Where do you keep your firearms for home protection? - Page 3
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Concealed Carrying & Personal Protection > Where do you keep your firearms for home protection?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-04-2011, 03:01 PM   #21
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sniper03 View Post
First of all I think it is important to have home defense weapons in more than one area. For example I have a double barrel 12 ga. Coach Gun hanging over my Fireplace in the Family Room with 00 and slugs available at reach. You never know a threat could come quickly in the evening while you are watching your favorite show. And other weapons may be in your bedroom too far for quick response. In the Bedroom! First of all the house is alarmed. And I have a Glock in my bed stand drawer. The wife has a Browning BDA in hers. Also two AR-15s in my bedroom behind a door that is alarmed also. If I open it at night with the alarm set. It activates all the sirens a certain lights outside the house. One AR has an EOTech on it and the other has NV, a regular Tac Light and Laser, They can run but they can't hide! And with the 1/2 mile lane it is a long way for them to the county road. I am also blessed due to the fact that if my neighbors here my alarm going off. Generally they will head for the entrance of my lane with their weapons. They have been there many times when the Sheriff showed up on a few false alarms! Don't know if they are hoping for trigger time or what. We all watch over each others property here. It is Tennessee and not like most liberal areas of the USA. Come in the night or other times messing with someone or their property, better hope you are getting hazard pay. You might not go home?
I left the metro area a few years ago so I could enjoy the America of the past. And our native traditional values.

Your set, but yeh I live in a suburban neighborhood where most of my neighbors could give a **** about your property. I am trying to raise awareness in my neighborhood regarding burglaries and other suspicious things , and hopefully convince a few to practice their rights of the 2nd amendment.

Home Invasion...I've got something for that!

Old 03-04-2011, 05:23 PM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by angeLoaded View Post
Yeh that's always a huge concern, but in that case you wouldn't feel immediately threatened right? But I guess my idea of an immediate threat is that someone is charging at me or brandishing a weapon as soon as I see them. But none the less I'd give a warning to anyone stepping into my home, with decal and yard signs for my alarm system, be aware of the consequences of pranking, breaking in, or attempting to burglarize my home.
Rule no1 - only shoot if you are certain why and what you shoot at!

Old 03-04-2011, 06:57 PM   #23
Jay

Liked 15 Times on 9 Posts

Quote:
But I guess my idea of an immediate threat is that someone is charging at me or brandishing a weapon as soon as I see them. But none the less I'd give a warning to anyone stepping into my home, with decal and yard signs for my alarm system, be aware of the consequences of pranki
What you've said is true. However, a home break-in happens very quickly, and you will likely NOT have time to go get a weapon. You need to be very aware of the laws in your state, that apply to deadly force. Those laws differ from state-to-state.

You might also consider that decals, and yard signs may also invite a break-in if those decals or signs indicate that there may be guns in the house.

Indiana's Deadly Force Laws, just as an example

Indiana Code 35-41-3

NRA Life Member
Freedom has a flavor the protected can never taste...
USMC 8652, 2531, RVN Jun '67, - May 69

Some of my toys

Old 03-04-2011, 07:44 PM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay View Post
What you've said is true. However, a home break-in happens very quickly, and you will likely NOT have time to go get a weapon. You need to be very aware of the laws in your state, that apply to deadly force. Those laws differ from state-to-state.

You might also consider that decals, and yard signs may also invite a break-in if those decals or signs indicate that there may be guns in the house.

Indiana's Deadly Force Laws, just as an example

Indiana Code 35-41-3

true, i guess it really just comes down to it IF and When it happens. The situation will always be different. Not to say I'm ready to take anyones life but I will do what I have to in order to assure the safety of my sons and wife. Only when their lives or mine for that matter are threatened then I will not hesitate to use deadly force.

Old 03-04-2011, 08:00 PM   #25
Jay

Liked 15 Times on 9 Posts

Quote:
but I will do what I have to in order to assure the safety of my sons and wife. Only when their lives or mine for that matter are threatened then I will not hesitate to use deadly force.
I've heard versions of "he who moves first usually wins", and for the most part, it's true. A potential intruder is at a disadvantage if he tries to plan his moves inside a strange house. You have the advantage in your own home. YOU move first, by planning for various contingencies. You and your wife plan ahead and as best you can decide who goes where..... select a "safe room" that has only one entrance and can be easily defended..... and like that.... advantage, YOU

NRA Life Member
Freedom has a flavor the protected can never taste...
USMC 8652, 2531, RVN Jun '67, - May 69

Some of my toys

Old 03-04-2011, 10:36 PM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay View Post
I've heard versions of "he who moves first usually wins", and for the most part, it's true. A potential intruder is at a disadvantage if he tries to plan his moves inside a strange house. You have the advantage in your own home. YOU move first, by planning for various contingencies. You and your wife plan ahead and as best you can decide who goes where..... select a "safe room" that has only one entrance and can be easily defended..... and like that.... advantage, YOU
Yeah I guess I won't really know how I would react until it happens. But your right, a solid family plan can't go wrong.

Old 03-05-2011, 02:55 AM   #27

XD 45 on the wall behind the headboard, 9 in the mag.( I tried on the headboard but, I kept wobbling the setup loose,)I trade the time it would take to jack one in the chamber for safety. That one stays there. Any pistol (or revolver) I carry has one in the tube or will rotate into position. I bought my granddaughter a bolt action Cricket that she can load, aim and fire, she's 7. I started her education with an airsoft.

Old 03-05-2011, 03:09 AM   #28

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

I keep my M4 three feet away with the mag out and only and inch away from it, flash light 5/8 away from the both of them.

"ever man out here has a timer, no one know how long it will take but no one last forever"
Sargent Miller

"cake or death! I'll have the cake then... SORRY WHERE OUT OF CAKE!... so it's or death? I'll have the chicken then please." Eddy Izzard

"so a suppose your going to kill me now? no he is I'm just here to watch"

"you know why guns are better then a woman?... you can put a silencer on a gun."

Old 03-05-2011, 01:45 PM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sniper03 View Post
. . Also two AR-15s in my bedroom behind a door that is alarmed also. If I open it at night with the alarm set. It activates all the sirens a certain lights outside the house. One AR has an EOTech on it and the other has NV, a regular Tac Light and Laser, They can run but they can't hide! And with the 1/2 mile lane it is a long way for them to the county road. I am also blessed due to the fact that if my neighbors here my alarm going off. Generally they will head for the entrance of my lane with their weapons. 03

No one is going to screw with you.

Old 03-05-2011, 01:48 PM   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by wmille01 View Post
I keep my M4 three feet away with the mag out and only and inch away from it, flash light 5/8 away from the both of them.
A super hot flash light would be nice . A 20 watt halogen