Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   Concealed Carrying & Personal Protection (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f17/)
-   -   Where do you keep your firearms for home protection? (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f17/where-do-you-keep-your-firearms-home-protection-39254/)

angeLoaded 03-03-2011 05:07 AM

Where do you keep your firearms for home protection?

I just wanted to get some insight on some of where the best places to store your firearms in your home just in case you encounter a time where you actually have to use it to defend yourself.

I would like everyones opinion.

I have 2 little boys and I sure as hell wouldn't want them to have access to my firearms, so I keep it in a speed safe inside the top of my closet.

dunerunner 03-03-2011 05:25 AM

On my hip or slung under my left arm. Used to keep one under my pillow, but now it goes in the nightstand drawer. (No Kids)

When the granddaughters are visiting, they are unloaded and kept in a zippered gun bag in the nightstand. Takes me 30 seconds to get it, load it and.......

deathkricket 03-03-2011 07:48 AM

Shotgun in the corner behind my bed, SP-101 in the living room on the shelf next to my couch. XD-9 in the kitchen on the shelf above the sink, the rest are put away. the SP in the living room is outa reach of my daughter but still there are little things you can do like SUPERVISE your kids and teach them to stay away from fire arms and not let them do what the hell they want and wonder why they blow their heads off. but really i try to keep a gun in every room due to the area i live in.

Jay 03-03-2011 10:44 AM

If I'm awake, I'm carrying a handgun. If I'm not home, my wife carries... on her person. We have an 85 pound detection system that lets us know instantly if someone, or something approaches the house. I have a shotgun hanging behind our bedroom door.

I have several grand children, and relatives who are toddlers. They either shoot, or have been exposed to guns, to the point that guns are no mystery to them. Young children aren't stupid. If you forbid them something, they'll figure out a way to get their hands on it. If you involve them in learning about firearms, they will either want to go shoot with you (priceless), or they likely won't have an interest. That being said, the other guns are in the safes. If you're so inclined, consider obtaining a copy of the NRA's Eddie Eagle program. It's designed for children.

FAS1 03-03-2011 12:54 PM

My HD gun is kept in my FAS1 SAFE, LLC bolted to my bed frame. No kids at home any more but I like it to be close by at night and away from any visitors, maid service, etc.

http://fas1safe.com/images/1242157303935102392626.jpeg

Education is a must for your kids but I would not solely depend on that. You have little control over their friends that visit (maybe when your not home) and kids are curious by nature. I know I did things that I knew were wrong as a kid and I was pretty good from what I see of a lot of kids these days.

Jay 03-03-2011 01:07 PM

Perhaps it's the "small town" environment, but we did have control over friends of our children who visited. When our children were old enough to stay home alone, they were fully aware that "alone" was the key word. Maybe we were lucky, I don't know. We never had an issue.

angeLoaded 03-03-2011 02:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dunerunner (Post 456777)
On my hip or slung under my left arm. Used to keep one under my pillow, but now it goes in the nightstand drawer. (No Kids)

When the granddaughters are visiting, they are unloaded and kept in a zippered gun bag in the nightstand. Takes me 30 seconds to get it, load it and.......

30 seconds seems a bit much, may be I'm just over thinking it.

angeLoaded 03-03-2011 02:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jay (Post 456857)
Perhaps it's the "small town" environment, but we did have control over friends of our children who visited. When our children were old enough to stay home alone, they were fully aware that "alone" was the key word. Maybe we were lucky, I don't know. We never had an issue.

Ideally I would love to raise my kids to be aware of the firearms in the house. However my 20 month old son has yet to comprehend the meaning of most words haha. But yeah as they grow older they will absolutely know about the firearms in the house.

winds-of-change 03-03-2011 02:12 PM

My gun is kept in a Gun Vault next to my bed.

Jay 03-03-2011 02:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by angeLoaded (Post 456876)
Ideally I would love to raise my kids to be aware of the firearms in the house. However my 20 month old son has yet to comprehend the meaning of most words haha. But yeah as they grow older they will absolutely know about the firearms in the house.

Agreed. I do think that if you don't make firearms a big mystery, kids will be less likely to seek 'em out. While he may not know the words, he can tell when he's approaching something that makes you pay attention to him. The type of response his approach generates, goes a long way towards his filing it away for the future or not.

Just my two cents... :)