce them to it and let them handle it and whatnot, so there's no curiosity. Teach them the rules and even show them what guns can do (via a watermelon or something). Take away the curiosity and there won't be a problem as long as the kids in question are mature enough for such things.

Basically I believe if most children were taught about guns from an early age, there would be less of a stigma against guns when they become adults. If certain gun-grabbing politicians had been positively introduced at an early age, they might not be trying to take everyone's guns away.

Always have clean socks.

texaswoodworker Likes This 
Old 09-16-2013, 04:49 AM   #19
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2415 Times on 1331 Posts
Likes Given: 333

Quote:

That's exactly how I plan on teaching my kids about guns when they're a tiny bit older (one is almost two, the other was just born). Introduce them to it and let them handle it and whatnot, so there's no curiosity. Teach them the rules and even show them what guns can do (via a watermelon or something). Take away the curiosity and there won't be a problem as long as the kids in question are mature enough for such things.

Basically I believe if most children were taught about guns from an early age, there would be less of a stigma against guns when they become adults. If certain gun-grabbing politicians had been positively introduced at an early age, they might not be trying to take everyone's guns away.
Good plan. Dont wait though! My little girl got her start helping me load mags as soon as she could count to 3 and pick up bullets without eating them. She calls them "gun batteries."

"...it is ...ALIVE!!!"

texaswoodworker Likes This 
Old 09-16-2013, 02:50 PM   #20

Liked 29 Times on 23 Posts
Likes Given: 12

Something like this will provide reasonable security (7GA Steel) when bolted to something solid. Could be the bedframe, nightstand, or even better anchored to the floor. Has room for your MKII laying to the right side (gas spring is on the left to open the door).

Glenn
FAS1SAFE

MoHawk Likes This