Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Concealed Carrying & Personal Protection > When you first started carrying

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-26-2013, 08:08 PM   #41
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 157 Times on 135 Posts
Likes Given: 15

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffkaiser1989
alot of intrrsting feedback here. im not sure why i am as nervous as i am maybe its the horror stories a friend told me or maybe im just not as confident with my gun yet. And when i saw a cop earlier when i was about to get my gun out of my car and put it on my belt to go hiking in the woods i decided not to take my gun with me for fear of being harassed
If your legal to carry and choose not to carry over fear of harassment or anything else, that is the biggest disservice you can give to you and your community, for obvious reasons!! Comfortable to carry and confident to shoot and shoot well is most important factors in CC!! The confidence can generally come with any gun if enough range time is invested!! For comfortability, I had to choose two guns!! My prime CC is a Glock 19, I holster that bad boy inside the waist at 2 o'clock!! 3 o'clock I'm printing to much, 1 o'clock and its two uncomfortable to sit for any length of time!! For quick errands or for days I just don't want to carry a bigger gun, I will pocket holster a little 380(LCP)!! It's not the ideal man stopper, but its adequate and accurate enough to kill from 30 feet in!! Point being is to carry something at all times and to adapt and embrace gun carry as routine as possible!! We as humans can be lazy and we usually don't want to think to hard about our daily routine!! And the faster we adapt gun carry in our ever day routine the faster the world will be a little safer, not to mention our loved ones!! Find your groove and stick to it!! I know plenty of people that carry pocket pistols daily, being its so effortless!! But at least they are carrying-

Old 08-01-2013, 06:56 PM   #42

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts

Like some of the other posts, I started carrying as a professional requirement. Even off duty concealed carry was of little concern, because I was not concerned if my gun printed or if someone noticed. Now as a business professional I have a CCW permit and have carried everyday for 20+ years. Remember you are sensitive to the position and imprint of your gun. Most people are not looking and can not distinguish between a gun grip, cellphone, key ring, etc. Most people have a cellphone or other hanging from their belt or bulging in their pocket. They are not searching for the imprint of your tiny P238 grip. Today I am carrying my SA EMP40 as I type this post at my office computer. This is my carry choice most of the time, either in a Fobus paddle or N82 IWB, both easily concealed. When all else fails, a Seecamp 32 disappears in my front pocket. Most of my employees have no idea that I choose to carry. Others suspect that I am because of casual conversation. And, none have commented on my nice Rosewood grips or night sights. In my experience, most people don't even notice open carry. We are simply too busy or distracted to really care. Your choice of gun is easy to conceal. Get your permit, a comfortable IWB and a pocket holster. Your hyper sensitivity will wear off and comfort will matter more.

Most important, concealed carry and personal protection is more about attitude.

Old 08-28-2013, 04:21 PM   #43

Liked 26 Times on 14 Posts
Likes Given: 26

It's been my experience that most people don't associate the 'bulge' of a gun with a gun...they either assume it's a phone or something else if they notice at all. Most people nowadays don't even actually look at other people that much. Before you became a 'gun person', how often did you actually look at someones waistline? If you want to see how uncommon it is that people actually 'see' you...try making eye contact with EVERYONE you pass. 90% of the time, if they even look in your direction, you'll get a slightly confused and mildly shocked expression...the same look you see for a split second when you approach someone you recognize but they don't recognize you right away. The only exception is older (over 65) people. They tend to meet your eyes more often than not, still look mildly surprised especially if you're under 40, but immediately smile and nod.

The only real issues with someone noticing would be if you have a larger gun, carried in an OWB holster, or the person noticing was trained to notice such things (police, maybe military or some other flavor of LEO). That being said, if you prefer the shirt-tucked-in look, then it'll be harder for you. If you're super skinny, it could be harder too. Luckily I'm freakishly tall, moderately overweight, and I generally wear loose fitting T-shirts and cargo shorts a lot (The Florida summer uniform) so I have plenty of places to conceal.

I've gotten in the habit of wearing a wifebeater style undershirt, with the regular shirt over it..... It doesn't make me feel any hotter, and it helps considerably with gun-rub, and overall comfort. I cant recommend this more if you want to 'forget' you have a gun on you!

For the record, I almost always carry a Glock 26 in a simple IWB holster:

It's more than enough for retention when I wear it slightly forward of my front pants pocket and use a belt....and it gives me super quick access too.

