Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Concealed Carrying & Personal Protection > When you first started carrying

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-25-2013, 08:32 AM   #21
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 137 Times on 88 Posts
Likes Given: 146

I grew up in a different ERA also I would wear my 1911 on my hip when I went hunting @ the tender age of 15. Can't do that now by yourself.

http://militarysignatures.com/signat...ember14888.png
Retired LE, M.P., Sr. M.P. Investigator, armorer, F.B.I. Trained Rangemaster/Firearms Instructor , Presently Forensic Document Examiner for D.H.S.

Old 07-25-2013, 09:40 AM   #22
Podcast Host/ American Patriot/DAV!
FTF_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Liked 2696 Times on 1850 Posts
Likes Given: 533

Had a lot of exp. with several older family including My Dad in Both the Military & LE.

First time I Carried openly: was going to CJ school and got part timer as a "Shotgun" man on a 3-man Armored car for a well Known NYC Company. A few months later i got my Carry(and also Target Premise) licenses. Carried a Colt Diamondback 4"(now long gone) on my right hip, and to and from work(which involved the #'s 2 &5 IRT Subway Lines in the Bronx unless I got a ride from a co-worker), a Colt Cobra, 2", which was the Lightweight version of the Det. Special my Dad carried off duty, without Incident for over a year before leaving school for Indentured servitude to our White haired uncle.. where I carried Both a Commander 1911 & an M9 Eventually.....and sadly had to unholster and "Un-Azz" many times...

Dr. Bill(Dr.Football)
CWO-4 US ARMY Ret./Med.
Proud to be a Soldier, Proud to be a Night Stalker!
The 160th Special Operations Aviation Regiment(S.O.A.R.) The Army's Taxi for Special Operators *NSDQ*

Old 07-25-2013, 03:03 PM   #23
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 110 Times on 68 Posts
Likes Given: 158

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick1967 View Post
I was nervous at first. But after a while you realize that if you leave it alone no one will notice it.
This. I'm still relatively new to CC, and find myself tugging my shirt down in the back periodically. I know the gun is covered, and I know the only reason anyone would suspect I have one is the shirt pulling, but it's a hard habit to break. Getting better though.

Old 07-25-2013, 03:11 PM   #24

Liked 2175 Times on 1468 Posts
Likes Given: 1191

Why be nervous carrying?
Its the buttwipes that shud be nervous about you carrying

Texan By Birth & Choice
USMC/VIET NAM VET

Old 07-25-2013, 06:03 PM   #25

Liked 11 Times on 10 Posts

u can test pocket (or any other carry) right in your home, legally. I suggest a Kydex front pants pocket rig, with carefully rounded corners, for comfort and a suede (or some other padding) on the skin-contact side of the rig.

Old 07-25-2013, 07:10 PM   #26
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 42 Times on 23 Posts
Likes Given: 53

It's healthy to make sure you're doing it right before you do it in public. By the time you get your permit, you should be ready.

People don't notice much. Try to remember what the last five people you passed in public — on the street, in the lobby, at the store — were wearing. Odds are you can't. And those people didn't observe you any more closely than you observed them.

I don't know how many CCW holders there are in Ohio. But if you look that up, you'll have some idea of how often you pass someone else who is carrying a gun. In Florida, we're over a million permit holders. I figure every time I go to a restaurant or a movie, there are two or three people carrying (besides me). Have you noticed them?

One of my carry guns is a P238. I have a Remora pocket holster for it, and it disappears in my front pants pocket. People are more likely to notice odd behavior than anything about the way you're dressed.

Practice. Get the permit. Carry with confidence.

"An armed society is a polite society." — Robert A. Heinlein

"After a shooting spree, they always want to take the guns away from the people who didn't do it. I sure as hell wouldn't want to live in a society where the only people allowed guns are the police and the military."
— William S. Burroughs

People Like This 
Old 07-25-2013, 09:02 PM   #27

Liked 6 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 4

I was super nervous when I first started carrying, I had to check in the mirror everytime I went outside. And when I was out at the store or something I felt like everyone knew, but after a while I noticed that even my friends didn't even notice I was carrying and my shirts rode up and my guns been fully exposed (at the house) and they never noticed. Haha but when I first started I was in a gas station and in walked a cop. I was so nervous he'd stop and talk to me if he noticed (I look younger than 21) but he didn't even give me a second glance.

Old 07-25-2013, 09:32 PM   #28

Liked 77 Times on 63 Posts
Likes Given: 152

Quote:
Originally Posted by utf59 View Post
It's healthy to make sure you're doing it right before you do it in public. By the time you get your permit, you should be ready.

People don't notice much. Try to remember what the last five people you passed in public — on the street, in the lobby, at the store — were wearing. Odds are you can't. And those people didn't observe you any more closely than you observed them.

I don't know how many CCW holders there are in Ohio. But if you look that up, you'll have some idea of how often you pass someone else who is carrying a gun. In Florida, we're over a million permit holders. I figure every time I go to a restaurant or a movie, there are two or three people carrying (besides me). Have you noticed them?

One of my carry guns is a P238. I have a Remora pocket holster for it, and it disappears in my front pants pocket. People are more likely to notice odd behavior than anything about the way you're dressed.

Practice. Get the permit. Carry with confidence.
i will admit you make a good point i however do notice when a person is carrying but thats mostly because ive been looking for it. There are a lot of CCW holders here in toledo but not very many people OC. just an observation. Oh and i looked up the laws here in ohio you can open carry as long as your not

A: In a school zone
B: Any type of federal office
C: any place with a posted no weapons sign
  • Courage
  • Loyalty
  • Rectitude
  • Benevolence

Guns Owned

Para USA 1911 EXPERT .45ACP

Sig Sauer P238 .380ACP

For reviews on various products check out my youtube!

https://www.youtube.com/user/Hellfire198362

CCW map

http://www.handgunlaw.us/LicMaps/ccwmap.php

Old 07-25-2013, 09:34 PM   #29

Liked 77 Times on 63 Posts
Likes Given: 152

http://www.opencarry.org/?page_id=286

http://forum.opencarry.org/forums/showthread.php?99276-Toledo-open-carry
  • Courage
  • Loyalty
  • Rectitude
  • Benevolence

Guns Owned

Para USA 1911 EXPERT .45ACP

Sig Sauer P238 .380ACP

For reviews on various products check out my youtube!

https://www.youtube.com/user/Hellfire198362

CCW map

http://www.handgunlaw.us/LicMaps/ccwmap.php

Old 07-25-2013, 09:47 PM   #30
Podcast Host/ American Patriot/DAV!
FTF_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Liked 2696 Times on 1850 Posts
Likes Given: 533

I made my wife nutz the first few weeks here in Az.(90 days as a state resident before you can purchase, own, and Carry Open or otherwise) so as soon as we were here 91 days we went to get our Rugers. it would be close to a year by the time we bought a house and I had the rest of my Guns & safes shipped here bonded/secured..

I would walk around our small 2-1/2 room Apt. and say "Honey, can you see where it is?" By the time I got my CCW late last fall, I sometimes forgot I had it on too!

Dr. Bill(Dr.Football)
CWO-4 US ARMY Ret./Med.
Proud to be a Soldier, Proud to be a Night Stalker!
The 160th Special Operations Aviation Regiment(S.O.A.R.) The Army's Taxi for Special Operators *NSDQ*