Where does everyone carry? - Page 13
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Concealed Carrying & Personal Protection > Where does everyone carry?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-27-2013, 07:23 PM   #121
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts

Thank you for the articles. I know that it is riskier and I have to exert a bit more effort to keep mindful of where my purse Is at all times. There is benefits also. I can get my gun into so many places and even passed searches of my purse...people don't recognize my carrying case and never open it! Whereas a quick patdown would find it for sure.

Old 10-27-2013, 07:48 PM   #122

Liked 158 Times on 88 Posts
Likes Given: 42

I carry OWB on my right hip everywhere. There are some places that it would not be considered appropriate (fancy restaurant, work events etc.) so I try to wear what I can carry IWB, but with the Beretta PX4 subcompact it is a bit bulky.

I was hell bent on purse when I 1st got my gun. Shopped for purses, test fit my weapon in several, looked for styles I liked etc. But as I really thought about it and when out and about where my purse was at all times I became more and more convinced that a visibly unarmed smaller woman (5'4" 125 lbs) with a decent sized purse looked like an easier target for a bad guy than a visibly armed woman with a normal sized purse. I can think of a small amount of times that I would like to purse carry, but not too many. Plus I am AZ so it is very gun friendly and you can openly carry pretty much anywhere.

Old 10-27-2013, 09:31 PM   #123
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1588 Times on 1085 Posts
Likes Given: 548

In my pocket, in the waistband, outside the waistband, open carry. Really it's according to how I am dressed and what I am doing on a given day. For your first gun get a full size gun. You will be comfortable qualifying for your concealed carry license and it will be fun to shoot in all the run and gun games. Once you get some experience with a pistol and see what other people are doing you will know what you can tolerate.

No one can type in what gun you should buy. We don't know anything about you. Having a 9mm makes the run and gun games affordable. In time ammo prices will fall and $8 a box 9mm ammo will be everywhere.

Nothing in the affairs of men is worthy of great anxiety - Plato

Old 10-30-2013, 01:48 AM   #124

Liked 573 Times on 324 Posts
Likes Given: 722

Quote:
Originally Posted by John_Deer
...For your first gun get a full size gun. You will be comfortable qualifying for your concealed carry license and it will be fun to shoot in all the run and gun games.
Your statement raises a question from me. Did you have to perform a competency test for your CCW permit? I didn't read that in the Va requirements.

I'm not too concerned but every added task provides opportunity for failure.

I'm confused.

This page (the application) item 9 indicates a competency test form is needed.

http://www.vsp.state.va.us/downloads/SP-248_Application_for_Concealed_Handgun_Permit_Rev_7-1-2013.pdf

I also read here that once you take the online course you pay your fee, print it and take it to the State Police and obtain your CCW permit.

http://virginiaconcealed.com/get-certified/

This states item 7 competency may be provided by an online approved course.
http://www.vsp.state.va.us/Firearms_ResidentConcealed.shtm#Documentation

~ Holsters ~

Never forget these important words:
We the People...
America, take back your country!

Old 10-30-2013, 02:11 AM   #125
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1588 Times on 1085 Posts
Likes Given: 548

Yes, I did have to take a proficiency test.

I had prepared for hunting situations for many years before I got a CCW. I really didn't know how use a handgun for self defense until I started shooting IDPA and ZSA matches. Before I started competing with a handgun I thought a pistol was a tool to buy time to get a real gun. To a degree, I still feel that way but the situation would have to really escalate.

The run and fun games are like free lessons. You compete with people who are very good with a handgun. After a few matches you will start emulating the better shooters. Soon you are doing everything much faster. You need a full size gun to shoot run and gun matches. You are going to encounter 25 yard targets. Usually 6" steel circles or 4" squares. These are meant to be tie breakers but they are my strong suit. If the course of fire is all steel it will be the only one I am competitive with the better shooters.

Nothing in the affairs of men is worthy of great anxiety - Plato

Old 10-30-2013, 03:48 AM   #126

Liked 79 Times on 55 Posts

I took my class for cwp in Newport News, @ the marksman. 6 hour class ending with range competency. 25 total rounds, both hands, right, left, with a certain amount of double taps. All @ very close distance,, 3 yards if I remember correctly, hard not to hit paper that close, ha. Not sure if it is required or was just supplemental for the course.

Old 10-30-2013, 06:41 AM   #127

Liked 77 Times on 63 Posts
Likes Given: 152

Sig p238 IWB custom kydex holster at 4oclock will have a mag pouch to go with it soon

• Courage
  • Loyalty
  • Rectitude
  • Benevolence

Guns Owned

Para USA 1911 EXPERT .45ACP

Sig Sauer P238 .380ACP

For reviews on various products check out my youtube!

https://www.youtube.com/user/Hellfire198362

CCW map

http://www.handgunlaw.us/LicMaps/ccwmap.php

Old 10-30-2013, 02:13 PM   #128

Liked 573 Times on 324 Posts
Likes Given: 722

Thanks for the feedback. I am going to contact the authorities and a couple online services just to confirm/validate what is necessary.

I would like to have some physical real life shooting training - but whether it is before or after obtaining a CCW doesn't matter much to me.

But I suspect like Golf - better to get the right training before the bad habits are developed.

~ Holsters ~

Never forget these important words:
We the People...
America, take back your country!

Old 10-30-2013, 02:19 PM   #129

Pocket carry .380 works best for me unless I'm wearing a jacket. Jacket allows for carrying larger .45

Old 11-01-2013, 06:24 PM   #130

Liked 68 Times on 53 Posts
Likes Given: 113

Right now I carry on my right side at about 30° in an IWB holster. I'm wanting to try something new though and give OWB a shot.