Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Concealed Carrying & Personal Protection > Where don't you carry?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-05-2012, 12:42 PM   #111
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 5

During the 70s, 80s and 90s, the DSA/DLA installation in Dayton Ohio where I used to work and the air force base in the same city did not prohibit guns. In fact, I got stopped twice for a random vehicle inspection. I had been to the skeet range both times and the guard saw my shotguns and ammo in the trunk, smiled and told me to go.
In 96, all us employees were transferred to another installation in Columbus Ohio. There was a sign on the gate PROHIBITING ALL FIREARMS (!), under threat of being FIRED. I asked every one for the remainder of the time I worked there but none of the base commanders knew why.
Since I was not willing to risk my upcoming pension, I was not willing to risk even having the gun in my lockup in the trunk.
I became friends with the guard at the reception desk in my building and found that he was also a detective in Columbus, in addition. He told me that on his first day at the new job, he went into the locker room with some of the other guards to put his uniform on. He removed his suit jacket and put it in the locker, removed his Glock/holster and put that in the locker. He put the uniform on and went to his assigned duty station. A short time later he got a fone call from the lieutenant, ordering him to come to his office. Long story short, lieutenant wrote him up for having a gun on base. He was told that not even cops could bring their guns onto the base !
At least he didn't get fired.

Old 12-06-2012, 04:57 AM   #112

Liked 279 Times on 243 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by gaspump86 View Post
The gun stores.
I always see that sign posted on gun store doors. I too always ignore it. Same as post offices. I figure as long as they're concealed no one will be the wiser.

Old 12-06-2012, 02:39 PM   #113

Liked 32 Times on 23 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeyondTheBox

I always see that sign posted on gun store doors. I too always ignore it. Same as post offices. I figure as long as they're concealed no one will be the wiser.
Those guys are armed and usually a little edgy with my age group.
If I bring a gun in my LGS its locked open and magazine removed. No ammo. To do business.

I caught one looking at my empty serpa on my belt when my shirt rode up on it.

Old 12-06-2012, 04:21 PM   #114

Likes Given: 27

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoGrrr View Post
During the 70s, 80s and 90s, the DSA/DLA installation in Dayton Ohio where I used to work and the air force base in the same city did not prohibit guns. In fact, I got stopped twice for a random vehicle inspection. I had been to the skeet range both times and the guard saw my shotguns and ammo in the trunk, smiled and told me to go.
In 96, all us employees were transferred to another installation in Columbus Ohio. There was a sign on the gate PROHIBITING ALL FIREARMS (!), under threat of being FIRED. I asked every one for the remainder of the time I worked there but none of the base commanders knew why.
Since I was not willing to risk my upcoming pension, I was not willing to risk even having the gun in my lockup in the trunk.
I became friends with the guard at the reception desk in my building and found that he was also a detective in Columbus, in addition. He told me that on his first day at the new job, he went into the locker room with some of the other guards to put his uniform on. He removed his suit jacket and put it in the locker, removed his Glock/holster and put that in the locker. He put the uniform on and went to his assigned duty station. A short time later he got a fone call from the lieutenant, ordering him to come to his office. Long story short, lieutenant wrote him up for having a gun on base. He was told that not even cops could bring their guns onto the base !
At least he didn't get fired.
I remember when they had those on a couple of bases I've been. Those signs were removed quite a few years ago - circa 2005-ish. At least, at Little Rock AFB, as well as a few others bases I've been to since or have friends who work at or recently Retired from. You can bring firearms on-base, but have to leave them unloaded and locked up. I go on-base irregularly anymore, but have gone often enough that I took the time to check on this prior to my Retirement in Sept 2011. Policy changed for the better, IMNSHO. It was something to do with folks who lived in base housing being authorized to have firearms and would sometimes get pulled over by Security Forces or stopped at the gate, get jacked up and have to explain everything to their CO, then be released.

In fact, LRAFB and a few other USAF bases are selling firearms in the Base Exchange and LRAFB was one of half a dozen test bases. Two of the five firearms I currently own were purchased there. My understanding is there are a number of US Army bases selling firearms now, as well.

