When you first started carrying - Page 2
You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of FirearmsTalk.com!    
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Concealed Carrying & Personal Protection > When you first started carrying

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-25-2013, 01:30 AM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 11 Times on 10 Posts

I think that I remember that being the case, but it was 45 years ago and my memory has failed me before. :-) I quit worrying about the gun being noticed when I started using front pants pocket holsters, (and gave up on revolvers) about 30 years ago.

Old 07-25-2013, 01:35 AM   #12

Liked 25 Times on 20 Posts

I go back and forth between open carry and concealed. It just depends on what I'm doing. Because I open carry very often, I usually don't care if I'm printing or showing. Honestly, if I'm concealing, I never take it off. Banks, city hall...doesn't matter. Those are the only times I'm really worried about printing. Other then that, I don't care

Old 07-25-2013, 01:42 AM   #13

Liked 1145 Times on 592 Posts
Likes Given: 49

Um, I was less nervous when I got my CCL. Texas was relatively late to the game in even having carry licenses, and there were times that I chose to take the risk of carring illegally when it fell into the "rather be judged by 12 than carried by 6" category.

Old 07-25-2013, 02:41 AM   #14

Liked 85 Times on 69 Posts
Likes Given: 183

alot of intrrsting feedback here. im not sure why i am as nervous as i am maybe its the horror stories a friend told me or maybe im just not as confident with my gun yet. And when i saw a cop earlier when i was about to get my gun out of my car and put it on my belt to go hiking in the woods i decided not to take my gun with me for fear of being harassed

• Courage
  • Loyalty
  • Rectitude
  • Benevolence
  • TRUST
Guns Owned

Para USA 1911 EXPERT .45ACP - sold

Sig Sauer P238 .380ACP - sold

Glock 23 Gen 3 .40 S&W

For reviews on various products check out my youtube!

https://www.youtube.com/user/Hellfire198362

CCW map

http://www.handgunlaw.us/LicMaps/ccwmap.php

Old 07-25-2013, 03:05 AM   #15
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 331 Times on 180 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffkaiser1989 View Post
See i dont have my ccw yet and im worried that if i walk down the street open carry ill get stopped and harassed. In this city not to many people open carry. you see it maybe once every few months or so. And i have been practicing at home for when i get my ccw the holster i have is a inside and outside the pants holster and is ambidextrious. Cept i cant seem to find the right spot to put my gun where its concealed. I thought i picked a small enough gun to be easy to conceal buts its proving challenging. And i have a Sig P238. I believe its a sub compact. I have the standard mag with 6+1 rnds and the extended 7+1 with the plate on the bottom that adds enough room for your pinky to fit on the gun.

EDIT: I also live in a rather bad part of town hence why i bought the gun and why i feel the need to carry it.
have you tried pocket carry.

Old 07-25-2013, 05:28 AM   #16

Liked 55 Times on 52 Posts

O yeah... totally normal at first. Get used to it pretty fast tho

Old 07-25-2013, 06:28 AM   #17

Liked 85 Times on 69 Posts
Likes Given: 183

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimogden1984 View Post
have you tried pocket carry.
dont have my ccw yet
  • Courage
  • Loyalty
  • Rectitude
  • Benevolence
  • TRUST
Guns Owned

Para USA 1911 EXPERT .45ACP - sold

Sig Sauer P238 .380ACP - sold

Glock 23 Gen 3 .40 S&W

For reviews on various products check out my youtube!

https://www.youtube.com/user/Hellfire198362

CCW map

http://www.handgunlaw.us/LicMaps/ccwmap.php

Old 07-25-2013, 06:42 AM   #18

Liked 4792 Times on 2680 Posts
Likes Given: 1736

Some people just look better with exposed weapons.

carry.jpg  

Old 07-25-2013, 09:28 AM   #19

Liked 260 Times on 180 Posts
Likes Given: 367

Oh yea I remember the first day I had my permit. I was carrying a glock 20 in a Itac Mtac minotaur hybrid IWB at about 4:30 and it printed like a freakin quad 50 and I was so nervous I felt like everyone was staring at me. I looked like the hunchback of notre dame. trying to shift my frame to cover the print.

After the 3rd day I didnt even think about it anymore. Then I got a single clip universal IWB and started appendix carrying and and even that big 20 damn near disappeared. No it's like putting a wallet on. I forget im even carrying.

" Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote. " - Benjamin Franklin

Old 07-25-2013, 09:31 AM   #20
Devil's Advocate and Provocateur
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 1349 Times on 709 Posts
Likes Given: 612

Jeff, the best thing you can do is brush up on your state's open carry and concealed carry laws, so that YOU know the law and understand it. Then, believe it or not, he next best thing is to walk up to a cop and just chat him up! Do this first unarmed, for your sake, and just ask him what the LEO Climate towards open carry is like. This is best done when they are getting gas, coffee, lunch or other mundane settings - do not approach while they are writing tickets or other LEO work! Most officers are happy to give you 10 minutes to clarify a question. If he honestly doesn't know, ask him for a referral to someone in the department that handles the subject. If your problem is LEOs perception of you, it's best to ask a LEO! I do this EVERY time I move to a new area/state/city.

As far as the general public, just don't fiddle with your gun. Readjusting, removing, changing position is all done at home, in your car, or a locked bathroom stall. Don't, under any circumstances, lean on it with your elbow, rest your hand on it as a brace, readjust your pants or shirt over it or anything else involving the gun. Playing with it is what makes everyone nervous! However, if you just walk through a public place normally, even with a slight "printing," no one will pay you one bit of attention! They're too busy updating their Facebook page and making sure they're on schedule to make it home for "Dancing With the Stars." They don't care one whit about you...until you give them reason to. Besides, only LEOs and other CCW holders know what "printing" looks like. If you have a CCW, neither one of those groups cares if your carrying - the rest aren't paying any attention. My wife and I practice at the mall spotting those with carry guns just for fun! I warned a guy once he was about to lose his gun (cheap nylon holster with no belt) to save his CCW and avoid another embarrassing "gun nut" news story.

Use a stiff gun belt, a great fitted holster, and you will have nothing to worry about! Your gun will ride with you for years to come. If you want a little extra confidence in the beginning, get a gun cover. Just a very light, thin shirt or vest that you wear over everything - it should be a size bigger or longer (tall sizes) to give extra coverage. You wear it unbuttoned over your regular shirt and just let it hang free. The extra free-floating layer makes spotting a gun in a proper holster nearly Impossible.

Good luck and enjoy!

“Malo periculosam, libertatem quam quietam servitutem." (I prefer the tumult of liberty to the quiet of servitude.). Thomas Jefferson

"All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing."

-Edmund Burke, Loosely translated from Thoughts on the Cause of Present Discontents. (1770)

Last edited by TekGreg; 07-25-2013 at 09:35 AM.
truevil1313 Likes This