IMHO It's also a good idea to practice drawing it as quickly as you can, no matter what you decide to use (with an UNLOADED gun ). I've made it a habit to practice one or two draws every single time I put it on and take it off. I don't really try for speed, but for fluidity and no hangups on my shirt....any shirt that's proven to be an issue (because of length usually) becomes a 'house only' shirt!

Old 08-28-2013, 11:58 PM   #44

Liked 220 Times on 166 Posts
Likes Given: 42

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drauka View Post
I've gotten in the habit of wearing a wifebeater style undershirt........
I'd worry more about making these kind of generalizations about what people wear than printing in my "summer clothes"

Never waste time deciding between two guns....buy both of them.

Old 08-29-2013, 04:07 AM   #45

Liked 26 Times on 14 Posts
Likes Given: 26

Quote:
Originally Posted by Missouribound View Post
I'd worry more about making these kind of generalizations about what people wear than printing in my "summer clothes"
What?? Really?? On a site that's pro-second amendment, you're going to jump on someone for exercising their 1st

It's not a 'generalization about what people wear', by the way, its what I call what I wear. You can be politically correct by yourself, I will speak however I like as long as I live in the United States. I'll wear the wifebeaters, you can wear 'tanktop style T-shirts' or 'singlets' or whatever else you prefer to call them.

Remember: saying "I'm offended" (or implying it by passive aggressively suggesting someone 'worry more' about something) is just telling the world you're too immature to control your own emotions, so everyone else should do it for you.

Old 08-29-2013, 04:30 AM   #46

Liked 2183 Times on 1252 Posts
Likes Given: 1767

You get used to it pretty quick.

Finding a type of holster you are

completely comfortable with, well

that's where all the boxes of holsters

you see sitting in the back of the LGS

come from ...

Old 08-29-2013, 04:35 AM   #47

Liked 4781 Times on 2677 Posts
Likes Given: 1736

There was a time when guys never worried about a "Bulge" in their pants.

Old 08-29-2013, 05:09 AM   #48

Liked 56 Times on 37 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Been open carrying my S&W SD9VE for about a year and finally got an IWB holster last weekend. Tried it around the house and I think either 4 O'clock or 10 O'clock will work best for me. Will try it out this weekend and post my thoughts on it. I went for a cheap nylon CC holster since I'm still deciding if I will like CC. If I like it I will look for a better holster in the future.

Old 08-29-2013, 12:17 PM   #49

Liked 220 Times on 166 Posts
Likes Given: 42

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drauka View Post
What?? Really?? On a site that's pro-second amendment, you're going to jump on someone for exercising their 1st

It's not a 'generalization about what people wear', by the way, its what I call what I wear. You can be politically correct by yourself, I will speak however I like as long as I live in the United States. I'll wear the wifebeaters, you can wear 'tanktop style T-shirts' or 'singlets' or whatever else you prefer to call them.

Remember: saying "I'm offended" (or implying it by passive aggressively suggesting someone 'worry more' about something) is just telling the world you're too immature to control your own emotions, so everyone else should do it for you.
Calm down. If you beat your wife in private that's your business.

Never waste time deciding between two guns....buy both of them.

Old 08-29-2013, 09:19 PM   #50
Devil's Advocate and Provocateur

Liked 1119 Times on 603 Posts
Likes Given: 522

Quote:
Originally Posted by KingGlamis View Post
Been open carrying my S&W SD9VE for about a year and finally got an IWB holster last weekend. Tried it around the house and I think either 4 O'clock or 10 O'clock will work best for me. Will try it out this weekend and post my thoughts on it. I went for a cheap nylon CC holster since I'm still deciding if I will like CC. If I like it I will look for a better holster in the future.
King, congratulations on the choice to carry! You can also get more comfortable by making very short runs out of the house (convenience store, grab a newspaper, etc) and observing others around you. You will soon realize that, if you have an effective carry system, no one even looks at you and, if they do, they can't identify a gun from a cell phone.

Also realize that wearing a nylon holster on a belt from Sears instead of a holster from DeSantis and a stiffened gun belt is similar to driving a go-kart to find out if you can drive a big rig - the difference is night and day! Don't assume that uncomfortable, sloppy feel will be the same as a $200 rig.

“Malo periculosam, libertatem quam quietam servitutem." (I prefer the tumult of liberty to the quiet of servitude.). Thomas Jefferson

"All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing."

-Edmund Burke, Loosely translated from Thoughts on the Cause of Present Discontents. (1770)