When you first started carrying - Page 7
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Concealed Carrying & Personal Protection > When you first started carrying

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-04-2013, 07:18 AM   #61
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 1521 Times on 1030 Posts
Likes Given: 532

I have open carried during hunting season for over 30 years. You have an orange hat and a truck load of dogs it's pretty obvious you are hunting. The waitresses would know what I wanted. The XL lunch special, coffee and a pitcher of tea to fill my thermos.

Nothing in the affairs of men is worthy of great anxiety - Plato

Old 09-04-2013, 07:43 AM   #62

Liked 160 Times on 138 Posts
Likes Given: 15

Quote:
Originally Posted by TekGreg

King, congratulations on the choice to carry! You can also get more comfortable by making very short runs out of the house (convenience store, grab a newspaper, etc) and observing others around you. You will soon realize that, if you have an effective carry system, no one even looks at you and, if they do, they can't identify a gun from a cell phone.

Also realize that wearing a nylon holster on a belt from Sears instead of a holster from DeSantis and a stiffened gun belt is similar to driving a go-kart to find out if you can drive a big rig - the difference is night and day! Don't assume that uncomfortable, sloppy feel will be the same as a $200 rig.
No one really cares unless you make it very obvious that your carrying. Plus your personality, and they way you carry your self makes a big difference! Don't look for trouble or attention and don't get to wrapped up in the "printing thing" most conceal friendly weapons that are holstered usually don't print, a lot depends on choice of weapon! But I'm a amused at people that dump all kinds of money into a fancy holster to try to make a big frame gun a carry gun!! To each is own, I carry a pistol that was designed to CC and use a cheap holster and I'm fine with it all day long! Different guns are designed for different purposes. Why try to put a square peg in a round whole? But again to each his own.

Old 09-04-2013, 12:27 PM   #63

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 2

For me it is not unusual to carry two guns. In the winter I often carry one revolver in my outer coat pocket. I also carry one 9 mm Glock 17 under my shirt and coat. As I walk along, my right hand is often inside of my coat pocket, close to my snub nosed revolver, in case I need it for immediate action. The Glock stays hidden until I need to pull it out and use it.

When I travel in a car, the snub nosed pistol becomes the car gun. What I mean by that is that I keep the revolver handy so I can easily reach it while I am seated in the car. That way I don't have to struggle to try to reach my Glock 17 on my right hip and try to pull it around the seat belt. No matter where I go or what I do I always have one gun that I can easily reach and immediately put to good use for those close range social events that need a little forceful emphasis to them.

Old 09-05-2013, 03:16 PM   #64

Liked 77 Times on 63 Posts
Likes Given: 152

since i started this post i have open carried every day and had only 2 instances where i was stopped by LEOS both of which didnt take long and were not as bad as i thought getting stopped would be. I have signed up for a CCW course here and have the money set aside for the permit as well.. But thank you to all of you for sharing your stories and knowledge on this thread.

• Courage
  • Loyalty
  • Rectitude
  • Benevolence

Guns Owned

Para USA 1911 EXPERT .45ACP

Sig Sauer P238 .380ACP

For reviews on various products check out my youtube!

https://www.youtube.com/user/Hellfire198362

CCW map

http://www.handgunlaw.us/LicMaps/ccwmap.php

Old 09-05-2013, 03:37 PM   #65
Podcast Host/ American Patriot/DAV!
FTF_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Liked 3087 Times on 2094 Posts
Likes Given: 657

I obtained my CCW last year, not long after I made my first Gun purchases in over 15 years. Back east, I only had Ownership and what was called "Target-Premise" permit while I lived in NYC. My wife is also the daughter & sister of policemen & ex-soldiers,..so we get on very well, and enjoy shooting. If our health continues to improve she will get into "cowgirl" action shooting, and I will take up "wild Bunch"...We are both currently shooting Bullseye Rimfire auto and i'm doing some Centerfire target as well...
We also recently(both of us) Became Volunteer Reserve LE's....

I only Open Carry on My UTV out in the desert, or on my Trycycle around town. Here(Az.) many people open carry except where it's not allowed(School buildings, Bars, and food establishments that serve Booze & Beer, and other gov't buildings)...
On my UTV I will normally carry either my Colt Python 6"(which is closing on 40 years old) or my Dan Wesson .41 on a convertible belt rig that can also be worn across the chest handgun hunter style, and one of the small 9's as BUG...
Mostly I prefer Concealed Carry with either my LC9 or my Smith 439,..either In a "Manpurse" or right Hip or front right pants pocket. My wife carries in her bag(Ruger LCR 38+P), as she almost never wears Jeans anymore because of her back. We also recently installed 2 Safes in our SUV...

Dr. Bill(Dr.Football)
CWO-4 US ARMY Ret./Med.
Proud to be a Soldier, Proud to be a Night Stalker!
The 160th Special Operations Aviation Regiment(S.O.A.R.) The Army's Taxi for Special Operators *NSDQ*