where to carry a truck gun?

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Concealed Carrying & Personal Protection > where to carry a truck gun?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-23-2012, 10:56 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 160 Times on 113 Posts

Default where to carry a truck gun?

My EDC is a ruger lc9. But with the way I carry (4 o'clock) its hard to reach when I'm in my truck. Is like to have a truck gun that stays in the vehicle at all times. I don't have a reliable shotgun or rifle to put in there. But I have an M&P9 or a 1911. Which should I carry in the truck and how should I carry it? I.E. where to hide it? I don't have kids and the people in my truck know not to mess with any guns they might find.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 12-23-2012, 11:47 PM   #2
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 5997 Times on 3138 Posts
Likes Given: 428

dont know about your local laws but here in wisconsin we got oc and ccw so my gun sits on the center console where i can get it if needed. i carry owb 3oclock so when i get out of the truck it either goes in the center console or in the holster at that point.

i always have my lcp in my pocket. ive taken to carrying the beretta M9A1 since the wife has decided she likes it a lot and wants one. we are consolidating our carry guns into what she is comfy with.

anyway depends on your truck and local laws. between the seats under a newspaper on the seat or in or on the center console.

"Gun control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound." — L. Neil Smith

The problem with being stupid is you cannot simply decide to stop doing dumb things...

Old 12-24-2012, 12:03 AM   #3

Liked 1652 Times on 986 Posts
Likes Given: 361

If you can do it legally, on your hip is the best place. Where I live, we don't have open carry, so it is under my shirt at 3:00. I always know where it is, and what condition it is in.

"It is better to be too skeptical then too credulous"

Carl Sagan

Old 12-24-2012, 12:05 AM   #4

The lc9 will never leave my hip. But if somebody attacks while I'm in my truck I need another gun with better accuracy and easier to access

Old 12-24-2012, 12:18 AM   #5
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2146 Times on 1473 Posts
Likes Given: 798

Having a second gun just hanging around in the truck is a liability for me. I end up with children in the truck that I never planned to transport. I have friends that don't need to touch a firearm in a confined space. There are to many things to go wrong in my life. If I need a gun in the truck I have my EDC.

When I do need to carry a long gun I put it in my tool box. Out of sight is out of mind.

To argue with a person who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead. Thomas Paine

Last edited by John_Deer; 12-24-2012 at 12:23 AM.

Old 12-24-2012, 12:21 AM   #6

I had an experience today where a random man started cussing us out as we were getting in my truck. I was in and buckled and I'm afraid I wouldn't have been able to reach my EDC in time in case things escalated. Hence my desire for a truck gun

Old 12-24-2012, 12:48 AM   #7
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2146 Times on 1473 Posts
Likes Given: 798

The NRA store has a bunch of vehicle holsters. You might see something there you can use.

To argue with a person who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead. Thomas Paine

Old 12-24-2012, 01:01 AM   #8

I want it to stay out of sight when I'm not in my vehicle. Most of those holsters leave it relatively in sight

Old 12-24-2012, 03:47 PM   #9

Dude, if you are in your truck and buckled, the door should be closed and keys in the ignition. If there is a situation, you drive off and avoid conflict. Your EDC should be in a position to be accessible anytime. As for a truck gun, I do not think of that as my primary plan of defense in my vehicle. I keep mine in my center console, which is lockable for the few times that I need to prevent access from kids.

Old 12-24-2012, 05:43 PM   #10

Liked 127 Times on 96 Posts
Likes Given: 13

Quote:
Originally Posted by potentialglock View Post
The lc9 will never leave my hip. But if somebody attacks while I'm in my truck I need another gun with better accuracy and easier to access
Situational awareness + locked doors should provide enough time to access your concealed handgun.

I could make a list of a bunch of guns i have, or "have", or wish I had. Why would one feel compelled to provide that infornation freely? Do you feel the need to show off? Is it some immature game of oneupsmanship?

Why do you feel it necessary to list your guns?