When you first started carrying - Page 4
You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of FirearmsTalk.com!    
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Concealed Carrying & Personal Protection > When you first started carrying

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-26-2013, 01:00 AM   #31
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 90 Times on 72 Posts
Likes Given: 200

So i went ahead and did some research i posted the links above. Ohio has the same restrictions on open carry as it does on concealed with the expection of being able to transport the firearm loaded in your vehicle and with concealment. I went ahead and walked around the block which the part of toledo im in a block is about 2 miles. No issues i even stopped by the grocery store and picked up a few things ran into a sheriff up there who didnt make a big deal out it but did ask me why i had my gun on me. he let me go without a real hassle so will you get questioned? yes but if the cops not a a-hole it shouldnt be a big deal

• Courage
  • Loyalty
  • Rectitude
  • Benevolence
  • TRUST
Guns Owned

Para USA 1911 EXPERT .45ACP - sold

Sig Sauer P238 .380ACP - sold

Glock 23 Gen 3 .40 S&W

Stevens 320 Security 12ga

CCW map

http://www.handgunlaw.us/LicMaps/ccwmap.php

Old 07-26-2013, 02:26 AM   #32

Liked 275 Times on 197 Posts
Likes Given: 55

Quote:
Originally Posted by danf_fl View Post
Then came the endless line of holsters,

...about that....does it ever end? Has it for you?

Never waste time deciding between two guns....buy both of them.

Old 07-26-2013, 02:29 AM   #33

Quote:
Originally Posted by nitestalker View Post
Some people just look better with exposed weapons.
....she has a gun?

Old 07-26-2013, 02:48 AM   #34

Liked 260 Times on 180 Posts
Likes Given: 367

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffkaiser1989 View Post
So i went ahead and did some research i posted the links above. Ohio has the same restrictions on open carry as it does on concealed with the expection of being able to transport the firearm loaded in your vehicle and with concealment. I went ahead and walked around the block which the part of toledo im in a block is about 2 miles. No issues i even stopped by the grocery store and picked up a few things ran into a sheriff up there who didnt make a big deal out it but did ask me why i had my gun on me. he let me go without a real hassle so will you get questioned? yes but if the cops not a a-hole it shouldnt be a big deal
subbed!!!!!

" Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote. " - Benjamin Franklin

Old 07-26-2013, 03:47 AM   #35
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 642 Times on 379 Posts
Likes Given: 207

It made me sick to my stomach coming to the realization that I was carrying a weapon that could end the life of another human being. For the first few weeks I carried my LCP with an empty chamber and one (as in Barney Fife) in the mag. It was also apparent to me that everyone knew I was carrying. After a while I settled down and started really loading my gun. Almost two years into this and it's second nature.

You don't have to remember the truth
NRA Member

Old 07-26-2013, 03:53 AM   #36

Quote:
Originally Posted by gr8oldguy View Post
It made me sick to my stomach coming to the realization that I was carrying a weapon that could end the life of another human being. For the first few weeks I carried my LCP with an empty chamber and one (as in Barney Fife) in the mag. It was also apparent to me that everyone knew I was carrying. After a while I settled down and started really loading my gun. Almost two years into this and it's second nature.
Your perspective is a little different than mine. Although we both possess the same ability, my thoughts go more toward thnking that I have the ability to protect myself and my loved ones. I also believe that as more and more people carry, the mere thought of someone being armed just may prevent some whacko from attacking an innocent person. And since it's concealed carry, this gives a greater advantage to people who do not carry as well. If a bad guy just "thinks" the victim won't be easy, he will move on. You said everyone knew you were carrying....I hope you meant open carry, because nobody should ever know when you conceal carry.

gr8oldguy Likes This 
Old 07-26-2013, 05:03 AM   #37

Liked 62 Times on 39 Posts
Likes Given: 19

I live in Kansas (no "Oz" jokes, please!) and while we experience "interesting" weather now and then, some of our gun laws are among the most free in the nation. While there are writhing pockets of Hoplophobic activity in the Kansas City and Lawrence areas, most Kansans seem to feel that carrying a gun is no big deal AS LONG AS you don't make a big-damn commotion about it in public! "Carrying-concealed" is just that; nobody but you is supposed to know you have the thing on you. Like all newbies, after I got my CCFL I was always adjusting and scrunching around trying to get it just right and generally looking like I had my undies crawling up my rear-end. I wasn't packing a cannon; just a S&W .380 Bodyguard in a Galco Tuk-N-Go which is one of the smallest, lightest reasonably effective guns you can find. After a couple of weeks of carry and learning to accommodate the gun to my clothing and learning that people don't really look to see if you are "packin' heat" (unless you make them through your actions), I simply forgot about it and now it goes with me out the door just like my wallet. Yes, there are times when I can't carry into a government building (the laws here are in flux about this) so I have an armored locker attached to the the under-frame of the passenger seat in my car that the Bodyguard fits in perfectly and stays safely hidden from view. Nowadays I also may carry a .45 caliber officers-sized 1911 as a carry gun and it is only moderately more noticeable to me (though much harder to conceal). Can I shoot to kill to save my life or the life of someone else in mortal danger? After long thought I decided yes I could and I try to make myself as prepared and trained for that possibility as I can. If you can't make that same decision, don't carry a gun.

"History teaches that war begins when nations believe that the price of aggression is cheap." - Ronald Reagan

Old 07-26-2013, 05:20 AM   #38

Liked 2610 Times on 1483 Posts
Likes Given: 2004

It's no big deal. You get used to it.

As others have said, don't cheap out on the holster.

Old 07-26-2013, 07:07 AM   #39

Liked 3048 Times on 1374 Posts
Likes Given: 2857

I was open carrying a couple weeks ago and was talking with a guy for 20 minutes before he even saw the damn thing. Most people just don't notice. If you've got it covered the only people who will notice are people who carry and they don't care.

Old 07-26-2013, 07:48 AM   #40
disappointed & disgusted, But DETERMINED...
FTF_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Liked 3377 Times on 2283 Posts
Likes Given: 710

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjd3282
I was open carrying a couple weeks ago and was talking with a guy for 20 minutes before he even saw the damn thing. Most people just don't notice. If you've got it covered the only people who will notice are people who carry and they don't care.
Two weeks ago in Wally's I saw parents with 4 kids in tow. Both parents had handguns open carry. Actually talked with them for 10+ mins. Both vets, one of the reasons they came to Az. Was to not have to worry about protecting whats theirs and the Safety of their kids. I still won't OC in a store or food est. but on my Tricycle I OC if I'm riding a trail, a road shoulder, or just to the drive thru at my pharmacy...
Both carry Rugers BTW, his an SR45 and hers a SR9c...just saying

"The difference between a successful person and others is not a lack of strength, not a lack of knowledge, but rather in a lack of will." Vince Lombardi

"No One, and I MEAN NO ONE Craps on me and Gets away with it!!! Those days are gone...