"Zombies. Man, they freak me out."

Old 12-06-2012, 09:31 PM   #115

Liked 22 Times on 17 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Griffworks View Post
I remember when they had those on a couple of bases I've been. Those signs were removed quite a few years ago - circa 2005-ish. At least, at Little Rock AFB, as well as a few others bases I've been to since or have friends who work at or recently Retired from. You can bring firearms on-base, but have to leave them unloaded and locked up. I go on-base irregularly anymore, but have gone often enough that I took the time to check on this prior to my Retirement in Sept 2011. Policy changed for the better, IMNSHO. It was something to do with folks who lived in base housing being authorized to have firearms and would sometimes get pulled over by Security Forces or stopped at the gate, get jacked up and have to explain everything to their CO, then be released.

In fact, LRAFB and a few other USAF bases are selling firearms in the Base Exchange and LRAFB was one of half a dozen test bases. Two of the five firearms I currently own were purchased there. My understanding is there are a number of US Army bases selling firearms now, as well.
Wright Patterson AFB is also one selling them in the exchange. I have purchased ammo their put not a firearm (yet atleast).

Old 12-07-2012, 12:04 AM   #116

Quote:
Originally Posted by gaspump86 View Post

Those guys are armed and usually a little edgy with my age group.
If I bring a gun in my LGS its locked open and magazine removed. No ammo. To do business.

I caught one looking at my empty serpa on my belt when my shirt rode up on it.
If I'm bringing a gun to be worked on in the same, in case slide locked open. Otherwise I've got 2 to 3 on me concealed and I don't think twice. If you don't act suspicious or awkward they'll treat you so.

Old 12-07-2012, 02:24 AM   #117

Liked 4423 Times on 2145 Posts
Likes Given: 1312

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeyondTheBox View Post
I used to do ALOT of business with NW Armory in Milwaukie Oregon. Bought a half dozen firearms, cases, optics, ammo, and my safe from these guys.

About 2 years ago I swung in and saw a big new gun buster sign on the front door and have not been back.

It too bad because there knowledgable people with fair prices...but my area is blessed with many good dealers so I see no reason to give my business to people with this mindset.

Tack

Old 12-07-2012, 03:08 AM   #118

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tackleberry1 View Post

I used to do ALOT of business with NW Armory in Milwaukie Oregon. Bought a half dozen firearms, cases, optics, ammo, and my safe from these guys.

About 2 years ago I swung in and saw a big new gun buster sign on the front door and have not been back.

It too bad because there knowledgable people with fair prices...but my area is blessed with many good dealers so I see no reason to give my business to people with this mindset.

Tack
I don't know too many local shops. I have one in my small town and they're very informal and of little help other than, "go to Rich's" which is also very close. But I hate Rich's, nothing but snobs and overpriced everything. So I've been studying as much smithing DIY videos as I can and practicing on my own. My local shop always asks to see what I'm carrying. They're two ladies that talk way to much but know their stuff. Lol

Old 12-07-2012, 03:46 PM   #119

Liked 32 Times on 23 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeyondTheBox

I don't know too many local shops. I have one in my small town and they're very informal and of little help other than, "go to Rich's" which is also very close. But I hate Rich's, nothing but snobs and overpriced everything. So I've been studying as much smithing DIY videos as I can and practicing on my own. My local shop always asks to see what I'm carrying. They're two ladies that talk way to much but know their stuff. Lol
I live in a large crime filled city so... On one hand it makes me want my gun at the LGS.

Old 12-07-2012, 04:12 PM   #120

Nellis AFB still has their sign up. Talks about confiscating. I work there, so work and trips to and from are the largest portion of my unarmed time. Be nice if they would at least allow checking it in. And I still don't understand how you buy a weapon in the BX there and get it off base. I guess they transport it to the gate and hand it over on the street. Maybe I should buy another, just to discover how it is really done. Just to expand knowledge you understand.