where to carry a truck gun? - Page 2

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Concealed Carrying & Personal Protection > where to carry a truck gun?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-24-2012, 05:48 PM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 201 Times on 138 Posts

I keep mine under the back seat in my F150 and behind the seat against the wall in my reg cab Dakota. My thinking for keep them on or near the floor is, #1 under the seat or behind it is out of sight of potential thieves and #2, if shtf and some phsyco starts shooting I'm can reach it from a nealing position while using the truck itself as cover/concealment. I don't want to be a standing target through a window while trying to get my truck gun from ceiling or rear window mounted rack.

I never liked the rear window truck racks because having a long gun in one is like hanging a sign on your gun that says, "Attention thieves, I'm an unattended firearm, come and take me!". It's just asking for trouble.

Century Arms AR-15A2, 5.56
1946 Mosin-Nagant M44, 7.62x54R
1978 YUGO SKS, 7.62x39
NEF Protector Pump, 12 gauge
Savage Model 64, .22LR
NEF Pardner Tracker II, 12 gauge
Rock Island Armory 1911A1, .45 ACP
Remington 870 'Express Magnum' 12 gauge
Bersa Thunder .380

Old 12-24-2012, 05:50 PM   #12

Liked 34 Times on 27 Posts

I've seen great holster mounts that go under your steering column. Easy access and relatively hidden from public eye. Look for truck mounted gun holsters.

Old 12-26-2012, 07:55 PM   #13
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2072 Times on 1225 Posts
Likes Given: 1007

EDC? Do you mean your PPD?? Personal Protection Device!
The problem I see here is if you place a PPD inside the vehicle, other than on your person, and you do not want it visible and you want it secure it will be about as hard to access as it is on your person. If you want access on your person while driving wear a cross draw holster.

An armed society is not always a polite society, but it is a free and safe society!
Self Defense is an absolute and natural right!
Keep your head down and your powder dry!

Last edited by JimRau; 12-26-2012 at 07:58 PM.
kfox75 Likes This 
Old 12-27-2012, 02:46 AM   #14
No Longer a NY Resident.
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1753 Times on 1081 Posts
Likes Given: 9629

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimRau View Post
EDC? Do you mean your PPD?? Personal Protection Device!
The problem I see here is if you place a PPD inside the vehicle, other than on your person, and you do not want it visible and you want it secure it will be about as hard to access as it is on your person. If you want access on your person while driving wear a cross draw holster.
What he said. Here in NY, A CCW only covers your handgun when it is on your person. Stick that pistol in the center console or in the glove box, you could get jail time for it. One state over in PA, in your car is allowed with a CCW. I carry mine crossdraw in my truck for 2 reasons. Reason 1, easier acess in a situation where I need it. 2, If my primary hand (right) is occupied with shifting, starting the truck, Pushing a passenger down out of the line of fire, etc, I can still get to my pistol with my weak hand to defend myself. Or if my right hand or arm is injured, I can still reach my pistol.

Check your local laws, and get a good crossdraw holster. It should work better for your needs.

Is it better to do the right thing for the wrong reason, or to do the wrong thing for the right reason? If you do the wrong thing for the right reason, is it still the wrong thing?

Si vis pacem para bellum.

There are two ways of doing something. Right and again.

Last edited by kfox75; 12-27-2012 at 02:49 AM.

Old 12-27-2012, 03:13 AM   #15

Liked 292 Times on 252 Posts

I keep a glovebox gun for possible passenger and one concealed against my console for self. Because I pocket carry it's even more difficult to access and no matter your awareness, bad guys don't usually give ya warning from what I've heard. Lol

I'd say, if local state law permits, find a way to conceal a gun under your front seat or against console or under steeringwheel.

Old 12-27-2012, 12:54 PM   #16

Liked 2181 Times on 1472 Posts
Likes Given: 1191

Quote:
Originally Posted by dragunovsks View Post
I keep mine under the back seat in my F150 and behind the seat against the wall in my reg cab Dakota. My thinking for keep them on or near the floor is, #1 under the seat or behind it is out of sight of potential thieves and #2, if shtf and some phsyco starts shooting I'm can reach it from a nealing position while using the truck itself as cover/concealment. I don't want to be a standing target through a window while trying to get my truck gun from ceiling or rear window mounted rack.

Quote:
I never liked the rear window truck racks because having a long gun in one is like hanging a sign on your gun that says, "Attention thieves, I'm an unattended firearm, come and take me!". It's just asking for trouble.
Never lived in Texas have ya

Texan By Birth & Choice
USMC/VIET NAM VET

Old 12-27-2012, 02:58 PM   #17

Liked 77 Times on 52 Posts
Likes Given: 19

This is the conundrum that we as gun owners face. I say piss off the anti-gunners and carry multiple weapons for every foreseeable situation. Rock your lc9 at 4 o'clock, have another in a cross draw holster, also have a 1911 in a vehicle mounted holster, keep a long gun in the trunk, and mount machine guns to the hood of your car! Problems solved!

If you've got one foot in yesterday, and the other in tomorrow, than you're pissing on today.
-unknown-

kfox75 Likes This 
Old 12-27-2012, 03:09 PM   #18

Liked 2181 Times on 1472 Posts
Likes Given: 1191

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrthWhytHype View Post
This is the conundrum that we as gun owners face. I say piss off the anti-gunners and carry multiple weapons for every foreseeable situation. Rock your lc9 at 4 o'clock, have another in a cross draw holster, also have a 1911 in a vehicle mounted holster, keep a long gun in the trunk, and mount machine guns to the hood of your car! Problems solved!
Well, hopefully you'll get to the 7th amendment at work

Texan By Birth & Choice
USMC/VIET NAM VET

Old 12-27-2012, 03:37 PM   #19
JTJ
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2374 Times on 1282 Posts
Likes Given: 681

There are some seat covers that have a pocket where the cloth hangs down in front of the seat. Very inconspicuous and handy. When I carry at 4 it is usually butt forward. It does not print as badly when you bend over and it is easier to draw. I will also use a belt clip holster 10 on the left when I am driving a lot.

Patron Member NRA
"I would not be an old man if I had not been an armed young man." JTJ
I was taught to respect my elders but they are getting harder to find.

Old 12-28-2012, 02:33 PM   #20

Liked 64 Times on 55 Posts
Likes Given: 4

In GA, if you have your carry permit, you can keep your gun wherever you want. But when you leave the vehicle, lock it up out if sight or put it in your holster.