Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   Concealed Carrying & Personal Protection (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f17/)
-   -   Where to Keep my Home Protection Pistol. (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f17/where-keep-my-home-protection-pistol-96472/)

cmorrow781 09-03-2013 03:44 AM

Where to Keep my Home Protection Pistol.
 
I am new to owning weapons. I have a GP100 357/38 sp. and a Ruger Mark II.
I have them in a locked case in my closet right now. My concerns are 1) I have children and I want them locked but I also want the 357 easily accessed for home defense. 2) Keeping them in my closet seems like the ideal place for a burglar to see the case and just take my guns easily if there was ever a break in and we were not home. I guess I am just fishing for advice on where I can keep my home defense gun. My thought was to obviously have a larger gun safe but I just can't afford one right now. Any suggestions?

Thanks

Axxe55 09-03-2013 03:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cmorrow781 (Post 1356289)
I am new to owning weapons. I have a GP100 357/38 sp. and a Ruger Mark II.
I have them in a locked case in my closet right now. My concerns are 1) I have children and I want them locked but I also want the 357 easily accessed for home defense. 2) Keeping them in my closet seems like the ideal place for a burglar to see the case and just take my guns easily if there was ever a break in and we were not home. I guess I am just fishing for advice on where I can keep my home defense gun. My thought was to obviously have a larger gun safe but I just can't afford one right now. Any suggestions?

Thanks

best suggestion is one of the biometric pistol gun safes. they allow you fast access to you pistol and can be programmed to whomever you wish to have access. they are not too terribly expensive. my brother has one, because he has two young daughters.

Rick1967 09-03-2013 03:55 AM

I have a cheap safe I bought at harbor freight for something like $29. It is bolted to the shelf in my closet. It would not stop a determined burglar. But it would stop the kids.

I also have night stands that have a hidden drawer inside of another drawer. If you don't already know it is there...you wouldn't find it. Very cool. I leave my carry gun in there at night. I take it with me every morning.

Rick1967 09-03-2013 03:58 AM

1 Attachment(s)
This is a link to the safe I have in my closet. You could put 3 or 4 handguns in it easily.

http://www.harborfreight.com/037-cubic-ft-electronic-digital-safe-93575.html

Anna_Purna 09-03-2013 03:59 AM

Then bolt it to the walls and or floor also

kaido 09-03-2013 04:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rick1967
This is a link to the safe I have in my closet. You could put 3 or 4 handguns in it easily.

http://www.harborfreight.com/037-cubic-ft-electronic-digital-safe-93575.html

Apparently those safes aren't the greatest. There's a video on YouTube where a guy breaks into it by simply smacking the top of it while turning the handle.

glocknloaded 09-03-2013 04:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cmorrow781
I am new to owning weapons. I have a GP100 357/38 sp. and a Ruger Mark II.
I have them in a locked case in my closet right now. My concerns are 1) I have children and I want them locked but I also want the 357 easily accessed for home defense. 2) Keeping them in my closet seems like the ideal place for a burglar to see the case and just take my guns easily if there was ever a break in and we were not home. I guess I am just fishing for advice on where I can keep my home defense gun. My thought was to obviously have a larger gun safe but I just can't afford one right now. Any suggestions?

Thanks

A larger gun safe can be hard to swing at times and I understand but I think it's extremely important. Maybe not a 24 gun but something solid that can be bolted down.

I did notice Walmart running a special on a 24 gun safe for 499.. Maybe worth selling the Ruger and having something safe that you can also grow into.

MisterMcCool 09-03-2013 04:58 AM

Keep that .357 on you and deadbolt the closet.

JW357 09-03-2013 05:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by glocknloaded

A larger gun safe can be hard to swing at times and I understand but I think it's extremely important. Maybe not a 24 gun but something solid that can be bolted down.

I did notice Walmart running a special on a 24 gun safe for 499.. Maybe worth selling the Ruger and having something safe that you can also grow into.

Why would you suggest he sells his home defense gun to make money to buy a gun safe and not have a home defense weapon to put in it?

That makes less than no sense.

Or did you mean the MKII?

JW357 09-03-2013 05:48 AM

OP, +1 for an easy bedside gun safe. You can bolt them down or latch them to your property in some way. That's what we currently use for our HD handguns. We also have kids. Here's mine. It won't stop a crook, as really no safe will if the BG is determined, but its good for kids.

http://www.midwayusa.com/product/583719/gunvault-deluxe-multivault-personal-electronic-safe-10-x-8-x-14-black

You could also get an in the wall safe and put a swinging out picture in front of it. They aren't too expensive. Just a quick example from a google search:

http://www.deansafe.com/stack-on-iwc-22-mid-sized-in-wall-cabinet-wall-safe.html

Personally I like the idea of hidden safes. I feel like if a robber doesn't think to look there he can't possibly steal it.


All times are GMT. The time now is 12:56 AM.

Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.