Firearm & Gun Forum -

Firearm & Gun Forum - (
-   Concealed Carrying & Personal Protection (
-   -   where to carry a truck gun? (

potentialglock 12-23-2012 10:56 PM

where to carry a truck gun?
My EDC is a ruger lc9. But with the way I carry (4 o'clock) its hard to reach when I'm in my truck. Is like to have a truck gun that stays in the vehicle at all times. I don't have a reliable shotgun or rifle to put in there. But I have an M&P9 or a 1911. Which should I carry in the truck and how should I carry it? I.E. where to hide it? I don't have kids and the people in my truck know not to mess with any guns they might find.

JonM 12-23-2012 11:47 PM

dont know about your local laws but here in wisconsin we got oc and ccw so my gun sits on the center console where i can get it if needed. i carry owb 3oclock so when i get out of the truck it either goes in the center console or in the holster at that point.

i always have my lcp in my pocket. ive taken to carrying the beretta M9A1 since the wife has decided she likes it a lot and wants one. we are consolidating our carry guns into what she is comfy with.

anyway depends on your truck and local laws. between the seats under a newspaper on the seat or in or on the center console.

Chainfire 12-24-2012 12:03 AM

If you can do it legally, on your hip is the best place. Where I live, we don't have open carry, so it is under my shirt at 3:00. I always know where it is, and what condition it is in.

potentialglock 12-24-2012 12:05 AM

The lc9 will never leave my hip. But if somebody attacks while I'm in my truck I need another gun with better accuracy and easier to access

John_Deer 12-24-2012 12:18 AM

Having a second gun just hanging around in the truck is a liability for me. I end up with children in the truck that I never planned to transport. I have friends that don't need to touch a firearm in a confined space. There are to many things to go wrong in my life. If I need a gun in the truck I have my EDC.

When I do need to carry a long gun I put it in my tool box. Out of sight is out of mind.

potentialglock 12-24-2012 12:21 AM

I had an experience today where a random man started cussing us out as we were getting in my truck. I was in and buckled and I'm afraid I wouldn't have been able to reach my EDC in time in case things escalated. Hence my desire for a truck gun

John_Deer 12-24-2012 12:48 AM

The NRA store has a bunch of vehicle holsters. You might see something there you can use.

potentialglock 12-24-2012 01:01 AM

I want it to stay out of sight when I'm not in my vehicle. Most of those holsters leave it relatively in sight

sawman1293 12-24-2012 03:47 PM

Dude, if you are in your truck and buckled, the door should be closed and keys in the ignition. If there is a situation, you drive off and avoid conflict. Your EDC should be in a position to be accessible anytime. As for a truck gun, I do not think of that as my primary plan of defense in my vehicle. I keep mine in my center console, which is lockable for the few times that I need to prevent access from kids.

willfully armed 12-24-2012 05:43 PM

Originally Posted by potentialglock (Post 1063620)
The lc9 will never leave my hip. But if somebody attacks while I'm in my truck I need another gun with better accuracy and easier to access

Situational awareness + locked doors should provide enough time to access your concealed handgun.